Managing winter weather — how do you do it

ohhhhh durr, I’m slow. I was thinking the opposite where he’d have the hoodie in there and then pull it out later.

1 Like

Since we live where the great outdoors is the main attraction, we have hiking clothing which is literally made to be carried around… It’s almost all synthetic, hence very lightweight, packable, easy to clean or keep clean. So we just bring it to Disney and it works wonderfully.

We dress in layers and avoid cotton like the plague, it’s bad whether you’re too hot or too cold and doesn’t dry out if you get wet. And takes up lots of space, comparatively.

We went to Disney in Dec., and took a lightweight rain jacket that folds up into its own pocket, lightweight fleece (wear these together when it’s cold, then put away the jacket), short sleeved microfiber shirt and lightweight pants that have legs that zip off at the knee. Also little knit mittens and cap. All of this stuff packs up very easily. You would not need a backpack. Except for the fleece, the clothes could all be stuffed in your shorts pockets, or it ALL easily fits in a lumbar pack, which is what I use.

Consequently, we don’t have to check luggage either. As a frequent flyer, that’s anathema to me. It’s just a disaster waiting to happen. I do check my luggage on the way back, as long as there’s nothing too valuable in there.

The only downside is that none of this is cheap. Brands we like are Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, (both have lifetime guarantees). DH likes Arcteryx polos to wear to CA Grill, etc. Also, don’t worry that you will look like you came in out of the woods. You won’t. You’ll look nicer than the average park-goer, TBH.

3 Likes

We have something very similar, except without the clip. So small, it fits into a pocket without any bother at all. The only concern, however, is that unlike something you can wear, if you want to take off the sweatshirt and put it in the bag, you have to carry the bag around in your hand instead.

However, something like this can be folded down to fit into a pocket long enough to get through security, and then immediately put on:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BR23TRR/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b2chgGZ_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=9BNRJWPVAPRVMD00CN9N&pf_rd_r=9BNRJWPVAPRVMD00CN9N&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=41576354-04a3-51e6-8586-28b62a95654f&pf_rd_p=41576354-04a3-51e6-8586-28b62a95654f&pf_rd_i=2404177011

1 Like

I just want to say thank you. My husband thinks I’m nuts that I’ve started to purchase things for our March trip. Shop away!

2 Likes

Because the alternative is to bet a pallet-load of money that Murphy’s Law will be suspended for the length of your stay and everything will just fall into place on its own without any effort from you. If this does not describe your life to this point, I probably wouldn’t count on it commencing during your vacation.

But of course you knew that before you asked the question.

I would have pants in case it’s going to be a cool day, but I bet you’d be fine in shorts, as long as you had a hoodie and a windbreaker. Most people can stand more cold on their legs than on the rest of their bodies. You’ll have runners/shoes with socks, right? Not just sandals?

Also, fyi, 32F = 0C and 70F is roughly 23C.

Under 65 and I’d have a windbreaker or at least a sweater. Under 55 and I want jacket or a hoodie and windbreaker. By 40, I want a fall or light winter jacket and maybe even a light pair of gloves in the pockets, just in case.

That may help you to gauge your needs a little better, or just turn your Weather Channel app to Celcius and be done with it.

I was there last year mid-December and we had one warm day (high near 80) before a cold spell, some nights it was in the 30s and I needed hat and gloves and multiple layers. I wouldn’t plan on shorts every day unless you check the weather right before you leave.

What about rain? I know when it’s warmer, there’s often an afternoon thunderstorm. How does “a chance of rain” play out in the winter?
Looking toward our trip starting next Friday, it looks like there’s a good chance of rain (40%) every day. Here in MN, that would likely be a handful of bursts of rain throughout the day but nothing steady. In FL?

Well, that’s the cool thing about the hiking clothing. We wear the same set-up in all types of weather, it’s endlessly versatile. The lightweight rainjacket not only keeps you warm, it keeps you dry as well. We don’t do ponchos, ever. They have poor function (and look dorky).

I would (and have) worn the exact same outfit on a August morning in Yellowstone, the observatories at the top of Mauna Kea, or a rainy December in Florida. Warm. Dry. Ready to walk around!

Footwear will be more challenging. Normally I’d wear hiking sandles Merrells or Keens and not worry about getting my feet wet. But it’ll be cold. I guess a lightweight waterproof shoe, there are tons available just put waterproof into the search at Zappos.