Marvel Cinematic Universe

This would be a hot - but easy - costume for me to pull together for MNSSHP. Minus the braids because I don’t do cultural appropriation like that. Phantom sweatshirt? Easy. Basketball shorts? Easy. I would probably adapt and just do sneakers rather than rain boots though.

6 Likes

I could make it weather-appropriate by doing a t-shirt… I’ll hit the Broadway stores and see what I can find.

3 Likes

Do y’all think it would be ok to do the t rather than the sweat given it will be late August?

4 Likes

Of course, I’m not sure I even noticed it was a sweatshirt just that it was funny she had a Phantom shirt on

5 Likes

T for sure

5 Likes

OK, we just came back from seeing Love and Thunder. Now it’s my turn to blur away.

1. at 55 years old, I am obviously 45 years older than the target demographic.

2. that was the worst parody of a superhero.movie ever.

3. Dark World is no longer my least favorite Marvel movie.

4. Taika Waititi, just no more.

5. Not even naked Chris Hemsworth is worth watching this one again.

6. Russell Crowe should have stayed in retirement or wherever he’s been. His role in Les Miserables just got less cringy.

7. Stan Lee had to die to ensure he wasn’t in this movie.

8. For once, Kat Dennings was given the more mature observations in a movie.

9. If EVERYONE is the comic relief, nothing is funny

10. Axl Rose’s bad plastic surgery is no longer the worst thing associated with Guns 'n Roses.

See, you’re not the only people who have blur-worthy things to say.

6 Likes

Finally got to un-blur everything above.

I did expect this movie to have a similar comedic vibe like Ragnarok, but it did not deliver as well for me. Some of the lines were funny, but it did seem like they tried to force a lot of them into the script. Ragnarok had the comedic pacing down, this one feels like they were trying too hard… or they did not do enough rewrites to tighten the comedic pacing up.

I did love the call back to the reenactment of the heroes’ journeys on stage. Bring Matt Damon back as Loki was great. I loved Melissa McCarthy as Hella.

The back Tattoo honoring Loki was a nice touch.

Zeus did not work for me. Russell Crowe needed to stay retired from movies. There was no way for him to reach the levels of Gladiator with a script like this. The Character fell flat for me.

Natalie Portman was pretty good as the Mighty Thor. It was too bad we did not get to explore the character a little more. The whole script seemed to keep things at a level a little too high for any emotional resonance. It would have been nice to spend a little more time with her and Mjölnir to understand how she leveled up so quickly in the movie with her skills. A little more time exploring the cancer and the negative impacts of using the hammer would have been nice. (Maybe a Disney+ 6-part series before this move could have helped).

Christian Bale did great as Gorr the God Butcher. I loved how in the shadows his face always appeared as a skull. The character design and makeup were really good. Christian did a great job in his portrayal. The motivations were clear and the emotional connection to his daughter was done well.

Tessa Thompson is a perfect fit for Valkyrie, the King of New Asgard. I loved seeing her jump around with the Lightning bolt taken from Zeus and deal with the day to day politics as a leader.

I did have an issue with the breaking of the Necrosword so easily. It held up pretty well up to this point when being used against both the hammer and the axe. The only explanation I can come up with is that Thor and the Axe made the blade unstable when Mighty Thor threw Mjölnir at it.

Overall this was an OK movie. I put it as my 3rd favorite Thor movie; right in front of Thor II. Maybe I am expecting too much from Marvel movies and need to lower my expectations.

6 Likes

I haven’t seen it but have unblurred everything. I’ll have forgotten it all by the time I ever watch it.

6 Likes

So you liked it then?

5 Likes

I don’t know. I seem to still be a little on the fence about it…

5 Likes

Yeah it definitely seemed that way, which is what prompted my asking :laughing:

5 Likes

Me too. And then something will resonate and I’ll think I knew it already but won’t know from where. It’s fun being me!

4 Likes

Lol it was a great movie but, can we take a second and discuss Marvel shrinkflation…

I reuse them down in the laundry room for soaking and it’s amazing home small they have gotten.

6 Likes

Better movie, more popcorn. :popcorn:

7 Likes

Pretty sure that one’s on AMC…

4 Likes

The Valkyrie-esque stuff is ordered for my MNSSHP costume - thank you Prime Day!! It’s a t-shirt and not a sweatshirt (come on - late August in Orlando? No way am I doing a sweatshirt), and the shorts are just light grey, no stripe, and I’ll do black tennis shoes. But it’s “ish”!!

7 Likes

I just watched the concluding episode of Ms. Marvel. Lots of good stuff! Tons of action. I can see why there is a very big, obvious warning on the opening screen. This episode wraps things up nicely. But this is Marvel, so stay for the credits. It will be very interesting to see what The Marvels movie has.

3 Likes

I wanted to love this movie - I loved Ragnarok, I was so excited for it, but I really kind of didn’t and now seeing how many of you loved it I’m sad! But a few things just really didn’t hit for me:

I found Gorr to be too creepy, he didn’t seem like he belonged in this franchise. In fact I felt like the whole thing was a weird mashup - Gorr belonged in a DC movie, the jokes were pure Marvel, the cancer subplot was from a Hallmark movie, and the random dumpling god, while adorable, seemed like it came from the Lego movie.

Also the thing with Gorr kidnapping the kids really upset me, and when they fought back I absolutely burst into tears and not in a good way, it just seemed too close to what some people seem to think the response to school shootings should be - taken hostage by a bad guy? Arm yourself and fight back! I just really hated that.

5 Likes

“the cancer subplot was from a Hallmark movie” This part is straight from the comics.

“the jokes were pure Marvel”. I think they were trying too hard.

All in all, I enjoyed it, but I really missed Loki being in it.

3 Likes

Thanks for that info. I am not familiar with the comics, but I loved the whole movie.

Given that I’ve seen online whining about the cancer trope, I’m glad to know that it is canon. (Not sure that helps those who wanted trigger warnings because of it…but those are people like me who are not familiar with the comics clearly.)

3 Likes