Mom and Son take on WDW, and Splash, Soar, Dash, and Fly Across the World (not to mention eat…)

Aww, another boy mom here, hoping this is me with my boys in a decade. It’s been a rough week around here where they’ve taken turns getting on my last nerve.

Loving the trip report. Sorry that your Coral Reef view wasn’t good but I’m happy that the food was enjoyable. Reports have been mixed lately. We have an ADR there next month too as I’m worried about it not being there next time we go back.

1 Like

Day 5 –October 25, 2019 – Epcot

Plan: Epcot 8:00 am to 7:00 pm focusing on World Showcase; ADRs at Garden Grill at 8:35 and Restaurant Marrakesh at 5:45; FPPs at Spaceship Earth at 9:00 and Frozen Ever After at 10:05.

Another bus to ourselves. I promise we don’t stink (at least not yet).

Actual: Today was the day of rain. We started the day by heading out to the buses early to catch a bus to EPCOT in time for our PPO ADR at Garden Grill. We got there and got in line for security. Just as security was opening a large group of people with matching white shirts got there and went to the front of a new line. It was completely rude. No one at the front part of our line seemed to be moving that way, so we did, and were through security relatively quickly. We headed to the park entrance and asked someone where to go for PPO, and stood in line there. We were in relatively quickly, and before the white shirt people, so that was good. We walked fast back to Garden Grill, and we were the second table seated. We enjoyed our breakfast (at table 17 again!), and saw Chip, Dale, Pluto, and Mickey in that order. We finished by about 8:35 (coincidentally, the time of our reservation), used the restroom, and headed down to Soarin’. We were the first two people in the queue. We soared around the world, with a few more people, and headed out. We then rode Living with the Land, and were on the first boat, after a bit of a wait to get the ride started. We walked around a bit, and then headed to Spaceship Earth to use our 9:05 FPP. We did a bit of shopping, and had everything sent to the resort for us. We learned that food couldn’t be sent to the resort, which I didn’t know, but good for future knowledge. We then headed to Frozen Ever After to ride with our 10:05 FPP. After FEA, we explored the Norway Pavilion shops, and purchased three drawings and had them sent to the resort. We stopped in the bakery, and got snacks, and as soon as we finished, it was pouring down rain. We found a small table to sit at and enjoy our treats. DS17 got a cheesecake apple, and I got rice cream. Yummy stuff. We talked about whether to head back to Mexico, before tackling the rest of WS, and decided we would go on another day. So we headed toward China. We first watched Reflections of China, and then explored the Pavilion. DS17 bought a rice hat, and wore it a lot during our trip. It rained quite a bit while we were in China too. I sat on a Bench watching the rain for a while.

!

20191025_113815|690x335

Next stop was Germany. We got a Bratwurst in a pretzel bun and Schirnken Nudel from a Food & Wine Booth, and did some shopping. As we were in the shop, it started pouring again. When it died down a little we were on our way. As we got to the train display, there was a CM taking the trains out. We were sad to have missed the trains, but the display area was still cool, and we explored that a bit while it was just sprinkling. In Italy, I purchased a Molto Bene Mickey shirt for DH, and had it sent to the resort. We also took a bunch of pictures. We watched the American Adventure in the American Adventure Pavilion, and it was pouring again when we got out. At this point, I suggested that I wear the backpack and that we put a poncho on me over the backpack. DS17 did not want a poncho. At least this way, our stuff would stay dry. It was hot(ter) under the poncho, though. In Japan, I got a pearl, and then purchased a setting for it. It was fun to watch that, and I’ve always wanted to do it. When I was done, we explored the pavilion, and took more pictures. We had reservations for dinner at Restaurant Marrakesh, so we headed all the way to Canada next, to work our way back to Morocco. We explored Canada, talked to a CM there about living in the northwest. We also got two small plates from the Canadian Food & Wine Booth – the cheddar cheese soup and the beef filet. At this point, it was (you guessed it) pouring again, so we took cover under a DVC booth and talked to the guy there a bit (just chatting) while we enjoyed our food. It was really good food.

DS17 found a chair to sit in in the United Kingdom Pavilion, while I shopped for a bit. I loved the gardens in Canada and UK. So pretty. In France, we had our picture taken by a photographer, and explored the shops. We did not see the film. Then we headed over to Morocco and explored a bit, and checked in around 4:45 for our 5:45 ADR. They seated us right away, and we ordered Beef Browat as an appetizer. DS17 ordered the Duck Meshoul and I ordered the Short Ribs. For dessert, we had the Beignets. DS17 was not excited about this meal (it was the one ADR that I made that I didn’t have full buy-in from him on), but enjoyed it a lot more than he thought he would. After dinner we headed out through the International Gateway to the Skyliner, and we were back in the room by 6:00.

Total Steps: 19,183

Highlights: Soarin’ (DS17 and me)

12 Likes

Day 6 –October 26, 2019 – Typhoon Lagoon, Disney Springs, Animal Kingdom After Hours

Plan: Typhoon Lagoon 10:00 am – 1:00 pm, Disney Springs 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm; Animal Kingdom 7:00 pm – 12:00 am; ADRs at Raglan Road at 5:00; FPPs at Kilimanjaro Safaris 6:30, Kali River Rapids 7:30, and Na’vi River Journey 8:30.

Actual: We caught a bus to Typhoon Lagoon at about 9:30. We were at the front of the line, and when they let us in, DS17 made it to the front of rope drop, and I went to find out about our umbrella reservation. I found out where our umbrella would be, and went up to join DS17, so that I could get his clothes and other stuff when the rope dropped. I also told him roughly where our umbrella would be. After I got to the umbrella (which took longer than expected because it was not marked, and no one knew which one it was), I settled in, and after a while, DS17 came by. I went to change in my suit when he was there, and then I got us a hot dog and a pretzel to share, and sodas for each of us. After a while, DS17 went back out to go on the slides. During the time he was gone, I went into the Typhoon Lagoon Surf Pool for a little while. When he came back the next time, we went to Castaway Creek together. We got off, and rode Miss Adventure Falls together, and then I waited for him while he rode Crush ‘n’ Gusher. We got back into the Castaway Creek, and when we got back to our umbrella, he went to get lunch for us. He got another hot dog, and I got a turkey leg. We also got sodas again. He went to ride some slides again, and then he came back and sat with me at the umbrella for a while. He wanted to go into the Surf Pool when it started doing the really big waves again, one last time. I went to shower and change during the time he was in, and we left after he was done. On the way out we saw a CM who was drawing with chalk on the ground. These kinds of details are what makes Disney so great, in my opinion. We had to wait for a bit for a bus, and by now it was about 3:00, so we weren’t going to have much time at Disney Springs, so we made plans to go later in the week. We got to Pop, changed clothes, and got ready to leave.

We got to Disney Springs about 4:30, and asked a worker there where Raglan Road was. We walked over, checked in for our reservation, and were seated quickly. I loved this place so much. The food was good, but the entertainment was nothing short of amazing. I ordered Shepherd’s Pie, and the Brussel Sprouts (but they were out of them, so I got garlic/parmesan chips) and DS17 ordered a burger and onion rings. After dinner we took a boat to Saratoga Springs Resort, and went to their bus stop to catch a bus to Animal Kingdom. We waited a little bit, and then we were on our way.

We entered Animal Kingdom just before 7:00, and headed straight for our Kilimanjaro Safari FPP. On the way, I met one of the people in my Memory Maker share! Sadly, there is no picture, because I was in a hurry to get on the best safari ride ever! We saw five giraffes together, a hippo out of the water, an elephant super close to the road, all three lions, and one got up and walked toward us, rhinos that had to be coaxed to get out of the road, and several other animals. AK After Hours was so much fun. We got in at 7, and rode the safari (FPP), Kali River Ride twice once with FPP, but we didn’t need it, and they let us just stay on the second time – DS17 is good at begging. The family on our raft said that they made them get off the last time, but they let us all ride again. Then we rode Dinosaur, and used our 8:30 Na’vi River Journey FPP. By now the park was closed, and they were checking bands to enter queues. The lines in Pandora were still relatively long from people entering before the park closed, so we headed to Asia. We rode Expedition Everest (me once, DS17 4 times), watched Rivers of Light, rode Expedition Everest again (me once, DS17 twice). We then headed to the other side of the park and rode Primeval Whirl (me once, DS17 twice), Triceratops Spin, Flight of Passage, and Na’vi River Journey again. We also had our fair share of treats and beverages. We left before the party was over, but we had done everything we wanted. We also ran into a couple that was on our Caring for Giants tour multiple times that night. That was fun.

Total Steps: 18,765

Highlights: Typhoon Lagoon (DS17); Raglan Road dancers (me)

16 Likes

I love WS, what a great day!

1 Like

Such a fun trip! I’m enjoying your report!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your trip! FaceTiming Grandma for her birthday gave me all the feels! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Betsy, your trip and my trip would make perfect examples of polar opposite approaches. Yours was the the impressive “do everything - never stop - and have a blast trip” and mine was the “mellow out and go with the flow - but miss some stuff” trip. I wish we had yours and Ben’s energy and my DGSs had been more flexible! You nailed it with your tenacious 10 miles for 10 days commitment.

I am truly incredibly fortunate to have a close relationship with both my adult sons, but the high school years were challenging for sure. I just loved seeing you and Ben having so much fun and his wonderful attitude, i.e., willingness to take those goofy adorable pics :slight_smile: . I know you will have a close relationship with adult Ben too!
(For other Liners, Betsy and I were in a MM share group that had an associated Facebook group but we have never met.)

4 Likes

Thanks Sandy! Yes, I was noticing that as I was reading your trip report. I think coming from the west coast makes me want to get more in, because I never know when I’m going to be able to get back… Both ways of touring are super fun, so there’s no wrong way of doing it. I’m so glad I prepared physically for our trip. It was still hard and tiring at some times, but I could do it.

2 Likes

Day 7 –October 27, 2019 – Grand Floridian, Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party

Plan: Sleep in; attend Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party; ADRs at Grand Floridian Café at 1:55; FPPs at Jungle Cruise at 3:25, Pirates of the Caribbean at 4:25, and Haunted Mansion at 5:30; Disney’s Not So Spooky Spectacular Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party at 9:15; Disney’s Not So Spooky Spectacular Fireworks Show at 10:15; Mickey’s Boo to You Halloween Parade at 11:15.

Actual: We slept in, and hung around Pop Century all morning. Around 12:30 we left to take a bus to the Magic Kingdom, to catch the monorail to the Grand Floridian for our lunch reservations at the Grand Floridian Cafe. We had a nice lunch. I ordered the Lobster Eggs Benedict and a salad, and DS17 ordered chicken and waffles with a side of eggs.

We took the monorail back to Magic Kingdom after going through security at the Grand Floridian. When we got to Magic Kingdom, it was pretty crowded getting into the party, but once they opened the gates for the party, we got in pretty quickly. We stopped to take some pictures of the decorations and to get our photos taken by a park photographer, and then we headed over to Jungle Cruise to use our first FPP. We had a good skipper who only put us in danger a couple of times. It was now time for our Pirates of the Caribbean FPP, so we headed there. Our next FPP was Haunted Mansion, but not for a little while, so we went to Hall of Presidents, which we had missed earlier in the week.

When we were finished at Hall of Presidents, it was now time for our FPP at Haunted Mansion. We had a good tour through the mansion, and then headed into Fantasyland. It was pretty crowded, and our highest priority was seeing Stitch dressed as Elvis, so we headed into Tomorrowland to figure out where that would be. We talked to a CM there, and they said that he would start meeting with people around 6:30, and no one else was there, so we decided to get in line. DS17 went to get us drinks - he got me a water and some fancy slushy for himself. Seeing Stitch was great. I told Stitch that he was DS17’s spirit animal. Stitch was happy about that.

!

After seeing Stitch, the party had started. We went to the Laugh Floor and got trick-or-treat bags there, and when we got out it had started raining. I decided to ride People Mover, so got in line. It must have gone down some, because this was a pretty long wait. I stuck it out, because I was shielded from the rain where I was. DS17 headed to Space Mountain, where he found a long line, so he went to Seven Dwarfs and rode just before they closed the ride due to the rain. He then rode Mad Tea Party before meeting up with me again. We decided to do a bit more trick-or-treating, and headed toward Fantasyland after finding all of the spots in Tomorrowland. We walked by Seven Dwarfs, and thought it might reopen soon, so we got in line, and were rewarded by getting to ride with a short wait.

More trick-or-treating, and then DS17 rode Space Mountain (he said it wasn’t a lot different from the first time we rode it, and wasn’t interested in going again), while I rode Buzz Lightyear. We met up again, and headed toward our dessert party. We enjoyed the party and watched Disney’s Not So Spooky Spectacular fireworks show from the terrace. We wanted to watch the 11:15 Boo to You Parade from Frontierland, so we could ride Big Thunder after the parade, so we headed there through Fantasyland, doing more trick-or-treating, and stopping in It’s a Small World. The two people in the boat behind us had never been on It’s a Small World (and this was not their first trip) ever in their lives. They were young adult men, and they both said they liked it. It was sweet. We watched the parade from the same spot we watched the Festival of Fantasy parade earlier in the week. We headed toward Big Thunder Mountain Railroad after the parade, and rode it as a walk on. We headed toward the entrance and caught up with the parade, and got stuck in a crowd exiting.

Total Steps: 19,538

Highlights: Seeing Stitch and Fireworks (DS17); Fireworks and Parade (me)

13 Likes

What a great report so far, I am enjoying following along.

1 Like

Day 8 –October 28, 2019 – Magic Kingdom

Plan: Sleep in a little, head to Magic Kingdom around noon; ADRs at 1900 Park Fare @ 11:45 (later changed to Liberty Tree Tavern @ 2:30); FPPs at Buzz Lightyear at 12:35, Seven Dwarf’s Mine Train at 2:00; Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at 4:15; Happily Ever After Garden Terrace Dessert Party at 7:30.

Actual: We spent most of the day at the resort after the late night on Sunday. We had moved our FPP to later in the day, and canceled our lunch reservation, and we decided not to go until it was time for our FPP. We had Big Thunder at 4:15, Splash Mountain at 5:25, and Buzz LIghtyear at 6:30. We left Pop at 4:00, after eating a late lunch at the Pop Century Food Court (I had a chicken and bacon burger, DS17 had pizza and a Caesar salad). We got through security quickly, with no bag, and got into the park. We made our way up Main Street slowly, shopping in the shops we hadn’t yet been in. We enjoyed watching the CMs making candied apples.

!

We headed toward Big Thunder, thinking we would ride and then go to Tom Sawyer Island, but on the way, we found out that the last raft was heading out to the Island. We decided to go on, and chance being late for our FPP, and found out that our FPP converted to an anytime FP, since the ride was down, as we were boarding the raft. It was meant to be! We explored the island, and rode back on the final raft with all of the CMs. It was a beautiful day, and we enjoyed that a lot (even though it was hot). We got in the FP line for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad as soon as we got back. When we finished our FPP were open for Splash Mountain. We rode Splash, and then shopped in the gift shop a little afterwards. I found a sweatshirt that I wanted, and found it in the right size in another gift shop.

Everything is satisfactual.

We headed over to Tomorrowland for our FPP at Buzz, and we had plenty of time, so we rode the People Mover first. Buzz Lightyear was fun and then we headed to our dessert party. We enjoyed the party, and were glad that the desserts were slightly different from the one the night before. We sat up above, because we were doing a Plaza Garden Viewing dessert party. When we had our fill of desserts, we headed out to the garden and found a spot to see the fireworks. We chatted with a family from Georgia while we were waiting for the show. I absolutely loved the show, and I cried like a baby during part of it. The woman to my left was crying too, and she gave me a tissue. Happily Ever After was one of my highlights of the trip.

After the fireworks, I stayed in the garden to wait for Once Upon a Time, while DS17 headed to ride Buzz Lightyear again. He met back up with me before the show started. We enjoyed the show and then headed out of the park.

Total Steps: 13,183

Highlights: Fireworks and dessert party (DS17); Happily Ever After (me)

11 Likes

I am pretty sure Stitch is my DS5’s spirit animal as well.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing - awesome! Aren’t 17 year olds great! Love mine! :heart:

2 Likes

I love Stitch so much, but he’s a challenging beast… Good luck!

1 Like

Welcome to chat! They are great (at least some of the time… lol)!

I’m hoping to post another installment tonight. Work and life have been busy the past few days…

1 Like

Day 9 –October 29, 2019 – EPCOT

Plan: Spend the day at EPCOT, doing everything we haven’t yet done, and repeating favorites. ADRs at Garden Grill at 8:05 and Teppan Edo at 4:00; FPP at Mission Space at 10:15, Test Track at 11:25, and The Seas at 1:05; Sushi Candy Making Class at 5:30.

Actual: We started the day at a Garden Grill pre-park opening breakfast. We had another great breakfast, and headed straight to Soarin’ afterwards. Then we headed to the Imagination Pavilion, and rode Figment. There are rumors that this ride is going to close soon, so I really wanted to ride it again. It’s a crazy ride, but very cute. I took a lot of pictures.

After Figment, we saw Wreck It Ralph and Vanellope. They were both adorable. We saw the Pixar Films next. They were so cute. The first one was an old Mickey Cartoon that they updated to 3D. The characters kept going inside and outside the cartoon. The second one was about a baby bird that needed to learn how to get food on her own. She was reluctant at first, but figured it out, and became a pro. The third was about a dog that got adopted by a man, and the man would feed him junk food, and then the man met a woman who ate healthy. All three were really cute.

We headed to the Seas Pavilion next, and watched Turtle Talk with Crush. We explored the pavilion a bit before the show, and then headed to the Skyliner afterwards. We were back in the room by 11:30. We spent the afternoon resting, napping, and writing postcards.

We had a 4:00 reservation for dinner at Teppan Edo, so we headed back to the Skyliner around 3:00. We saw Merida and Tiana as we were coming into the park. We enjoyed our meal at Teppan Edo and enjoyed the two other families at the table with us. We had our pictures taken in Japan.

We had a candy sushi making class scheduled for 5:30, so we headed there. We made two types of “sushi” and received recipe cards for three types. I was very proud of DS17 here too, because there was a boy sitting next to him who was struggling, and his mom couldn’t really help because she was holding a baby. DS17 helped him throughout the class, and wasn’t able to finish making all of his sushi. It was very fun, and when it was over, we headed back using the Skyliner. We were in our room by 6:39.

Total Steps: 16,610

Highlights: Teppan Edo (DS17); Sushi Candy Making Class (me)

9 Likes

Next up: Four Park Challenge day… Spoiler alert: We did it, and we had a blast!

5 Likes

Day 10 –October 30, 2019 – Four Park Challenge

Plan: Rope drop Hollywood Studios (6:00 am to 8:15 am); take the boat to EPCOT; rope drop EPCOT (9:00 am – 11:30 am); take the monorail to Magic Kingdom; be at Magic Kingdom from 12:30 pm – 4:00 pm; take a bus to Animal Kingdom; be at Animal Kingdom from 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm. We had ADRs at The Plaza Restaurant at 1:45 and FPP at MK – Meet Mickey at 11:50, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at 1:05, and Mad Tea Party at 2:30. I had t-shirts made for us for this day. I designed the shirt, and had them printed using a website (I can’t remember the name, but can look it up if anyone is interested). They were about $30 each, I think. They were printed on both sides – the front had fireworks in the middle, with Walt Disney World on top and Four Park Challenge and the date on the bottom. On the back, there was a jersey number and our names (mom for me).

We decided on our list of challenges, and ultimately decided on seven challenges in each park:
• Ride one headliner ride
• See a show
• Meet a character
• Eat something
• Trade a pin
• Take a photo with the park icon
• Get a magic shot photo taken

At some point we were trying to figure out how to ride the Skyliner too, so we could also use all four methods of free transportation, so we decided to head back to Hollywood Studios after AK, to see a show (because one wouldn’t be available when we were there anyway), and then take the Skyliner back to Pop.

7 Likes

Actual:

Hollywood Studios Order of Events:

1. Toy Story Mania
  2. Woody’s Lunch Box
  3. Slinky Dog Dash
  4. Met Woody & Bo Peep
  5. Traded for Tigger pin
  6. Met Buzz Lightyear
  7. Photo at Tower of Terror (icon)
  8. Magic Shot at Tower of Terror
  9. Rock 'n Roller Coaster
  10. Tower or Terror
  11. Rock 'n Roller Coaster (DS17)
  12. Took Friendship Boat to EPCOT

Details: We headed out of the room at 5:00, to make sure we were on the first bus to HS. We sat on a bench and let everyone line up, and then we got in line near the end, and when the bus got there, we stood in front of a door, so we could make a quick exit. We talked with a woman from Pennsylvania who was meeting up with other liners. She asked about our shirts, and we got to talking. We got to the park, well before it opened, got through security, and eventually we were let in.

At rope drop it was announced that Slinky Dog Dash was down. We were talking to someone at Rope Drop who was thinking of going to SDD, but instead decided to go to MF. He was funny, and also noticed our shirts. We decided to head to Toy Story Land anyway, because we were optimistic it would come back up, and being in Toy Story Land was critical for the rest of our plans (they had the earliest character meets, as far as we could tell). We rope dropped Toy Story Mania, and we were pretty close to the front, but I’m not exactly sure how close. I finally beat DS17 at a game. It was the only time the whole trip. Yay mom! We then waited for Woody’s Lunchbox to open, and we shared a turkey breakfast sandwich and a Nutella toaster pastry. During breakfast, we saw a few test dogs go on SDD, so we headed over there and just hung out for a while. We knew that we had until 7:00 until Woody and Bo and Buzz came out. Our strategy paid off, because when they announced it was open, we were the first and second people in line.

After SDD, we headed to where Woody and Bo Peep meet, and waited there, until they came out at 7:00. We were the first in line. Bo Peep, was the first CM to notice our shirts. She was really cute pretending to read it, and Woody gave us advice to drink lots of water. We started to head out of TSL, and we noticed a cast member with a lanyard of pins. We asked if we could trade with her, and we got a baby Tigger pin. We got to where Buzz was meeting, and the line was short, so DS17 wanted to get in line. Buzz was funny, and made a fuss about our Four Park Challenge too. He acted really tired.

We needed icon and magic shot photos, so we headed to Tower of Terror. On the way we stopped to purchase a lanyard for the pins, because DS17 was adamant (and then he didn’t want to wear it – LOL). We got photos and magic shots taken by a great photographer (he was so nice and funny) in front of Tower of Terror, and then we rode Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, and saw our RD friend there, and then headed to ToT, where we had an elevator all to ourselves (no picture came through on Photo Pass, though, so that was a bummer).

DS17 wanted to ride RnR one more time, so I told him to ride, and I would meet him at the front of the park. As I was walking out, I saw our bus (and liner) friend, and she asked me to friend her on FB, so she could track our progress. I’m so glad she asked, because I’ve enjoyed her FB posts too. It was already getting hot. I filled our water bottles, wet our cooling towel, and sat on a bench at the front of the park, and we exited HS around 8:00. We were 15 minutes ahead of schedule. We headed to the friendship boat, and just missed one, but we just waited, because transportation was part of the challenge now.

12 Likes