Mom and Son take on WDW, and Splash, Soar, Dash, and Fly Across the World (not to mention eat…)

Traveling Party

  • Me (over 50; two prior trips to WDW; many trips to Disneyland, including last October solo)

  • DS17 (one trip to WDW when he was in fourth grade, but he helped with a lot of the planning that time, as part of the educational plan I wrote for him to get him out of school for 8 days; two trips to Disneyland when he was 4).


I was working from home one day, and I said to my husband that I really wanted to go to Disney World. He said that I should. He has no interest, but I thought my DS17 would want to go. I looked at my vacation balance, my calendar at work, checked with my son’s baseball coach, and decided that late October would work best. My son plays baseball year round and September and October tend to be the best times to do something not baseball related. He is also in a GED program, so not tied to a regular school calendar. I booked at Caribbean Beach Resort later that day for October 22 to November 1. I purchased the Unofficial Guide that afternoon, after work. I joined Touring Plans, and looked at the Crowd Calendar, and looked into flights, because I wanted to use air miles. I decided it was all doable. I was thinking of keeping it a secret for a little while, but he saw me reading the book, and asked me a direct question. The secret was out.

I booked my flights soon after, using miles. I booked an overnight flight, because we come from Seattle, and there are two Alaska direct flights – one that leaves early in the morning and gets in around 4:00 pm, and one that leaves at 9:30 pm and gets in at 6:00 am. The last time we went, we were tired from flying, but we couldn’t go to sleep on our first night because of the 3-hour time change, and so I thought what better way to get on Florida time than to fly overnight, wear ourselves out in the parks, and get to bed early. So I booked it. Later that flight was canceled, but they had the same flight the night before, so I adjusted my dates, to October 21 to October 31.

Eventually I moved our resort to Pop Century to save a bit of money (to use on ADRs, of course). At a later date, I decided it was a stupid idea to leave on Halloween, so I added a night at All Star Sports, because I couldn’t get a room at Pop Century. Being persistent paid off, and ultimately, I was able to get a room at Pop for that night, and even later, I was able to add a night to my existing reservation. Yay! At this point, I made the official change to my flights, and we were all set.

Next, I looked at crowd calendars and roughly planned what parks which days. Then I started looking into Table Service so that I could be ready for my ADR day. We decided we wanted to focus on places we had not been before. The only repeat would be Yak & Yeti, because it was our favorite from our previous trip. And Mango Pie. Need I say more? There were too many I wanted to try. I narrowed it down to a decent list, over booked a little, and further narrowed as it got closer. I also eventually decided to add Coral Reef, a restaurant we had been to before, for sentimental reasons. I had been there both prior trips, my son treated me to lunch there on our prior trip on Mother’s Day, and the rumors of it possibly closing.

ADR day went well, and at that time, I purchased a pedometer, and set a goal to walk 10,000 steps 10 days in a row 10 times before the trip. That was a great way to set the goal for me, because there were a number of times that I might not have gotten to 10,000 steps if it wasn’t day 6 or 7. Having to start all over at day 1 was brutal, and I would do almost anything to avoid it. Spoiler alert: I reached the goal with 20 days to spare, despite having pneumonia in May. I was so glad I had done this training, because I was able to keep up with my son.

When they announced that Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge was opening before our trip, I considered cancelling for a while. I picked our dates to avoid huge crowds, and we are not big Star Wars fans. I decided to let it ride, and see how things were panning out, because I had enough time after it opened to still cancel before my 30-day payment date. Crowd level predictions for HS kept dropping, and the extra magic hours were a huge plus for me. I knew we could get up and take advantage of those, so I eventually decided to not cancel.

After ADR day, I mostly just followed the Lines Chat, the Forum, read trip reports, and read the Unofficial Guide to keep planning. At one point, I decided to do a Four Park Challenge. My son was totally on board with that, and I designed and printed t-shirts for us to wear that day. And before I knew it, it was FPP day. I was so glad to find the video demo of it on TP, and I also looked at the the DIBB Latest FastPass Plus Availability Report, to help me decide what to try for. FPP day went really well too. The only thing I didn’t get that I wanted (and I knew it was a long shot) was Seven Dwarfs Mine Train on day 1. I will include what I booked for each day in the “Plans” section of each day below, rather than provide that information here. I also planned more extras than I probably should have, but we did make good use of them all except a tour (which we ended up canceling during our trip).

About a week before our trip, I made a grocery order through Instacart. I ordered protein shakes, yogurt, cheese sticks, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, bananas, cheese its, bread, peanut butter, jam, and two 24 packs of water. I scheduled delivery for 1:00 -5:00, and the estimated time was 4:00. There was a $20 coupon, which I used, and the delivery was free. It was totally worth it, I found. I clearly over purchased, but we consumed all of the water, most of the protein shakes, most of the fruit, the cheese its, and some of the yogurt and cheese sticks. I brought powdered Diet Snapple packets, and filled the water bottles with those, so I would have caffeine in the morning that I could drink on the bus. We would also drink a protein shake early, and it would hold us until a later time in the day. DS17 also ate some of the cheese sticks and cheese its as late night snacks when he would get hungry.


Day 0 October 20, 2019 – Travel

I worked at my second job from 5:00 am to 1:30 pm. When I got home, I took a shower and then tried to nap (mostly unsuccessfully – I was too excited). I did get a little rest. I got up and finished last minute packing and we were on our way to the airport by 6:30. My husband drove us, and dropped us off. DS17 and I dropped off our checked bags which I had already paid for online with their wonderful yellow tags, made it through security relatively quickly, and then grabbed some dinner before our flight. We were in the North Terminal at SeaTac Airport, and we sat down at Skillet. DS17 ordered the Mac n Cheese with chicken, and I ordered a breakfast burrito. We finished eating and paid by 8:30. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 9:35 pm, but the arriving flight was late, so we were nearly 30 minutes late before take-off. I slept a little, DS17 slept less than that, but we were happy to be in Orlando when we arrived.


I’m loving this report and all the details!!!

1 Like

Day 1 – October 21, 2019 – Magic Kingdom

Plan: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm at Magic Kingdom, focusing on Adventureland, Frontierland, and Liberty Square; ADRs at Crystal Palace 10:20 and Skipper Canteen 5:00; FPP at Haunted Mansion 11:10, Big Thunder 2:15, Splash Mountain 3:15; Festival of Fantasy Parade at 2:15.

Actual: We flew to Orlando overnight, arriving at the airport around 6:00 am. We caught the Disney Magical Express, and ended up getting a bus to ourselves. We got to Pop Century, checked in, changed clothes, left our bags with Bell Services, and headed to Magic Kingdom. There was a bus waiting for us when we walked out. We stood on the bus with a couple from Alabama who we would see multiple times. We got to the park about 8:00 am (it had been open since 7:00 am).

Our plan for today was to spend the day in Adventureland, Frontierland, and Liberty Square. First we stopped at the Fire Station to pick up our Sorcerer’s of the Magic Kingdom cards. We really enjoyed this game on our last trip, but we decided it doesn’t work well any more, and probably needs to be updated, so we didn’t play much. We decided to try to ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train first, which ended up being about a 10-minute wait. We both needed caffeine, so we got a coke and a diet coke from a nearby vendor, and headed toward Liberty Square, but we decided to ride It’s a Small World on the way. It was a walk on. Next was Haunted Mansion, also a walk on. It was now about 9:00 am, so we decided to start using our touring plan, which started at 9:00. We rode Jungle Cruise, then Pirates of the Caribbean. We then played some Sorcerer’s of the Magic Kingdom, not very successfully.

We had a reservation for breakfast at Crystal Palace for 10:20, so we then headed there, after browsing in a few shops. DS17 purchased some sun glasses, and I purchased some postcards. During breakfast, we saw Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet, and Tigger. When we saw Tigger, he stood on his tip toes to be as tall as DS17, and I teased him about it. It was really cute. I also modified our Haunted Mansion Fast Pass Plus (FPP) to Mad Tea Party for after our breakfast. After breakfast, we headed toward Mad Tea Party, and saw Mary Poppins on the way. She was practically perfect in every way, and when I asked her if she had her measuring tape, she said she didn’t, but she suspected that DS17 was “extremely stubborn and suspicious”, just like Michael Banks.

After Mad Tea Party, we saw the Country Bears Jamboree and the Enchanted Tiki Room, and then we staked out a spot to watch the parade. After the parade, we went to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and rode that with our FPP. It was raining during our ride, and it felt glorious. We loved a bit of cool down, and the light rain felt good. We were early for our Splash Mountain FPP, but the standby wait was short due to the rain, so we jumped in line and rode after about a 15-minute wait.

After Splash, we rode the Mark Twain River Boat and then used our FPP for Splash Mountain. We had done everything on our plan, except the Hall of Presidents, but we weren’t in the mood for a show, so we headed toward our dinner reservation at Jungle Navigation Company, Skipper Canteen, to see if we could check in early. We got into our reservation about an hour early. We shared the cheese bread for an appetizer, DS17 had the Seafood Stew and a lemonade, and I had the Grilled Lamb Chops. We decided against dessert. It was a yummy meal. We left the restaurant as it was starting to get busy.

We started to head out of the park, and it started to rain. We decided to go for it anyway, and it started to rain harder. We ended up getting soaked in a downpour on our way to the bus, rode back to Pop Century on a bus that arrived shortly, and headed to our room. I had received a text with our room number, and our Magic Bands opened our door, just fine. Our luggage hadn’t been delivered yet, though, so I called down to Bell Services to see if we could get it soon, since we were soaking wet. It arrived within about 45 minutes. DS17 was in the shower most of this time, warming up, and I waited. We unpacked, I took a shower, and we went to bed early so we could get up tomorrow and do it all again at Hollywood Studios.

Total Steps: 20,154

Highlights: the rollercoasters (DS17), Splash Mountain and Skipper Canteen (me)


Thank you. I’ll keep adding days, as I’m able to… I have drafts for everyday, but I want to fine tune as much as possible before posting…


Day 2 – October 22, 2019 – Hollywood Studios

Plan: Hollywood Studios from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm, doing everything we could; ADRs at Oga’s Cantina at 10:35 and Hollywood & Vine (Fantasmic! package) at 4:05; FPPs at Star Tours 10:45, Rock n’ Roller Coaster 1:05, and Frozen Sing Along 5:00; Fantasmic! at 8:00pm and Star Wars Fireworks if we were up to it.

Actual: We woke up at 4:40, with the goal to be out of the room by 5:00, so we could catch the first bus going to Hollywood Studios. We got to Hollywood Studios around 5:30 for Rope Drop. There were quite a few people in front of us (maybe 10 rows of people, the width of the street). The cast member near the front was very good about keeping people in between the lines this particular morning, so that people couldn’t move up. We wanted to go to Toy Story Land first, because we had never been before, and were more interested in this than Galaxy’s Edge, so we stayed to the right, and were just behind the cast members when we turned the corner. We stayed at the front, and only one person was in front of us when we entered the queue for Slinky Dog Dash. We were the 2nd and 3rd person on the ride! After we were done, we entered the queue again at 6:09 am. After SDD, we headed over to Toy Story Mania, where DS17 scored 129,500 and I scored 96,000, then Alien Swirling Saucers. We then rode Toy Story Mania again (137,800 for DS17; 109,000 for me), and Slinky Dog Dash with about a 20-minute wait (by this time it was daylight, so we got to ride during the dark and the day, which was great).

After we were done in Toy Story Land, we headed over to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, through the passageway from Toy Story Land. We looked around some, and then got in line for Millennial Falcon.

We were in line at 7:40 and exiting the ride at 8:10, despite a posted 50-minute wait time, and I submitted my first Touring Plan time on the Lines app. DS17 and I were both the pilots (me right/left, him up/down), and the CM who let us in miscounted, so we had a vehicle to ourselves with one gunner from the single rider line. We captured one container, which the CM said was good, since we were down one gunner and two engineers. He was probably lying, but I felt good about it… I was a terrible driver, and I apologized to the gunner. We had fun though. We looked around in the land and had breakfast at Ronto Roasters (we each had the Ronto Wrap (mine without sauce, which took a bit more time)). After breakfast, we got caffeine (the funny looking coke and diet coke), walked around some more and purchased Spira
to pay for our drinks at Oga’s Cantina later. We were about 45 minutes ahead of schedule, so I took a break and DS17 went shopping. He bought some earrings for his girlfriend, and I sat on a bench outside of MuppetVision 3D, hydrating, applying sunscreen, and relaxing, waiting for the first show at 10:00. When the doors opened, we went into MuppetVision, and found a seat near the exit, because we had a 10:35 ADR at Oga’s Cantina, and needed to get out of there quickly.

It was a fun show, and we made it to our reservations in plenty of time. There were about 3 parties ahead of us to check in, but the process went quickly, and we were in quickly. Our host “read” us the rules on the sign as we walked in

(basically, we had to be done in 45 minutes). We were seated at the bar, which was great. We talked to the bartender a bit, and learned that he was born and raised on Oga’s planet, and that he was a gambler and in debt to Oga, so that’s why he worked at the bar. For our first round of drinks we ordered the Carbon Freeze and Oga’s Obsession (which wasn’t really a drink – it was more like Jello in a Petri dish) and for our second round we ordered Hyperdrive and Jabba Juice. We shared all four and paid with our Batuuan Spira. While we were there, there was a big cheer for a newly married couple. The whole atmosphere was fun, and we really enjoyed our time there. We left Oga’s and headed to Star Tours to complete the tour for our 10:45 FPP. We took a bit of a detour, because my son thought Star Tours was near the Launch Bay, and I thought that was wrong, but he said he’d seen it when he was shopping.

We then headed to the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! show at noon. It was fun, but I liked it much better when we were there when DS17 was in 4th grade. Voyage of the Little Mermaid was next, and we were going to visit Walt Disney Presents, but we stopped at an ice cream cart on the way, and DS17 got a frozen lemonade, and I got a Mickey’s ice cream sandwich, and we didn’t have time to finish those and visit and make our 1:05-2:05 Rock ‘n Roller Coaster FPP window. We spent some time shopping in the shops at the front of the park, because we missed the 2:00 Beauty and the Beast show, which we had planned on doing. We thought about going on Tower of Terror instead, but after thinking a minute, I figured I could pick up a FPP for later (just before Fantasmic!), if I modified our Frozen FPP to something earlier, and if we could check into our dinner earlier, we could attend the 5:00 Beauty and the Beast too, so we did that. At just before 3:00 we headed to Hollywood & Vine to see if we could check in early for our 4:05 reservations, and they were seating the last of the lunch reservations, and said they could get us in during the first dinner reservations at 3:20, but not earlier. That worked for us, since we just wanted to be done early enough to make it to Beauty and the Beast before 5:00, so we just sat on a bench and waited. It was nice having some down time.

We had the Fantasmic! Package at Hollywood & Vine, and chose that to see the characters in their Halloween costumes. We really enjoyed this meal, both the food and the character interactions. Maybe because our expectations were lower based on the feedback from the forums, but we still thought it was good. We made it in plenty of time to see the 5:00 Beauty and the Beast show, and then we started walking toward the Hyperion Theater. DS17 suggested we go on Rock n’ Roller Coaster again, and I told him to go by himself and use the Single Rider line. We agreed to meet in front of the Chinese Theater when he was done. I found a spot to sit on a bench and ended up taking pictures for a bunch of people as they walked by. Some cast members also came out with hula hoops at one point and guests played with them. It was fun to watch. DS17 met back up with me in plenty of time for us to catch the 6:30 Frozen Sing Along show. At dinner I had been able to make a FPP for Tower of Terror for about 7:15, after modifying Frozen to the 3:00 show. We watched Frozen (I sang along, DS17 did not), and then headed to Tower of Terror to ride with a FPP. DS17 had chickened out on Tower of Terror when we were here when he was in 4th grade, so he was determined, but nervous. Then we walked into the Fantasmic! Theater, and sat near the top of the center sections. DS17 went to get us something cool to drink while we waited. We had great seats, and enjoyed the pre-show activities and the show.

After Fantasmic!, we rushed out of the theater to beat the crowd, and headed toward the exit. We decided to try the Skyliner to get back to Pop Century, and were back in our rooms by 9:00. We showered and got ready for bed. We decided to skip rope drop at Animal Kingdom the next day.

Total Steps: 25,625

Highlights: Slinky Dog Dash and not Frozen (DS17); Slinky Dog Dash, Oga’s Cantina, and Frozen (me)


Loving this report. Thanks so much for writing it and sharing with us!


Day 3 – October 23, 2019 – Animal Kingdom

Plan: Animal Kingdom from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm doing everything we could; ADRs at Yak & Yeti at 6:30; FPPs at Kilimanjaro Safaris 10:35, Finding Nemo 12:30 (for 1:00 show), and Avatar Flight of Passage at 4:35; Caring for Giants Tour at 3:30; Rivers of Light if we felt up to it.

Actual: We slept in a bit this morning, but got to the park in time for our 10:35 FPP for Kilimanjaro Safaris. Our tour had a lot of active animals, in particular, the hyenas, elephants, the cheetah, and an ostrich. After the safari, we walked through the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail. The gorillas were very active, and we saw one pound its chest and then run after another, and then another one got involved in the wrestling match. It was fun. We saw a bunch of other animals too.

We then headed to the Festival of the Lion King noon showing. We both enjoyed the show. At this point we split up, and I saw the Finding Nemo show at 1:00 using our FPP, got a frozen banana and enjoyed that while listening to a street show, walked around on Discovery Island trails for a bit and saw the otters and the tree of life, and then I got my hair wrapped. I enjoyed my solitude. DS17 rode Expedition Everest, and maybe learned a little lesson that I knew what I was doing, and didn’t complain another time about a show during the whole trip. P.S. I got him on EE about 9 more times during the trip with a combined wait less than what he did then.

We met back up at the Kilimanjaro Safaris area at 3:00, and before DS17 arrived, I had purchased watermelon from a cart for us to share as well as a diet coke for me. I had a surprise for him – we were doing the Caring for Giants backstage tour. Our tour guide, Shannon, drove us (there were 6 other people on our tour) backstage on a bus to where the elephants live. We saw three females pretty close up. Bella was a 3-year-old who was adorable. We got to see her go to her mom, Donna, and ask to nurse, and her mom allowed her. The other one in the group was Luna. It was fun to be so close and to see some of their personality. There was also someone from Africa who talked with us. His name was Bright. He told us about poaching and how it affected the whole ecosystem in Africa, and he also told us about how the elephants would wander into their village to take food from their agricultural trees, and how it could devastate their economy, until they figured out the one thing that elephants don’t like – bees. So they started hives, which saved their produce and also produced honey which they could also sell.

After the tour, we headed to Expedition Everest to ride that. The wait was short, and we enjoyed the ride a lot. It was now time for our Flight of Passage FPP, so we headed that way. It took us a little time to get our bearings, but we found it. This was our first time on Flight of Passage, and we didn’t know what to expect. I was a bit nervous, but we both absolutely loved the ride. I smiled and laughed the whole ride. We both decided that it was like Soarin’, but on steroids. Soarin’ is one of my top three rides of all time.

At this point we were hungry and tired, and a bit early for our 6:30 reservations at Yak & Yeti, but we went there anyway hoping to check in early. I realized that I had forgotten my Landry card, but I was able to pull up an email to prove membership, and they brought us right in. We elected to share a Dim Sum Basket, House Fried Rice, and the BBQ Plum Duck. I saw a kid’s meal go by at one point with French Fries that looked delicious, so I also asked for a side of fries. DS17 had a lemonade, and I drank water. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal, and our server was wonderful. He ended up having to leave unexpectedly due to a family emergency, so when it came time for dessert, someone else had taken over. I asked her who would get the tip, and she said she would. All she did was bring me my mango pie (which by the way is the best single thing sold at WDW, in my humble opinion), and fail to fill my water, so I asked another server if I could speak to a manager about that. I told her that I didn’t think it was fair for her to receive the whole tip, and asked if there was a way to get part of the tip to our previous server. She said that she could put a cash tip in an envelope for him, if we wanted, so we did that. I explained it to the server who took over, and tipped her for the pie portion of the meal, and she understood.

After our meal, we headed out of the park, browsing a bit, and I purchased some more postcards. When we got back to Pop Century, we spent some time browsing in the gift shop there, and I ended up purchasing some hand lotion (I ran out) and a hair brush (I brought one, but it disappeared after DS17 used it on our first night). We got back to the room, I showered, while DS17 went to the pool to relax. When he came back, he showered and we went to bed. We were planning to get up early and rope drop Magic Kingdom the next day.

Total Steps: 20,169

Highlights: Flight of Passage, Expedition Everest, and Caring for Giants (DS17 and me)


Day 4 – October 24, 2019 – Magic Kingdom and Epcot

Plan: Magic Kingdom 7:00 am to 1:00 pm focusing on Fantasyland and Tomorrowland; ADRs at Be Our Guest at 10:10; FPPs at Meet Ariel at 8:00, Peter Pan’s Flight at 9:05, and Seven Dwarf’s Mine Train at 12:10. Epcot from 4:45 – 9:00 pm focusing on the Seas Pavilion and fireworks; ADRs Coral Reef at 6:25; Epcot Frozen Ever After Dessert Party at 8:00.

Actual: We started the day by rope dropping Magic Kingdom. The plan was to leave around noon, rest at the hotel, and then go to Epcot for dinner and Epcot Forever. We were close to the front, and because we walk fast, we were at the cast member line by the time we got back into Fantasyland. Our intent (along with nearly everyone else) was to rope drop Seven Dwarf’s Mine Train. We were the 7th and 8th people in the queue, so we made it on the first set of trains. We felt like very accomplished rope droppers after our success on Tuesday at HS too. Next we headed to Mad Tea Party, where we each chose our own teacup. DS17 likes to spin; I don’t, so it was great. I love Mad Tea Party, as long as no one is spinning my teacup. I love the colors, the music, the décor. I just find it very endearing. Next we walked over to Tomorrowland and walked on Space Mountain. Space Mountain is not my favorite. I really enjoyed the ghost overlay version at Disneyland last year, but I think the ride at WDW is very rough. I may never ride it again. DS17 liked it fine, but it certainly wasn’t his favorite. DS17 rode Astro Orbiter for nostalgia while I used the restroom. Another walk on. We then rode Buzz Lightyear also a walk on. At this point is was just a little after 8:00, and we had gotten in all of the longer wait rides. We headed to Carousel of Progress, and rode/saw that. We enjoyed it and then hopped on the People Mover. I love this, and find it incredibly relaxing. At this point, the Laugh Floor was not yet open, so we had finished Tomorrowland for now, so we headed back into Fantasyland. We walked on Barnstormer, then used our 8:00 – 9:00 FPP for Meeting Ariel (which we didn’t need), walked onto Under the Sea – Journey of the Little Mermaid, rode Prince Charming’s Carousel, and then walked into Mickey’s PhilharMagic.

Our FPP window opened up for Peter Pan’s Flight, so we did that next and then headed to our 10:10 ADR for Be Our Guest. I found the entry way to Be Our Guest very disorganized. We had ordered ahead, but the line for that was relatively long, not clearly marked at all (so people who hadn’t ordered ahead had gotten into that line both in front of us and behind us). We finally got through that, and found a place to eat in the Rose Room, and DS17 went to get our drinks and silverware, while I waited for a server. It took a good long while to get our food. The food was fine, but nothing to write home about. To me, this is a one and done. We even had dinner reservations here for later in the week that we canceled without much objection from either of us. I was very disappointed. DS17 ordered the breakfast sandwich and I ordered the Croque Madame. After breakfast, we rode The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, with a short wait (maybe 8 minutes). It was earlier in our plan, but was down when we got there, so we moved on. I also love this ride, because I love the Pooh characters. My dad used to read me Winnie the Pooh for as long as I would practice tying my shoes. I would practice for a long time.

It was my mom’s birthday today, and she has always loved It’s a Small World, so I had suggested to DS17 that we call my mom at the end of the ride and sing “happy birthday” to her. DS17 thought about it, and then suggested face timing her so she could ride with us and then singing happy birthday after we got out of the ride. So, while we were in line, at Winnie the Pooh, I called my dad and asked him to have my mom get her cell phone and be ready for a call from DS17. It’s a Small World was a walk on, and as we entered the queue, DS17 called her from his phone, and said guess where we are. It took a few guesses, but she finally figured it out, and figured out how to face time him, by the time we got in the boat. The woman in front of us on the boat told her husband to face time his mom because she couldn’t join their trip this time, and thanked us for the idea. I was so proud of DS17 on this ride, because I could hear him over and over saying “do you see such and such grandma?” My mom thoroughly enjoyed her “ride” on It’s a Small World, and I could see my dad standing behind her as well. She absolutely loved her birthday present, and when we were out of the ride, we sang happy birthday to her too. We had finished everything we wanted to in Magic Kingdom this morning, so we canceled our FPP for SDMT and found one for Test Track for after dinner, and headed out of the park at about 11:40, stopping at the fire station to pick up Sorcerer’s of the Magic Kingdom cards. We caught a bus right away, and we were in our room by 12:20.

I took a nap, and DS17 went to the pool and took a nap, and we headed back to Epcot at about 5:00 using the Skyliner. We got into the park and rode The Seas with Nemo and Friends and then looked around the Seas Main Tank and Exhibits for a short time. It was a little early for our ADRs at Coral Reef Restaurant, but we checked in, and were seated pretty quickly. We had a table in the middle of an aisle, it felt like, not next to the tank and not higher up, so our view was not great. In addition, they had scuba divers in the tank, who kept coming over to see us, and I think they were scaring the fish away. We didn’t see a lot, and the big turtle never got close enough for a good picture, so I was a little bummed about this. We chose to go here this trip, even though we’d been before, because of the rumors that it might be closing. DS17 had taken me to this restaurant for Mother’s Day on our previous trip. DS17 ordered the Caesar Salad and Lemonade, and I got Creamy Lobster Bisque Soup, and then we shared the Sirloin Steak with a slide of Lobster Macaroni and Cheese. It was all tasty.

Next, we headed to Test Track to use the FPP I had picked up earlier. We had never been on the ride before because it was closed for refurbishment the last time we were here, and we both enjoyed it. We next headed toward the World Showcase to check in for our Frozen Ever After Dessert Party. We were seated at table 17 right near the water, with a mom and adult daughter. I enjoyed being seated with another party, even though at first I was not sure about that, because it made the conversation go nicely. DS17 was engaged with them, and not on his phone, which was great. We also thoroughly enjoyed the food and the show (we loved the kites). After the fireworks, we walked over to Frozen Ever After and rode that. We had been on Maelstrom, but not this version. We enjoyed it. After the ride, we turned left and walked through an empty World Showcase toward the International Gateway, to take the Skyliner back to Pop. We were seated in the Skyliner and a family of four from Durham NC joined us. They had two kids, maybe 8 and 10, and they were fun to talk to. The girl loved the princesses, and was telling us all about the princesses she had seen, and the boy was a baseball player and enjoyed talking to DS17 about that. When we got to the transfer center we were a party of 6.

Total Steps: 24,688

Highlights: Buzz Lightyear, Epcot Forever and Dessert Party (DS17) Being 7th and 8th people on Seven Dwarf’s Mine Train and Epcot Forever and Dessert Party (me)


That’s all for tonight folks… I’ll try to post another day or two tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

1 Like

Thanks for writing!

1 Like

I am enjoying your report! We live in Spokane and struggle with the time change when we go to WDW. I never can go to sleep those first few nights, I am a night owl at home and no matter how tired I am I can’t seem to go to sleep until really late. You two seem to have acclimated very easily.

1 Like

Loving this Betsy! I’ve been traveling for work and haven’t been able to finish mine yet.

1 Like

I will probably do an overnight flight from now on. It was brutal, but we quickly adjusted to east coast time. We were so exhausted that first day, we were in bed around 8:00 and asleep before 8:30.

1 Like

I am really enjoying your report!! The Splash pic of you guys is frame worthy!! Thank you for sharing. Can’t wait to hear the rest!!


Great report! I was also at MK on the 24th. The crowds were so low. It was so great to be able to do so much without all the long lines.


loving this trip report! I am a mom of two boys… I am hoping one or both of my boys are still willing to go with just me to WDW when they are 17!! looking forward to seeing how the rest of your trip went!!


DS17 and I have had a tough relationship of late. I’m the disciplinarian in our home, and he likes to push the limits. This was such a great way for us to have some fun together and not have to be angry with each other. I loved how open he was to most of the things we did. He happily met the characters (even Ariel), and was a great sport. He had a lot of fun too, and was very appreciative of the trip.


I understand!!! my boys push their (well MY) limits also! and they are only 11 and 7!!! I know y’all probably needed this wonderful trip! wishing you and your son all the best and that this stage of his growing up will not last too much longer!!


My son is almost 17 and reading your report makes me smile so wide! So wonderful to have that special time with him!