May the Force Be With Us: A Family Trip Report Summer 2021

Just to give you a sampling, DW took these pics. She is great at getting shots of the kids - I think they are more inclined to pose for her. She also loves to take TONS of pictures of blossoms. Her camera roll has thousands of them.

15 Likes

I don’t know why people knock the food here. I am a steak snob - I eat almost exclusively filet mignon when ordering steak - and the flat iron steak here is one of the most flavorful, tender cuts I’ve ever had. I’m not saying it’s gourmet - it’s just delicious. The coconut shrimp with plum sauce is amazing. My picky kids cleaned their plates for the first time this whole trip - and we didn’t even make them share kids meals this time! They each had their own. (Of course, it was just plain noodles and cheese pizza, but still…) DW loved the Caribbean rice. And we haven’t even had our much anticipated dessert yet. All I’m saying is, don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

18 Likes

Thank you for your review of Rainforest.

People forget that taste is subjective. Taste in food and ambiance. And though I was previously disheartened by reviews of this place from other people, you’ve helped make me excited again to try for ourselves.

6 Likes

We went to Rainforest Cafe at AK last August. The food was fine - not outstanding - but that could be we didn’t order the right things. But it was crowded … the most crowded of anything we experienced on that trip where we were still quite Covid sensitive. It was noisy. And we had to wait a loooong time for our table (we had a reservation). And it was August and super hot. I wouldn’t say it was the food that makes me not want to go back - it was the other stuff. Having eaten at Satuli Canteen in April, I wish we had gone there but I wanted us to have AC. (Had tried for Y&Y but couldn’t get a reservation.)

9 Likes

I definitely think the food is perfectly acceptable. I actually really liked their breakfast too.

3 Likes

Volcano was a hit with the whole family! I ordered an extra scoop of ice cream for myself because it always seems everyone else hogs the ice cream and I never have enough! :joy: We probably could have made do with what they gave, but we very nearly polished it all off, so I was glad to have it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Action shot of me being happy with my dessert:

The aftermath:

23 Likes

I can totally see why that would not be an ideal situation! We were lucky to arrive and be seated shortly thereafter, and everything went smoothly. I am a firm believer in 5pm ADRs (or even 4:30pm) to avoid the dinner rush. It seems you get more TLC that way.

9 Likes

An ice cream fan…

Why have I not seen a Beaches & Cream Soda Shop visit yet?

I am expecting a Kitchen Sink to be shared with the party of 8!

…or at least a personal No Way José late at night when you sneak out of the room.

12 Likes

Sigh … I am always afraid to go somewhere super popular cause crowds / long waits.

ETA but I’m considering putting in a shake order next door.

4 Likes

I go for atmosphere over food at WDW. Truth be told, there isn’t anything there I can’t get better within a 15 minute drive from home. Yes, even Dole Whip which is literally right up the street.

My favorite is the brie, banana and strawberry crepe. That is next level.

So when I say my family loves, or is excited to try xyz…it’s the show we’re after. Watching people float by on boats as we eat among a Mexican street market. Being able to have a volcano dessert then walk immediately into AK. Eating “Grey Stuff” while Beast walks by and another petal falls. All of that, the experience is why we go back to TS again and again. It’s our family’s preference. And if the food happens to be better than expected, that’s just bonus!

The crowds and noise etc. of Rainforest is pretty similar throughout the franchise. I’m trying to remember a time I didn’t have any of those problems and I can’t. But I go because every once in a while, I want to be in a cool, dark, air conditioned restaurant surrounded by trees, watching the fake animals go crazy, knowing that my dollars are actually helping RL animals at the same time. It’s almost like the more I eat, the more I help…what could possible go wrong :rofl::rofl:

13 Likes

I understand…and I am impressed. The force is strong in your family.

I would not be able to resist getting a No Way José if I was staying a BCV.

5 Likes

We were trying for a mid-afternoon - it’s not lunch, but it’s not dinner - reservation. It just felt over-booked at the time. I think had we been seated faster, I would have had a much more positive feeling about that meal! I’ve been to RC here in Washington when the girls were little (that one closed a while back) and enjoyed it.

7 Likes

I love that dessert so much. My daughter and I are yelling VOLCANO looking at your pictures and counting down the days until our turn in July!

6 Likes

Wow, real menus! :joy:

I’m so glad the food was good for all of you. I also never have any complaints when we visit RC.

Agree!

:star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

7 Likes

SuperLinerBro nod…I can respect that. :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t want to make my family seem low brow (which we are :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) but I’m not joking when I say my DW and DILs said Rainforest Cafe was their favorite overall meal of the trip. Homecomin’ they say had some aspects better (the sides, for example). :man_shrugging:

(Personally I see what they mean but I wouldn’t want to sound crazy, so I’ll just say it was a really good meal. :joy:)

13 Likes

SpitefulDeadlyArgusfish-size_restricted%20(1)

:joy::joy:

7 Likes

I’ve never actually ridden KRR, but you two look like you’re having a blast! I think the kids want to go the next time we are there.

10 Likes

You’ll have to take them because KRR is a hard pass for me. I’m like a magnet to waterfalls. :sweat_drops:
@Jeff_AZ love the Lion King t-shirt!

5 Likes

Please talk to my DH! He likes dinner between 6 and 7. That’s very hard to work with when making ADRs.

3 Likes