Mousematt’s Epic North American Adventure — Now Featuring Final Thoughts

Your vacation is YOURS to decide what to do! You shouldn’t feel any pressure to have the vacation someone else thinks you should have.

10 Likes

There is a LOT to be said for just being the person that you were created to be. We all think you’re a pretty fab version of you. That’s all we want for you! :heart:

But…I still want food pictures. Repetitive or not. :laughing:

15 Likes

I don’t even know who that someone else is. Other than a voice in my head.

4 Likes

As long as you know it isn’t us! :laughing:

2 Likes

Oh boy . . .

In 85 we took a 2 wk trip to Europe. Some bus tour that went to cities in the Netherlands, Germany, France, Switzerland and Austria. This Cathedral, that Museum.
In Lausanne for 3 nights, most opted for the additional tours, like Lake Como. DH and I took increasingly smaller trains until we wound up at the Schilthorn, where I discovered that if we took the cable car down, we could walk the 5 miles back to the train station.
Ah! well, not wilderness, but at least country! That was our vacation we should have had . . .

6 Likes

this can be as well defined as the length of a piece of string.

There was a cartoon on the memes and jokes thread that while amusing, got me thinking.
Everyone’s idea of contentment is very different. Some people are quite happy to sit about drinking alcohol. Some people are quite happy to be on the go all the time walking and running. Some people are quite happy to be outdoors, rain or shine. Some people are quite happy to curl up inside and lose a day to a book.
As long as you’re content*, then that’s you living a life fully lived.

*NB content is different from happy. There’s no pressure on anyone to be happy. It would be great if everyone was, all of the time, but we can thank Inside Out for reminding us that it’s ok to let Sadness take the wheel sometimes.

That’s as losely defined as a fully lived life!! Fun is just what pleases you.

12 Likes

That’s when I’m going with my girls!!

Nope. Do what you want to do and skip the things you don’t.

What an excellent plan!

6 Likes

You are on vacation. If you spend your vacation rushing around doing things you feel like you should probably do and get home feeling vaguely harassed then that is a bad vacation. Plus two weeks in one city is a long time! As a Torontonian I would tell somebody that that’s probably more time than you need in Toronto. So if you do one week of doing things and one week of 30 Rock I feel you’ve wisely used your time.

I once went to visit a friend who lived in Washington and we spent the better part of the weekend watching a Mythbusters marathon.

7 Likes

Ah! But which Washington? (Asks the Washington Stater!) :joy:

2 Likes

DC - full of things to see and do and yet I spent most of the time ogling Grant Imahara.

5 Likes

I’ve done quite a bit of traveling, and my favorite part is always just walking the streets and exploring the neighborhoods. In Paris, I didn’t even go to the Louvre because I was just “museumed out” after a month touring Europe and going to SO many museums. Enjoy your binge watching and Hortons.

6 Likes

RIP :cry:

3 Likes

Sob.

1 Like

I think for sure, you’ve DONE Toronto. You do you! And if you need a break from being the tourist, skip Niagara, hang out in your apartment, order in pizza (if you like pizza - DO NOT GET PIZZA PIZZA) and watch your show. Unless you lose a bunch of money by cancelling?

I had always travelled alone until my current situation with the partner and kid. And I had to because nobody wanted to travel with me. I was the only traveler in my circle of peeps - and I did travel. I travelled a lot! It’s never going to be perfect, and when you are alone it’s hard sometimes! But you have your friends here! When I did my travelling, there was only handwritten letters and then on my last long trip, finally email. It took awhile to mitigate my feelings of feeling lonely AND feeling like I had to have the best time, all the time.

Just do what feels right! And you are going to be in WDW in four days! Very excited for you!

5 Likes

My girlfriend lives in Albany, NY, and I live in Pittsburgh. We get together a couple of times a year in NYC for a long weekend. Our last trip, we stayed inside the hotel and spent all day Saturday just bingeing The Great British Bake-Off. And it was perfect!

4 Likes

Just watched HEA. It was filmed from multiple viewpoints in 8K. The big screen TV in the apartment is big and 4K (somewhat outclassing my TV at home).

Anyhoo, the quality is mindblowing. I saw things I’ve never seen or appreciated before. And I didn’t know that they edited HEA to fit the new castle decorations.

You can watch it here: CLIFFLIX - "Happily Ever After 2021" Filmed In 8k - YouTube

10 Likes

It’s a struggle sometimes to know when to push yourself to try something or do something or whether to just let yourself be comfortable and safe. The trick is finding your ideal ratio, I think. No one else gets to decide for you. You’ve done a lot already on this trip.

4 Likes

Congratulations @sanstitre_has_left_the_building! You now qualify as fully vaccinated in the US!

“In general, people are considered fully vaccinated… COVID-19 vaccines that have been listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization (such as AstraZeneca/Oxford).”

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

7 Likes

Wait. Was I not before? Was this whole enterprise doomed until yesterday?

2 Likes

The part I don’t like about bus tours is that you only get to go where the tour takes you, and not make your own meandering decisions. Part of being in a place is just soaking it in. Sitting in your fancy view apartment and watching TV fits that bill. Two weeks is a long time to be in any city that isn’t your own. There are zero things wrong with doing nothing as many days as you want to at this point.

My sister and I did a long trip backpacking through Europe and also found ourselves somewhat bored of museums and churches after a couple of weeks. Paris was also our last stop. We picked a short, maybe even 1-2 hours short, tour of the Louvre to hit the “highlights” and that was totally enough.

5 Likes