Meandering discussion including but not limited to Disney shows, child behavior, speech therapy, song lyrics, autoimmune disorders, peanut butter substitutes, hygiene, and wine

Are you trying to tell me I should be grateful that my husband’s college roommates were absolute pigs? :rofl:

3 Likes

There is likely truth to that.

While all causes of allergies are no fully understood, there is growing evidence that being exposed at a very young age to various “allergens” primes the body to tolerate those allergens. So, being very clean and such actually causes the immune system to be “trained” not to tolerate things.

1 Like

huh. interesting. Must have skipped me though - I was the mud pie making, bug collecting queen of my neighborhood growing up.

1 Like

Hehe. Yeah. Well, as I said, not ALL causes are understood! :slight_smile:

I think my family should be part of a study. I, for example, have weird allergies. Mostly seasonal which have, as I’ve aged, TURNED INTO food allergies. I’m allergic to corn, because I’m allergic to grass. I’m allergic to canteloup because I’m allergic to ragweed, etc.

2 Likes

Great idea !!! :smiley:

2 Likes

My husband is allergic to avocados because he’s a Californian.

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

Not you cause it didn’t help you but they can be proud of themselves !!! :crazy_face:

1 Like

My wife is allergic to avocados and carries an epi-pen because they’re one of her favorite foods and she won’t stop eating them.

2 Likes

I’ve found it’s just easier to eat as if I were allergic to gluten. No risk of accidental cross contamination.

1 Like

Fascinating. When I get tired I find it a lot harder to filter out extraneous sounds and it’s almost as if there is a constant noise in my head (except I can’t ‘hear’ it exactly) and that makes it 10 x harder to hear the sounds outside my head. Also, my hearing is less accurate when I’m not wearing my glasses which I can only imagine is because my brain is working hard to compensate for my blindness and has less power to deal with pesky things such as my colleagues :joy:

3 Likes

Whoa, really? Allergies can get worse over time. My husband obviously loved them, but he doesn’t love them to death!

3 Likes

Yep. I’m a big believer in not being too clean. Neither of my boys have allergies (although I can literally only think of one child I know who does, so not unusual!).

3 Likes

@jflafond well done for altering the title! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Smart. But if you ever get the hankering for some good bread, it might be worth seeing how Spelt does for you. We buy this kind, because it cooks/tastes pretty much exactly like all-purpose flour:

Be careful NOT to buy the “Whole Spelt Flour” though, because it doesn’t taste the same at all! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tell me about it. My scent sensitivities (trying saying that more than once) started out as an annoyance and now if someone wears the wrong perfume one side of my face swells up and I have a headache the rest of the day. I am not looking forward to it getting worse!

3 Likes

You could potentially be affected by a form of tinnitus too. It is something that could be investigated by your doctor if you want to. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Considering this, it could also be weird migraines. My, you are an interesting subject ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I have generally whacked sinuses tbh. Recurrent sinusitis is my life and I’m never not packing a decongestant. One of the things I’m worried about for my upcoming Tokyo Disney trip, they do not like pseudoephedrine and it is a prohibited substance :disappointed:

2 Likes

Ugh. Scent sensitivities are the worst. Mine isn’t an allergy, but once when I was a teenager, I went to a perfume counter, and then gorged on pemmican from a survivalist store in Salt Lake City, and got very sick to my stomach. To this day, I can smell Rive Gauche at a rate of 1 part per million. Thank God I don’t run into pemmican very often. :rofl:

3 Likes