Mickey's-Not-So-Scry-Halloween-Party in hurricane season

My mother and I are planning on going to the MNSSHP on 9/2/19 (Monday). We have a hotel reservation 9/1 - 9/6 with 3 theme park days 9/3 - 9/5. this is an impromptu trip. we are going because a) our family has an extra 3-day hopper that needs to be used prior to Dec 31,2019 and b) I was going to be traveling to Orlando anyway that week for opening weekend at HHN over at UOR.

Because it is a short trip, the Halloween party is bonus park time at a cheaper price than adding one extra day on the theme park ticket. I expect heat, humidity and rainstorms during the party. It is what it is. However, I am concerned about hurricane season and the non-refundable nature of the party ticket.

Should I wait until we are in FL to purchase the tickets? Any experience with Disney offering refunds if your travel plans were derailed due to a named storm?

They definitely address it. They don’t leave guests stuck. If I remember correctly, With the last hurricane that caused park closure they offered guests with MNSSHP tickets either a refund or the option to choose any party (MNSSHP or MVMCP) ticket in the next full year.

5 Likes

this happened to my family during hurricane matthew in 2016. though it was a scary experience to be ushered out of the parks and remain in their rooms for an extended period of time, they were able to use their tickets for another mnsshp party a few days later. of course, they were lucky (if you want to call it that) because they still had a few days remaining in their trip once the hurricane passed to do so. maybe a call or email to disney for confirmation of their hurricane policy would put your mind at ease.

1 Like

I am sure they will refund, I purchased mine early for last year but had to cancel for family illness and they actually refunded my tix which PLEASANTLY surprised me

1 Like

We were there in 16 when the hurricane closed parks. We had a party ticket and the party was cancelled. We didn’t have any days left on our trip to change dates. Disney gave us a refund. We also got a complimentary two day park hopper since we lost a park day. They were very accommodating.

1 Like

I checked the WDW’s hurricane policy and while it does allow for cancellations and changes without penalty if a hurricane warning is issued within 7 days of your travel dates, special events may not be covered under the policy.

If a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area—or for your place of residence—within 7 days of your scheduled arrival date, you may call in advance to reschedule or cancel your Walt Disney Travel Company Disney Resort Hotel Package and most room only reservations (booked directly with Disney) without any cancellation or change fees imposed by Disney.

Next paragraph: The policy does not apply to certain special events or dining experiences.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/hurricane-policy/warning-issued/

The small print on the page for Mickey’s-Not-So-Scary-Halloween Party says:

Tickets are nontransferable and nonrefundable and may not be resold. The number of tickets available is limited and tickets are valid only for the specific event date and hours. Entertainment may be cancelled due to inclement weather or otherwise. No refunds even if entertainment is cancelled. All attractions, experiences, entertainment and event elements are subject to restrictions, change or cancellation without notice.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events/mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party/purchase/

I suspect this is intended to cover Disney from needing to issue refunds if a thunderstorm rolls in during the party and shuts down rides, parades and outside activities. They could still use it to decline refunds for parties cancelled due to hurricanes.