MouseGirl42’s week in the World: the Serially Dopey adventures

Congrats!

3 Likes

Congrats on the finish! I love your Ariel bound! You look great. Rest up for tomorrow.

4 Likes

Perfect!

What a GREAT shot!

I think you did exceptionally well with the (lack of) training you’ve had leading up to this! Congratulations!!! Enjoy the hot tub!!!

You looked so fantastic! Great shot in front of the castle! :heart:

7 Likes

2:30 is still better than I ever did even with decent training! Way to go.

3 Likes

My best was a 2:36 and I trained hard for that (and trained on the actual course, which was extremely helpful)

3 Likes

More in depth race comments… some of them are definitely not for all audiences.

It took me about 5.5 miles to feel like I had really hit a groove - and even then, I had a couple stops.

My right knee didn’t bother me nearly at all. Amazingly, the first part to get sore was my groin muscles, around 4 miles. This is not a promising sign for stamina for tomorrow, and tells me a lot about how to approach the race.

My LEFT knee decided to get cranky around the Grand Floridian, but relaxed by the time I got back to world drive. Crisis averted.

My right knee did, though, make itself known in one rather specific way - and that brings me to the following. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Because, spoilers!

I must have stopped at every port-a-loo (a phrase I learned from some other runners yesterday) between the start and MK. You know how much it sucks to take on and off a wet spandex bathing suit? Trade that out for a sweaty spandex sparkleskirt, and you’ll know how I felt. I lost track of how many bathroom breaks I took. Really.

Anyway, back to my knee. Whenever I would sit to do my business, I would feel the achy soreness of my right knee. Otherwise, it was pretty much a non-issue today.

I did NOT forget my prerace fuel today, nor my midcourse fuel, so that went well.

The return course at Epcot was different this year, for the first time since I started running this half in 2012. Ordinarily, it’s bus loop -> backstage -> left turn, water stop -> onstage at SSE (west side by the restrooms), straight up the promenade to World Showcase Lagoon, aground the triangular planter, back up the promenade to SSE -> offstage SSE east, -> out to Imagine lot, Finish.

This year, instead, it was bus loop-> backstage -> RIGHT turn, water stop, around behind Future World West, -> onstage at Imagination, then straight to the promenade and across to the SSE east offstage exit (finish as normal). I guess I don’t mind the course change, I just wish I knew why.

Also, a dream finder and figment photo op would have been a hit for me.

7 Likes

I think mine was 2:43 for my first one. I never managed to better that.

1 Like

Dedication right here!

One of the BOGP Lizards, who dresses in phenomenal costumes every year, dressed up as Dream Finder (and carried Figment) for the 5K. He was featured in the runDisney photo summary that day

1 Like

Well, it took place here in my own city, and the time my family was operating with one car to save on expenses. That 13.1 happened to begin and end very near to where my husband works, and where I had to drop him off, so it was not so much dedication as convenience. Still, it was super helpful to know the course like the back of my hand come race day so that I knew when to push and when to take it easy. It was a cold cold day. But I was so warm inside :heart:

4 Likes

Omg your Ariel skirt is amazing. Where’d you get it?

1 Like

Lol, I thought you were talking about a WDW race!

1 Like

No, I don’t think that’s possible given that a lot of the courses take place on roadways, in parks, and backstage in the world :wink:

2 Likes

My best ever was a 1:43 something, back before I ran my first marathon. Nowadays a good half for me is in the 1:50-1:55 zone, so I was definitely off the pace today - though that history is also before hormones, which will have had an effect as well.

Still, I’m perfectly satisfied with the run today. Powerade and food will be the orders of business all day.

5 Likes

Hey that didn’t work

3 Likes

I met someone today during the walk to the starting line who was wearing a purple l/s as his base, the yellow “figment” shirt that Disney sells, and a 1980s era figment hat - the one where the face board is figment’s eyes and his horns come up out of the back. I had one as a kid which no longer fits my head.

My first question to him was, “so, how long have you had that hat?” Because it hasn’t been available since sometime before 1991.

5 Likes

They also come to most of the runDisney expos and many other races around the country; their “plant” is outside Tampa…ish. They’re a small business and all of their skirts are handmade.

I only have, like, 10 or so…

5 Likes

congrats on the finish! and i agree on the strange epcot portion. maybe because of the skyline construction? but i was happy that there was an Up! character spot at about 12.5 miles — it was the only one i stopped for cause no way i’m not hugging Dug.

5 Likes

or maybe because of GOTG?

Congrats on finishing the half!! Glad to hear your day involves resting and the hot tub. Love your running outfit.

2 Likes