Marvel Cinematic Universe

:rofl::rofl: Brilliant!!

5 Likes

Not really. I wouldn’t watch it again for sure. I enjoyed Loki and WandaVision a lot more.

However, I screamed out loud when Julia Louis-Dreyfus appeared. I LOVE her.
I am excited she’s part of the MCU and that we are clearly going to get more of her

5 Likes

People keep mentioning her, but apart from a few Disney voice roles, she means absolutely nothing to me. She’s not even related to Richard!!

Do other Brits know her??

4 Likes

She was part of the shows Seinfeld and Veep, which have been very popular in the US. Did they cross over to the UK?

4 Likes

I’ve heard of them, and I know Seinfeld is a big thing that gets quoted a lot (ie on here), but I’m really not familiar with it all. I don’t think I’ve even heard of Veep.
I might just be sheltered, I don’t know 🤷🏽🤣

4 Likes

It’s funny what makes it across the pond and what doesn’t. As a child of the 80s I’m sure my parents worried I would end up with an American accent given how much US TV I watched, but there’s still masses of pop culture references that I read on here that go completely over my head.

5 Likes

That’s ok. Seinfeld wasn’t all that. :grin: Seems like the characters sat around talking all the time about stuff. Didn’t they work? Or cook? Or clean?

Maybe that’s why I like the buddy adventure stuff - at least they’re busy while they’re not cooking or cleaning.

4 Likes

No, I’ve heard the name but don’t know her.

3 Likes

I think Veep was on Sky Atlantic. We’ve got Virgin so we couldn’t watch it but I remember wanting to.

3 Likes

Yes!!

3 Likes

You are.

I love Julia Louis-Dreyfus. I’ve seen every episode of Seinfeld multiple times. I did watch Veep, but never loved it and didn’t make it through all of the episodes.

With the exception of Fawlty Towers and Blackadder I’ve always preferred American sitcoms. Oh, and the UK’s The Office. And The Inbetweeners. But in general UK sitcoms bore me. I have zero interest in Gavin and Stacey or The Vicar of Dibley.

2 Likes

We are big fans of The IT Crowd. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I love the IT crowd. Richard Ayoade cracks me up!

4 Likes

And of course, completely on topic thanks to Chris O’Dowd :laughing::+1:t2:

3 Likes

Just finished Guardians of the Galaxy. Quite fun. Liked the characters, though Thor remains my favourite (character and movie).

I’m enjoying the ones I’ve seen enough to actually watch them, but I’m not finding them life-changingly brilliant or addictive. I’m not getting why people are so into them. But maybe my 48-inch TV isn’t really up to the job. Maybe I need to buy a bigger one.

Next up … Captain America: The Winter Soldier

So far —

Years ago: Captain America
Months ago: Iron Man (first third)
Now: Thor, Avengers Assemble, GOTG

Also, slightly fewer years ago: Captain Marvel (at the cinema, fell asleep in the middle)

6 Likes

Interesting to hear what you think of Winter Soldier. The Captain America movies have been my favorites in MCU so far.

I’m not a long haul fan but I’ll answer any way: I liked it a lot! As I mentioned, out of the movies (I’ve only seen them until Civil War) I’ve liked the original Captain America and Winter Soldier (followed by Civil War) the best, so I guess that aligns with liking Falcon & Winter Soldier. I suppose it’s partly because they are the most “realistic” (can’t think of a better word), as opposed to for example Ultron.

3 Likes

I like those movies too, which is why I want to love it, but it’s not pushing the right buttons for me.

What @dianelynn said about the villains being shades of grey struck a chord. I just can’t understand what the end game is for the flag smashers. I absolutely get why they’re mad, but that’s where their relatability ends for me. Seeing Sam play with the shield was fun, but there was little else to pull me in.
Although I still enjoy the movies, I have a similar issue with both Black Panther and Far From Home. In the former I find the villain completely relatable and I think it’s a bit DC to have your audience root for the villain. In the latter I can’t fathom Mysterios end game. The character himself is very exciting and I loved watching him come to life on screen, and although I can buy into his motives, I can’t see what his actions were ultimately trying to achieve.

The reality thing doesn’t do it for me either. I want my fantasy to be fantastic. I get enough reality in real life :rofl:

7 Likes

Thats a good point regarding the flag smashers, their story felt forced to me too. I think it was both Sam’s and Bucky’s stories and their friendship that I enjoyed the most.

6 Likes

We watched Far from Home recently and I like it better than Homecoming - that is to say, I’ll mind a rewatch less.

Movies get rewatched at my house a LOT. My grandson is amazed that I can name that movie based on just a few notes of the opening music. I’m seldom watching the movie as much as I’m hearing it.

I think quite a few of the solo movies are simple - like Thor. Movie version of comic books. Mind candy, as it were. Capt America seems to be the exception to the rule. I’ve not seen Black Widow yet. Guardians are the exception maybe.

I remember thinking with Homecoming - it’s over already ?

5 Likes

She was also the female half of the ultra modern couple next door to the Griswolds in National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. Loved her scenes.

5 Likes