Marathoners advice needed

After checking eagerly for months I finally snagged an ADR for Cali Grill Brunch. Only problem is that its an hour after I plan to finish running the Marathon. My friend who convinced me to run the marathon in the first place keeps assuring me that I will not want to eat much that soon afterwards. However, when I finished my first 20-mile run a few weeks ago I was ravenous. So, any advice from my fellow Liner-Marathoners?

I think the big thing here is “I plan”.

If things don’t go just according to plan - if the race start is delayed, if your wave goes off later than you expect, if there’s weather, or if your running doesn’t go as planned - you are going to be hard pressed to make it.

Plus I think you should really get a shower in at the very least before going up to dine up there.

I wouldn’t do it an hour after planned finish. Cutting it way too close.

2 Likes

I think this is sound advice. Keep looking!! Hopefully you’ll be able to snag something later on!

1 Like

Boo… I’m going to try calling and hopefully they can sprinkle some pixie dust on their computer and get me a later ADR. I’ll be solo, not sure if that makes it easier or not.

Will I get dirty looks if I’m dressed appropriately and am generally cleaned up, just havent showered? After the Wine & Dine 10k I used some “shower wipes” before going to MK for a few hours (to take advantage of the low morning crowds), and they worked really well. I didn’t look “fresh”, but I wasn’t dirty and didn’t smell.

I think people will notice you less than you think they will. :laughing: I bet those wipes would be fine for a freshening up. I mean, us ladies get away with dry shampoo for 5 days I don’t see why you couldn’t use those to cover up the ick for a few hours. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I don’t know if it was the desire to go faster, the last 6 miles, the early start, or just the let down, but the two times in recent memory I ran a marathon (after doing training runs up to 18mi) I just wanted to lie in bed for the rest of the day. I think both times I drove home, took a 5 minute shower and slept for the next 3 - 4 hrs.

The first time I finished about 10 minutes later than I wanted. The second time was 25 minutes later. I would definitely budget a LOT more time than 1 hr, especially if you haven’t run a marathon before. A lot can go wrong and you definitely don’t want to be rushed through your recovery and be forced to stand in a line for a bus or on a bus or whatever.

1 Like

I cannot imagine that you will be able to count on being anywhere other than Epcot 1 hour after finishing. The walk thru the finish area, getting to transportation, road closings and traffic back ups. Plus, and I don’t at all mean to sound unfeeling , but have you finished enough marathons to know how you manage at the end? If yes, then cool. But still, the logistics… If not, I cannot imagine crossing a marathon finish line and showing up for a respectable brunch 1 hourr later

2 Likes

Thank you all for your wisdom. I will probably think it over obsessively for the next month in any case

I was finally able to move my ADR to 12:45, about 2 hours after I plan to finish. Lots of available times all of a sudden. WHOOOOP!

4 Likes

Perseverance!

Sorry to rain on your parade but as a 20 marathon vet I can think of no scenario where you will want to sit down for a big meal so soon after finishing a marathon. Especially if it’s your first one. You just have no idea how you will feel. My advice would be to build in time to enjoy the finish at Epcot, rest and clean up, and party later in the day.

1 Like

After my 21-mile run last night I could barely move. I’m not even sure I will be able to finish the marathon anymore. But, if things work out, it would be great to celebrate by hanging out at the Cali Grill for a while and nibble on amazing food and have a mimosa or two. If it doesn’t work out, its not too big a deal to me, except that I’m holding a reservation for 1 that maybe someone else would have otherwise used. I felt fine (and was ravenous) after my last 20-miler a few weeks ago, so I’m giving it a 50-50 chance. If nothing else, getting to the Brunch is motivation to get me across the finish line by the 5-hour mark. I appreciate everyone’s feedback, seriously, its why I love this forum. Thanks!

Congrats on the 21 miler. Those are no joke. What are you 4 weeks out now?

Good luck in the coming weeks. If you do run and finish, don’t feel compelled to rush out of the finish area to get to a restaurant (any restaurant). You may discover that staying in Epcot for a little while longer is exactly where you want to be.

1 Like

Yes, about 25 days out. I’m running for Autism Speaks, so I plan to go to their tent after finishing to get some photos. Other than that, I don’t really care to linger in the finish area. I plan to bus back to Pop for a quick shower, checking out, and then Uber to the Contemporary for brunch. I think 2 hours is enough time for this, but as you said the question is whether I will feel up for it in the first place. Reports are that they pull the brunch buffet at 2, so I will actually have about 3 hours to get there (assuming they will seat me after my ADR time if I’m late).

1 Like

Of course you can! Don’t let that mileage get all up in your head! You are strong and capable and you will finish! You have prepared well. This is the victory lap!

1 Like

Yes you will!!! Take walk breaks if needed, slow your pace, have fun, think of the medals! And I always tell people that the reason I run marathons is because it feels so good when you stop :slight_smile:

Seriously, the 20/21 mile training runs are always the toughest. At the marathon you will have all the inspiration of the parks, music, people cheering you on. I believe you absolutely will do it.

3 Likes

“Race Day Magic” is real and it’s especially real in WDW! You can do it!

3 Likes

The longest I’ve done is 15 and it does get kinda lonely out there after a while.

1 Like