May the Force Be With Us: A Family Trip Report Summer 2021

DD2 will eat anything! I am grateful, but all my kids went through this stage before deciding everything was yucky at age 3. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

I haven’t done Teppan Edo yet - but this last thread really makes me want to! Also, I’m officially obsessed with your little travel group. Sorry, I’ll try not to make it weird :rofl:. Everyone has such great reactions in photos and seems to be having an absolutely wonderful time.

6 Likes

This is developmentally appropriate and harkens back to our caveman days when by that age we would wander from the cave more unsupervised. It’s a mechanism designed to keep us feom eating things that look weird or taste weird because it could
have killed us.

Of course that doesn’t make it less frustrating now :joy:

7 Likes

My verdict:

My one disappointment was that I really like the Japanese fried rice and they don’t offer it here - only steamed rice and udon noodles (which were a bit slimy for my liking, but good). That said, the filet and lobster was succulent and delicious, so I was satisfied.

Also I spent less here than at The Kitchen at HRH the other night, so the value was great (chalk that up to each kid eating literally $1.50 worth of rice. Seriously. I thought it was a typo. They couldn’t actually charge that little for anything in WDW could they?!?! Cheapest kids’ meal of the trip :joy:.)

The ambiance, professionalism, entertainment, and energy in this restaurant can’t be beat by its competitors. I will definitely be back (again).

15 Likes

Oooohhh, I thought the noodles were maybe just your choice? So strange that the fried rice isn’t an option - that’s certainly a favorite of mine at teppanyaki restaurants as well.

And that is a good value for the kiddos’ meals!!

3 Likes

Shopped a little around Japan. Checked into our villa at Beach Club. It’s nowhere near where we requested, but oh well. The villa is clean and not at all dated - I’m wondering if @poohfanclub was at the BC hotel rather than villas? In any case, it works for us! We are the second floor so we have a full length balcony across all three rooms of our 2BR villa.

There is MUCH more space here than at AKL. Biggest downside is no sleeper chair, though I think the sofa bed is bigger? I feel like we can all sprawl out a little more without stepping on toes or getting on nerves.

We are FAR from SAB so I’m wondering how often we will end up going. That’s probably why we didn’t get my requested rooms - anything close to SAB is probably really popular. We are troopers so we’ll cope.

Now to rest our aching feet from our trek around the world!

23 Likes

While I’m waiting for bell services, here’s some pics of the Japan pavilion. I really do love this pavilion. So peaceful and serene. We went to Japan with our two oldest kids five years ago (visiting my parents who lived there temporarily at the time) and one of the things they loved was these sour gummy fettuccine candies. So I bought a couple bags after telling each child multiple times that they couldn’t buy anything at this gift shop. Dad’s rules are Dad’s rules. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

27 Likes

All your kids are super adorable! But I love DD2. She still has her squeezable chubby baby cheeks and arms. And look how she is clinging to you while you are taking the picture. You are the center of her world!

7 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: You haven’t had good udon. Go to Fukada in Irvine the next time you go to DLR. Only soup udon so it will be slippery and slimy.

That’s actually pretty cheap! The going rate is $3/bowl at Chinese restaurants in the Bay Area. It used to be about $1/person not too long ago and it was all you can eat.

5 Likes

Epsom salt soak works wonders.

4 Likes

I’m also disappointed they don’t have fried rice there as it’s one of my favorite parts of the meal too.

4 Likes

By the way, regarding the “Kawaii” art exhibit, when we were in (actual) Japan, many strangers would come up to us and say “Kawaii!!!” as they ogled our cute little kiddos. So that is how I still remember to this day that “kawaii” means “cute” in Japanese. :dizzy::smile:

Here are all the Photopass photos we’ve gotten so far - I finally downloaded them:

22 Likes

Yes! So much.

You guys have had a lovely day! I agree with you about BC over AKL. I really loved the space of the 2 bdrm villa at BC. It might end up being a good thing to be far from SAB. We were next to one of the relaxation pools and the Saturday night we were there there was a group in the hot tub having a good ole time until midnight and it was hard to go to sleep until they left.

2 Likes

I will take the silver lining! I have heard that there was noise on this side of Beach Club against the road but honestly I can’t hear a thing outside the room. So I think it will end up working for us.

We were going to swim tonight but we were all tired so we decided to unpack, do laundry, and watch TV till bedtime.

10 Likes

I love your wife’s smile.

3 Likes

My highest step count so far this week was yesterday (Thursday - 27,000 steps / 11 miles) when I crisscrossed UOR with DSIL to experience all the roller coasters. The lowest day was Volcano Bay when I didn’t have my phone with me most of the time. My average pre-trip was under 5,000 steps a day, so this is a significant increase for me!

Today was a great day. From the moment we scored a boarding group till we stepped in our villa tonight, things tended to go smoothly, if not always exactly as planned. We set out very reasonable goals of what to accomplish (basically SWGE and FEA with dinner at Teppan Edo) and we succeeded. We didn’t do anything that wasn’t planned, but we managed to do what we planned in a little less time than I thought we’d need.

Tomorrow is our Fantasyland day! No boarding groups! :sweat_smile: We will probably not do anything close to rope drop. We are going to focus on rides that everyone can do together, with the exception of 7DMT, which i think everyone but DD2 can ride and will love.

Dinner is at Olivia’s - can’t wait to try it! If it’s not as good as @ryan1 made it sound I will hold him personally responsible. (Kidding!)

16 Likes

As you can imagine given my most important life choices, I do too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thank you!

8 Likes

At least I know you will still like me. Or at least my posts. :wink:

5 Likes

Z1

It’s like a participation trophy

5 Likes

I somehow missed this one on the boat. I like how everyone is decked out for SWGE.

15 Likes