Mousematt’s trip to Alton Towers

I’m not an Oblivion fan, but almost any other coaster at Alton Towers is better than RRR.

1 Like

Of course you’re not. I should have guessed. If I like it, you hate it. And vice versa. We’re like Jack Sprat and his wife.

1 Like

I’ve heard pretty awful things about RRR including complaints about comfort and pacing. The Big One is comparable to Magnum, Desperado , Steel Force, Mamba, or Wild Thing and to a lesser extent Steel Eel, Phantom’s Revenge, and Lightning Run. It’s surprising that it remains the tallest coaster in the UK given that all of those rides have been surpassed in pretty much every dimension (speed, comfort, thrill, height, bells and whistles) here in the states.

It may be a planning issue. Or even a space issue. We don’t have that many big theme parks in the UK. And there are often strict rules about what you can build — especially how high you can build them.

I know Alton Towers, in particular, isn’t allow to build above the tree line which leads to some of their super creative designs like Nemesis and Oblivion. It was always a super frustrating scenario requirement in Roller Coaster Tycoon though. :wink:

2 Likes

I’d never heard of Alton Towers, so of course I had to go google. LOVED the themed room! The grounds do look beautiful. But I practically got seasick watching a POV video of The Smiler. I think I could do Wicker Man, but every other coaster looks like a solid NO from me! Thanks for sharing the report and your pictures.

2 Likes

In Scotland term ends at the end of June and starts again mid August.

In England I believe term tends to end 3rd week or so in July and starts again in September.

Not sure about Wales or Northern Island.