Mousematt’s Epic North American Adventure — Now Featuring Final Thoughts

:rofl:

3 Likes

But this is true of every trip, not just Disney. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

My husband always swears we are never going again when I am knee deep in trip planning for the family, and then when we are there he is extremely grateful that everything goes so smoothly and we rarely wait in lines.

Now though, he just encourages me to take the kids :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Is it funny that everyone from the Greater Toronto Area knows what he’s referring to?

6 Likes

I think the success of the first trip is the only reason he agreed to another…so now I’m feeling the pressure to make it just like the first. Except btw, everything I learned about how to plan and work the FP system (in 2018) just changed…so there’s that.

3 Likes

Yeah, we are all just flying by the seat of our pants. BUT, all of us here still have the edge …we are just a little bit less comfortable with how much the edge keeps changing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Matt, I promise this is my last Toronto tip - just an FYI that Vaccine passports came into effect yesterday, September 22, 2021. I use the term passports loosely because there is no app or anything at this point, you have to bring proof of your vaxx plus ID to dine inside, attend events, go to museums, etc.

5 Likes

I’m grateful for all tips and am happy to receive more!

5 Likes

Don’t eat yellow snow.

20 Likes

FTFM

12 Likes

Just caught up and can I just say that the ingenuity and commitment and effort to get to wdw makes me SO.FREAKIN.HAPPY. if my 3 year old wasn’t psycho, and my 8 year old didn’t need every second of school to stay on track, and my husband didn’t hate traveling, I would absolutely 100% do something like this. It’s crazy in the best sense of the word, and I am in full belief that The Stars Will Align to make this your most memorable wdw trip yet.
I’ve not been to Toronto, but Canadians are superior to Americans in almost everything… learned this living in Minnesota for 4 years, which is Canada Lite. I was technically closer living in Cleveland, but Ohio is definitely NOT Canada Lite.
I’m psyched to follow along. Happy planning!!!

14 Likes

That’s always good advice.

3 Likes

Can you imagine what I’d make of this if I were a worrier?

10 Likes

Here’s some practical tips & opinions for you - there’s a lot of grocery stores near the ICE condos, but they are not all created equal. From most to least expensive, you have Rabba’s, Farm Boy, Longo’s, and a Walmart Grocery Pickup location. Most of your staples can be gotten from Walmart pickup (order online, then walk down to the pickup location when they tell you its ready, a day or so later). In this area (for the most part) you’ll find the same brands at Wal-Mart as you will at the other stores. For fresh produce and Meat, I usually prefer Longo’s. I would consider the St. Lawrence Market a ‘must-see’ for light grocery shopping and souvenirs.

Bay St. is the Canadian version of Wall St. Everything is overpriced there and same within a few block radius. It’s usually VERY dead at night.

The Theatre district is on King St, between Bathurst and John. Most theatres haven’t re-opened yet, but the restaurants that have managed to re-open are running great specials to lure people there in the absence of shows.

Eaton Centre is Toronto’s downtown mall and Times Square equivalent. You can walk underground all the way there on the PATH, but it’s difficult. You may have to stop and ask for directions more than once. Go outside at least once - there’s usually some movie studio or tv show running promotions around that can be fun. TIFF recently ended, so there might be more opportunity than usual for celebrity sightings if that’s your thing.

The subway in Toronto is U-shaped through downtown, meeting at Union Station and going NE and NW from there. NE takes you to Eaton Centre, Gay Village, Rosedale (Mansions), and York Park. NW will get you to the AGO, University of Toronto, and little Italy.

Most people want Poutine at least once while they’re in the city (but I can’t in good conscience recommend it more than once a week). Get it from a specialty poutine shop - NomNomNom is the best place that’s survived COVID, but Smoke’s Poutinerie is a lot closer to you and almost as good.

No matter how tempting it might smell or cheap it might be, NEVER get anything from Pizza Pizza. It is greasy, nasty, and likely to make you sick.

14 Likes

Now Pizza Pizza is not that bad! It’s my kids’ favourite for take-out pizza. Nothing fancy, just a straight forward pizza. Maybe it’s worse in downtown Toronto?

2 Likes

Wait, is Pizza Pizza the same as Little Caesars?

2 Likes

I was wondering that too!

Nope, they’re different.

I was ready to concur that it was garbage!

2 Likes

same!!