Michelin ratings in WDW

What Bib restaurants do have in common is their simpler style of cooking, which is recognisable, easy-to-eat and often something you feel you could attempt to replicate at home. A Bib restaurant will also leave you with a sense of satisfaction, at having eaten so well at such a reasonable price.

What Is The MICHELIN Bib Gourmand Award?

1 Like

Not knocking the food or chef at PP, but that is 100% not fine dining.

My guess is bribe or blackmail.

1 Like

It’s a newer category:

The Michelin Plate

Many restaurants never see the inside of a Michelin Guide, much less a star . The Michelin Plate indicates “restaurants where the inspectors have discovered quality food.” This is a new addition, introduced in the guide’s 2018 edition.

2 Likes

But the category of restaurant in which PP was considered is specifically NOT fine dining.

Nothing in Michelin’s own description says the Bib Gourmand award is about fine dining. The text strongly implies the opposite.

The five or six that I know of in Miami who got this award (I’ve not been to them but they’re well known enough in Florida) are definitely not fine dining.

1 Like

Forgive me for not being an expert in all things Michelin, but based on the above line from the article I didn’t realize non fine dining establishments were even considered. Especially given that all of the other restaurants are in fact fine dining locations.

1 Like

It’s just different categories is all. I can see how the article - or even just the reputation of Michelin - would lend itself to that understanding.

2 Likes

I thought it was hilarious that Cali Grill and PPig were in the same category, let alone the same sentence :laughing:

3 Likes

Michelin isn’t making this especially easy.

The starred category is the least ambiguous. It’s been around for many years and the standards are more clear cut. Despite their association with fine dining (itself an ambiguous term), it’s not a prerequisite. Four restaurants in Orlando received one star and Capa the the Four Seasons is the only one with a Disney association.

The Bib Gourmand is a newer category. It’s a recognition of superlative but approachable food at a value price. None of the Disney-associated places, including Polite Pig, received this. The value-orientation also explains the inclusion of the Miami places I mentioned. I was mistakenly conflating the Bib Gourmand category with…

The Bib “Plate.” Where this gets confusing is I can find nothing in Michelin’s site that refers to this name. Every reference to “Bib Plate” is from a third-party article. Also, if one looks at the Michelin Orlando list, it doesn’t make any visible distinction between Bib Gourmand and “Bib Plate.”

So it looks like Bib Plate is something of a “worthy of notice” award without any special distinction of category or restaurant class.

EDIT: if you look carefully in the Orlando list, you can tell the Bib Gourmand recipients. Just to the left of the restaurant name will be an icon of ol’ Bibbendum licking his chops. Those are the Gourmand recipients. The “plates” will have neither a star nor Bibbendum.

4 Likes

Never eaten at any of the locations listed, but I have eaten at a few Bib Gourmand restaurants.

A lower Price Point for whatever is considered a “standard meal” is absolutely a big factor in which restaurants are considered. From there, it’s more along the lines of, is the quality of the meal better than comparable other restaurants of like kind in the region, for the money spent. It may also be based on what the reviewer(s) ate and drank, not just what I happened to order at that same restaurant. The seafood may be amazing, but that doesn’t mean my burger is of that same quality.

1 Like

I strongly disagree with this. We esteem restaurants based on our own criteria.

If one visits me at my home (and @OBNurseNH can back me up on this), I’ll probably take you to two places.

One is truly fine dining Italian. If Michelin gave out stars in this part of Florida, I think they’d be a strong contender. The food showcases seasonal ingredients and rotates through the regions of Italy. The wine list is stupendous. Service is both friendly and thoroughly professional.

The other is a punk rock pizza dive bar. The drink menu is creative and executed with amazing skill. The pizzas are completely off the wall but I’ve never had one that didn’t wow me. The vibe is unlike any place I’ve ever been. You can bring your kid in a stroller or your 80 year old mother and everyone is warmly welcomed.

I absolutely rank these two places together. Anyone who gets around food-wise around here probably does also. Talk to the people working and one about the other and you’ll find they’re mutual fans. Talent expresses itself in many ways.

2 Likes

When can I see you again? :drooling_face:

That was one heck of a delicious weekend, that’s for sure!

2 Likes

I know the perfect weekend you guys could get together…

3 Likes

Nope.

See, this would require a non-WDW trip.

Worth it, but can’t swing it right now.

3 Likes