Morally questionable FPP question

That sounds like Commie talk to me. Are you a Commie, son?

I’m booked for one night at the Contemporary. I’m travelling alone. I’ll have two beds all to myself. And two sinks. That’s so unfair in all kinds of ways. I don’t even need two beds. And what about people who can’t afford the Contemporary. The price per night is high because people like me pay it. If we refused to pay such high prices, they’d lower them and then more people could stay there.

He lies a lot. I wouldn’t always take everything he says at face value.

1 Like

I would be happy to even things out by utilizing the amenities you would be wasting. All on the up, of course, as I’m happily married. I’ve just never stayed CR before, and I do love CG!

2 Likes

I’m not sure I could be friends with someone like him. LOL

Count yourself lucky. You don’t have to live with him!

2 Likes

Again, you are comparing apples to oranges. I’m saying your decision is hurting OTHER GUESTS, not WDW. But you are now talking about whether it is fair that Disney charges you, personally, more or not. Whether or not they do is of no consequence to other guests whatsoever. It is ultimately your decision to pay for that room at their prices. Whether you do or not doesn’t impact other guests.

But taking a room (and potentially FPPs) you have no intention of using has the POTENTIAL to negatively impact others. It may not. It may. But you asked about the morality of it. I’m sorry you don’t like my answer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried scrolling through a few pages of episodes, but none have that topic listed so are just lumped in with other discussions.

In the last 3 or 4 someone had asked if the leading room reservation helped with getting dining ADRs and they referred back to the topic and went over it all quickly again, but can’t remember how far back the more in depth discussions were, sorry.

1 Like

Wait… you live with your friend who lies a lot? That seems like a bad arrangement all around.

You may wish to divest yourself of this friend. Before, you know, his lies start to be about whether or not he’s going to actually kick in for the rent.

2 Likes

Strategically speaking, I would strongly recommend saving any cash that one would spend on a VIP tour or other “advtange scheme”, and put it into another account to use at a later date for when the inevitable return to WDW is happening and the TSL hype dies down (which I think it will fairly quickly, but I could be wrong) and the Star Wars stuff starts to open up.

Additionally, don’t forget there is an insane amount of updates, not just TSL and Star Wars Land, happening all over WDW over the next few years so I think pacing yourself instead of trying to go all out each time is going to be extremely beneficial…to your friend …and his bank account. :wink:

But getting back to the “moral” question… screw it. If you’re ok parting with the fees, then that’s all there is to it. No one will know but you. It’s not like you wear a badge around the park saying “cancel-ator!”

5 Likes

I think you’re not understanding my point, or I’m not making it clearly. Anyone who books a room blocks it from being booked by anyone else. I’ve booked at room at the Contemporary that sleeps four. But I’m having it all to myself. From a utilitarian perspective — greatest happiness of the greatest number — this is morally wrong. I am not allowing the utility of the room to be maximised. So other guests are suffering. There’s a party of four out there who can’t get the room they want, and all because of my selfish desire to have a room to myself.

Well, I’m sleeping with him, so that kind of balances out the fact he doesn’t contribute much to the rent. (Actually, nor does my dog. He doesn’t even offer to help pay for the groceries.)

At some point my credit card company is going to say, “Don’t you think you should actually start paying off this credit card before you book yet another luxury trip to WDW?”

(I’m kidding. I’m paying for the trip out of my savings. Which I have less of now. At some point I’ll run out.)

That’s a fair point. I do plan my trips as if they will be my last ever. (Though, actually, I’m already saying things to myself like, “On my next trip I’ll focus more on the BC/YC/Boardwalk area so I don’t need to do that this time.”)

I’m actually pretty comfortable with my plan — though I’m still not sure that it will actually work. My concern is more about what the regular posters to this forum will think, as I really like this forum and I want the people on it to keep liking me. Assuming they do. (Which I’m not wholly sure about. Someone called me trite the other day. I think they were joking.)

Oh, and PS. This is all about TSL. I bloody hate TSL. If it weren’t for TSL this trip and my planning would be so much more chilled out.

3 Likes

That sounds like a situation to be even more concerned about rampant lying.

But hey, you manage your own relationships how you like. I just know that would not work in a relationship I’m a part of.

1 Like

You do know I’m talking about myself, right? As in, I’m sleeping with me. I am my friend. I’m the one that lies a lot. (Though only about not making any more changes to my WDW plans.)

4 Likes

Of course!

But it’s waaaaay more fun to pretend you’re talking about someone else. :smiley:

I’m a snarky and sarcastic b***h. You haven’t figured that out yet? :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

LOL

oh the SHADE of it all… :wink:

Nonsense, that’s just a hint for you to know when it’s time to sign up for a different/new card.

1 Like

It still isn’t the same thing. You are paying for a room you are utilizing. Disney has single King bed rooms in the Contemporary that they could give you if available. If they don’t, you are obtaining what they have available with the intention of using it. Disney rents rooms, not beds. You are paying to use a room, regardless the number of beds. Now, if you were going out of your way to ensure you got a room that had as many beds as possible knowing you wouldn’t use them even though you would otherwise be perfectly fine with a room with fewer beds, then I would question the ethics of such a decision.

But in this scenario, you are taking an entire room out of the equation for anyone to use knowing you aren’t going to use it. And, the purpose for this is to get access to FPPs ahead of everyone else who is trying to get FPPs for their 60 day window.

It isn’t a matter of whether you CAN do it, or whether WDW allows it, you asked about the morality of it (which suggests to me you already consider it for yourself to be morally concerning) and so I’m giving an answer that takes into full account of that decision, not just isolated to the impact to Disney or yourself.

I won’t quibble, however, with the distinction about this being an issue of morality or ethics. I would suggest it is primarily an ethical question. The morality question ultimately depends on your personal belief system. Me, as a practicing Christian, see that the MORAL implication comes in how it affects others. But if you aren’t one who has the name moral foundation, it still becomes a question of ethics…by definition, how your actions affect the greater good of mankind. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would guess that like everything else, some will be fine with it and some won’t.

1 Like

Yikes. That makes me cringe.

To my mind, you should have the money already in hand. If you come back from a trip and don’t already have the funds to pay for it, it shouldn’t have been charged to begin with!

I say this not because I feel it is wrong to use credit, but because I know from past experience that having credit card debt can make one feel as though you are bound and chained! When I started going on vacation with it fully financed ahead of time, my vacations becomes infinitely more enjoyable!

4 Likes

You asked for an answer and received it @profmatt. You also asked for our approval. Please don’t be offended if someone decides not to give it.

4 Likes