Marvel Cinematic Universe

DH and I finally saw Spider-Man.
We did NOT like the story.
Are we truly the only ones?
Yes - action sequences were great, but hated the story.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen it yet. Waiting to rent it on iTunes.

3 Likes

I was whelmed by it. Not overwhelmed, not underwhelmed…just whelmed.

I didn’t find it the OMG EARTHSHATTERINGLY GOOD thing that it seems almost everyone else did.

5 Likes

LOL

2 Likes

:smiley:

(Yes, the emoji is a complete sentence.)

2 Likes

I agree. I did not find the story was a great one to wrap up the trilogy.

Listening to others review the movie on podcasts, I hear a common theme that it was great fan service for the 9 Spidey movies. Most of them were forced to ignore the plot holes, pacing, and strangely quite parts of the movie that felt like they ran out of time to add a music score to. They recognise the problems with the movie, but have decided not to pull on those loose threads for fear of unravelling the movie.

I think it is a case of fans really wanting it to work and giving it a pass for not living up to the Marvel standards we have become accustomed to.

3 Likes

Eternals is now on D+. I don’t remember if there was much talk about it here - what did everyone think about it? From what I gathered the general reception wasn’t great.

I finally saw it a week ago at a theater that was still playing it. I actually really enjoyed it! I mean I can kind of see some of the “flaws” but overall I liked it and I think they did a good job with all new characters - I liked pretty much all of them.

2 Likes

I thought that it was a nice movie about family and Marvel’s first attempt at romantic drama in a movie.

I went in with expectations based on the amazing comics (Jack Kirby and the Neil Gaiman runs in particular), and the movie did not live up to those. Adding to the general malaise is the fact that it doesn’t relate to any other Marvel movie, and doesn’t feel like part of the MCU in any real way (yet).

2 Likes

Hey question about this - I don’t know anything about the comics, but did just a quick fandom readup - did I understand correctly that in the comics Eternals were some sort of evolved humans / superhumans? because in the movie they seem to be more artificial beings and “programmed” for their task. I’m not even sure if there is a clear difference between the two, but the impression I got was that supposedly they are not at all human, but still they are exactly like humans (or superhuman) and that doesn’t really make sense.

(semi-spoiler for the movie)

2 Likes

There are multiple versions of the Eternals origins with different nuances, but I can assure you that none of them match the movie’s version exactly.

There’s some ‘creator God’ nuances with the Celestials in the comics that I can imagine Disney wanted to avoid, in order to minimize backlash from religious groups. The version they ended up going with really doesn’t make sense, I agree with you.

2 Likes

I felt like it should have been a D+ series rather than a movie - there were too many new characters introduced that unless you’re a comic nerd you probably didn’t know. I know I didn’t and my friends who aren’t big comic nerds didn’t.

I did see it twice just to see if I missed something and I will say that the second time Icharus’ behavior and demeanor made so much more sense knowing that they are basically robots.

2 Likes

I had the exact same thought when I saw it in the theatre. There is too much going on to be placed in a single movie. There was a lot of character development that did not happen or was dropped on the cutting room floor.

It would have been much better to spend more time with these characters to “care” more about what happens.

4 Likes

Yeah - especially for new characters. (New to those who have not read the comics anyway.)

Yes, Infinity War and Endgame had a lot of characters and a lot of things going on, but we’d had all the previous movies to get to know them so they were not as confusing.

2 Likes

Eternals was definitely not our favorite. Too much going on, too much crammed into a single movie for us - was a general consensus for the 4 of us who went. We couldn’t wait to rewatch Shang-Chi when it came to Disney+, but none of us are rushing to do the same with Eternals. I do have friends who are big comic book fans and they loved it.

4 Likes

In the words of @lizzieanne771 I was whelmed by the eternals.:grin:

6 Likes

Whelmed is a great word! :grinning:

2 Likes

Much more descriptive than: “It was fine.” :laughing:

4 Likes

Did y’all know that “Save The City” (the song from the fake musical in Hawkeye) is on Spotify??

NEW OBSESSION!!

Seriously…if the composers actually wrote the full musical I would totally pay full price to see it. That song from a fake musical is better than some of the stuff I’ve actually seen on Broadway!

7 Likes

I could play that all day :wink:

(And go for Shawarma when I’m done :rofl:)

5 Likes

I shared this w/ dd and dh. Dh checked and it is apparently also on Apple Music.

3 Likes