Mears Connect has arrived

What annoys me most is the math (he says to a maths professor) involved in the parking and ME charges. I think we all felt the premium Disney charged for resort rooms was at least partially validated by the “free” parking and Magical Express perks.

Let’s use a round Value rate of $150 before new charges started.
Then they added $15 per day parking.
Now, a family of 4 has to pay $118 for Mears.

For a 5 day trip, we’re talking an increase in costs of 26% of the original booking.
That is very large in only a couple of years.

Plus, of course that doesn’t factor in the significant increases in hotel rates themselves in the same period, which clearly have jumped over normal inflation rates.

(I haven’t crunched those numbers, but I bet I’m right. :wink: )

I understand, things go up in price - but both taking away services while increasing prices is a pretty sneaky one - two punch. I full expect resort fees to be next, since every other resort in the area have them. And I REALLY hate resort fees, they are a complete scam.

8 Likes

Quicksilver Tours is $140 round trip for a town car (4 passengers) and $155 for a van (up to 10 passengers).

Edit: I used them for a van service between WDW and UOR and I highly recommend.

7 Likes

Nope. Not allowing it. Not on my watch. No way.

ABSOLUTE dealbreaker for me.

4 Likes

But you wouldn’t be paying for Mears if you had a car and paid parking right?

I was going to say the same thing. My family of 4 took an Uber for $70 round trip. Not shared. No wait.

Why would anyone pay for this??

2 Likes

As a solo traveller it’s roughly 1/4 of the current Uber fares, but I still will probably Uber vs taking this service.

3 Likes

Right…. So sounds like I could sit in a packed bus that Makes multiple stops… or pay more but still under 200 for a private car.

I think families will be looking at their options! Also limo service helps with luggage.

I see there is a difference, but when it comes to vacation, I’ll pay a little extra for a better experience.

1 Like

Sure, but my point is in total value of services that was built into the price. I could have a time where I used ME then got a car for excursions, or have a mix of people in my room that do one or the other, or even people in a room arriving in multiple cars.

(Plus, I probably juiced up the actual value rate from that time - I could have likely booked a value 2 or 3 years ago at much less than $150 with a discount rate, which would make the % of total even higher.)

1 Like

I will. Because rideshare and car services aren’t wheelchair accessible. There are very few accessible taxis and they are notoriously unreliable. Same for handicap rental cars.

Older people who don’t trust Uber or Lyft will also. Parents who don’t want to lug multiple car seats will.
Single women who are similarly uneasy with rideshare will.
It definitely won’t work for everyone. But people will use it.

7 Likes

Oooooh yeah value wise… got it.

1 Like

I’ll also say that there’s a huge chunk of this country where rideshare just isn’t common or readily available. Those people may be uncomfortable with rideshare or car services. The bus is a known quotient.
I think we tend to look at things through the eyes of experienced liners. But we are only a small percentage of visitors.

4 Likes

I am going to give it a try. For my first trip in 2022 I am traveling with DW. We arrive and depart on different days, for $72 we are both covered. I am sure it will not be the same as DME but I like knowing that I have transport scheduled and DW won’t have to get into a rideshare by herself at 9:45 at night.

5 Likes

I can see those would be reasons. I guess the prices could more reasonable to account for “sitting in a packed bus that makes multiple stops”. Still doesn’t add up to me.

Will the new service operate from the same area DME operates?

Because if so I’m taking an Uber. The DME check-in is — what? — a thirty, forty mile walk from where you get off the terminal transporter.

1 Like

It’s on the A side now, but first level like DME.
You don’t get to complain, lol. It’s not THAT bad.
Try doing it with all your luggage and a wheelchair, lol.

Am I in the wheelchair, or pushing the wheelchair?

Pushing it! With a child in it that keeps asking if "we’re there yet " :rofl:

1 Like

We were the parents that brought the car seats, used them on the plane, then put them under the DME bus and had them sit in the closet area at our resort until we reversed the process on the way home.:wink:

2 Likes

I have done the same thing, although I’m also a pilot and do not like the idea of lap children (even if statistically it makes sense).

1 Like

Former child passenger safety technician… I learned too much in my training to fly w/o a car seat!

2 Likes