Mousematt’s Epic North American Adventure — Now Featuring Final Thoughts

Casa Loma also has fun Halloween events:

It’s in the evenings and showing good availability…Casa Loma is also reportedly haunted but what old mansion isn’t…and yeah, it isn’t old (or big even) compared to England by a long shot but I have enjoyed visits there. There is a good audio tour (that may or may not be available because COVID).

3 Likes

I was going to say the exact same, that little if anything would be open. The ferry schedule is probably much reduced after Thanksgiving, if it wasn’t after Labour Day. It’s still pretty but I wouldn’t call it a “must see”. Especially if you don’t cycle. If you do, that might bump it higher. At least you won’t be run over.

1 Like

I want to do this!!! Not that anything makes up for our canceled Boo Bash tickets.

That’s a good call, but I’m totally not into Halloween.

My primary interest is the view of the city from the islands. I do like me a good view.

3 Likes

I thought the islands were really cute (but we went in the summer). We cycled around and checked out the cottage area. I thought it was so neat that people lived on an island so close to downtown TO! I’d go on a nice day (and make sure stuff like bike rentals are still open).

3 Likes

News update

I spent much of the day transferring my plans from my spreadsheet to my iPhone calendar. And then adding in detail and adjusting. It’s virtually perfect.

There were three missing elements.

First, I wanted to do the MK fireworks dessert after party on my last night. Booking this turned out to merit a thread of its own. (The link takes you to the tl;dr. Spoiler: I was on the phone to Disney for three hours.)

Second, I really want to have breakfast at Topolino’s Terrace. I’m checking obsessively and have two separate companies doing searches for me. No dice yet.

Third, I think I do want to try the CG prix fixe 50th anniversary dinner thing. As I keep saying, I do like me a view. Reservations open tomorrow morning.

Other than that the plan is a masterpiece. Obviously there will be, erm, fine tuning over the coming days.

13 Likes

The islands are nuts, if you think they’re interesting you should seek out the Toronto Life article about a battle over a property - the houses can only passed be down to specific family members, if the owner does without a spouse or child they go to a trust who alerts the first 150 people on a waiting list to see who wants to buy it (at the appraised price, way cheaper than homes go for in Toronto) so this elderly man legally adopted his middle-aged friend so he could then bequeath him the home and there was a huge kerfuffle.

The article is here: Inside a vicious property battle on the Islands

9 Likes

Great big giant no from me….

MINOR DISASTER

My return flight from MCO to LHR just got cancelled.

They have offered me an alternative but it routes through Miami with a three and a half hour stopover.

Net effect: I just lost 4hrs of park time at UOR.

2 Likes

Tell them they can’t do that to you!!!

2 Likes

Yes, they must be a misunderstanding. Has no one told them you are on the flight?

3 Likes

That’s far from ideal.

Oh no!

I would go further and say that it is suboptimal.

I’m not devastated. It’s just annoying. I basically had two and a half full days at UOR. I now have two and a bit — the size of the bit depending on how early in the morning I’m willing to get up on departure day. It may be enough to do both Hagrid and VelociCoaster. Which would be a good way to end the trip.

I’ve swapped an afternoon at UOR for a pointless flight in the wrong direction (albeit a short one) and a three and a half hours in a departure lounge.

At least I’m travelling business class. So the departure lounge will be quite nice.

7 Likes

Just booked CG for the special anniversary dinner. Booking window opened at 0525 EST.

I chose 7.20pm with Enchantment starting at 8pm.

Good timing? I figure time enough for a cocktail and maybe the starter before heading outside?

Edit: Changed it to 7pm.

Edit: Changed it back.

15 Likes

:rofl::rofl:
I hope the actual trip report is this entertaining. The planning report certainly hasn’t disappointed👍🏻

12 Likes

As always, there’s method in the madness. I had two considerations in my mind.

Timing the meal so that there would be a suitable break to step outside to watch the fireworks.

And ending the meal late enough so that the bus craziness at MK for the journey back to Pop will have subsided a bit.

6 Likes

Mousematt plans like I do. This is my favorite thread.

6 Likes

Calmly and with precision, but with an open mind and relaxed attitude?

10 Likes

Or like a total psycho. One or the other.

18 Likes