Marvel Cinematic Universe

I recently finished watching all 7 seasons of Agents of SHIELD in about 3 weeks. I don’t think I’ve watched a multi-season show in such a short time before, this method had both it’s ups and downs for sure. As for the show, I really both loved and hated it.

Loved: the main cast. Any tie ins with the rest of Marvel stories. Revealing the origins of inhumas. And origins of HYDRA, this was a surprise to me. Coulson’s story in the beginning, less so in the end. Some of the humor was great, particularly some of the very random punchlines (“Agent L.T. Koenig. Sorry about kicking your candy ass.”). The Ghost Rider tie in was very cool, however the ghost episodes were kind of ridicilous. I also didn’t understand

Hated: repetitive plots. I feel like the writers should’ve and would’ve had enough ideas to not have to repeat the same stuff: torment the main characters more / almost kill them constantly, or bring another dead person back / turn a good guy into a villain or LMD. In fact I hated the whole LMD thing, it’s such a weak idea - let’s turn everyone into evil robots that no one can distuinqish! Also really disliked the first half of season 5 (Kasius was probably the worst character in the series), so much I almost stopped watching.

I also felt really mixed about the last season. I liked the era themed episodes (particularly the Area 51 one) but I wasn’t a fan of the constant time travel mess. The chronicoms were a strange villain and Nathaniel Malick was a weak character imo. I would’ve hoped for something better but they kind of “wasted” most of HYDRA earlier on. I expected the Kree to play a bigger role in the end since they were the ones who started everything.

I feel like I have a ton to say about it but I’m trying to keep it short :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Had anyone here tried the Inhumans series?

I was just talking to DH about this earlier and we were wondering if we should give it another go before Eternals.

We tried the first few episodes of Inhumans but didn’t take to it.

Glad you mostly enjoyed Agents @Mike_vndt. I loved the time travel stuff. Especially when they got to bring Sousa with them.. Might have to watch it all again sometime.

5 Likes

I just read about Inhumans (the series) and honestly, it didn’t look very intriguing

3 Likes

I can agree with you on much of it. I watched the whole series as the episodes aired - except I never did see the very last episode. Now that Disney+ has this, I should try to watch that one. In the early shows, i the plots seemed so much easier to follow. As they did more space travel/time travel/alternate world (evil robots) it did feel a bit bogged down and confusing. Now that years have passed and MCU has more movies and TV series that have/will come along, and they’re all greatly interconnected, I need to rewatch lots of things, whether movies or shows.

I really enjoyed watching so much airtime for Ming-Na Wen and Clark Gregg.

4 Likes

I watched Inhumans when it first aired on ABC. Thankfully, there were only 8 episodes. I say that because it just didn’t seem to engage me. The season it aired, Friday night became the Marvel night on ABC, first with Inhumans in the fall, then Agents of SHIELD had a late season premiere in Dec.

3 Likes

I didn’t realise there were so few. I might just watch it again while WFH. That shouldn’t be too much of a time suck.

4 Likes

Agreed.

BTW, that actor is now a recurring character on the new NCIS: Hawai’i.

3 Likes

Agreed, I really liked both of their characters

I just wish it would’ve ended differently. After everything May went through along the seasons (she was beaten up in every episode, had her identity and face stolen multiple times, shot multiple time, nearly died multiple times, had her husband turn into a monster and die, get kidnapped and tortured…), she would’ve deserved more than seeing Coulson die and then for him to come back both as an alien AND and an LMD. I think it just went too far in terms of tormenting her.

5 Likes

Finally got around to watching Black Panther. I’ve been putting if off ever since it came out in order to see all (or most) of the movies in release order, and now was the time. And it was awesome! I started the movies fully expecting to be an Avengers fan, but to be honest, all the Captain America movies and Panther have been my favorites. The visuals were stunning and needless to say, Boseman was great. Couldn’t not get emotional when watching this and now knowing about his illness at the time the film was made.

Finally getting around to Infinity War and Endgame soon, though I haven’t exactly been able to keep their stories completely under wraps. But the movie I’m most excited for is Eternals, I’ve seen the trailer and TV spots pver and over again and it looks phenomenal!

7 Likes

I just found this thread…and wow it was quite a lot to catch up to. I’m excited for those of you doing a watch. For your first time through I do like a Cinematic Release watch…timeline is a second time through kind of thing.

I know there are spreadsheet fans in this bunch - so here’s the doc I work off of when I want to rewatch - and to know what’s happening in the MCU (I don’t actually know who created it to give them credit). It is intense, but really gives you the rundown if you want to get in deep.

6 Likes

Disney+ actually has playlists of the movies in Cinematic Release Order or Timeline Release Order.

2 Likes

Wow! There’s a lot of things on that list I’ve never even heard of. I want know what all the one shots and other things are.

That’s really helpful for putting the movies into the Agents of Shield timeline though, so thanks for that :+1:t2:

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering why most of these aren’t on D+? I came across them when looking through the release orders and doing some background search

3 Likes

I can see that a few of them are referring to the extras that are on D+, but most aren’t. Are the ones you’ve seen on YouTube?
Feels like a potential rabbit hole to try and find them without the right search terms. I don’t want to be watching fan-made rubbish.

3 Likes

They are on the DVDs and BluRays of the main movies, but I don’t remember which ones are with which movie.

3 Likes

I like to use Wikipedia to sort this stuff out. This page has info on all the various movies, TV shows, and direct-to-video things (One Shots).

The Consultant was on Thor.
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer was on Captain America: The First Avenger.
Item 47 was on Marvel’s The Avengers.
Agent Carter was on Iron Man 3.
All Hail the King was on Thor: The Dark World.

5 Likes

I’m going to have to work my way through the list and find all of these on YouTube.
I just watched this one with Coulson. Awesome!!! :laughing:

5 Likes

This is the Ben Kingsley one??
I thought that was brand new. Was it just new to Disney+?

4 Likes

Just new to Disney+

4 Likes

Yes, it’s the Ben Kingsley one. I saw it a few years ago, when it was on the DVD/BluRay. It’s new to Disney+…They probably added it now because there are tie-ins to the Ten Rings.

5 Likes