Maharajah Jungle Terk or Gorilla Falls

We usually spend about 20 minutes on each trail. Someone doing them for the first time might want to take a little longer, but I think 30 minutes should definitely be enough.

1 Like

It is really personal. I could easily spend an hour just watching the meerkats. Then add on the gorillas…

And if the baby tigers are out and playing, that could take time as well.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

You’re welcome!

That is the “problem” with live animals. Sometimes they just nap and other times they are so adorable you cannot bear to leave! So it makes scheduling hard if you are a minute to minute scheduler.

1 Like

3 words…Sumatran Tiger Cubs…

1 Like

It’s really hard to say. If there are no crowds to deal with and you don’t really stop to “watch” any of the animals, you can probably “walk the trails” in about 10 minutes. But if it’s crowded - especially the Gorilla Falls Trail - it could take twice that. I am a serious animal lover (and photographer) so I can spend 20 min at just the tigers or gorillas (if they are out). When it’s crowded, you may have to “wait your turn” if you want to get right up in front of the glass/rails.

I am not a minute-by-minute planner in any of the parks, and especially not at AK because so much depends on the animal behavior on that day. As a general rule of thumb, if I didn’t know I had at least 30 min available, I probably wouldn’t commit to one of the trails.

2 Likes

Excellent point!

Also as an aside, if you are doing the safari, allot extra time just in case. In February we were held up for 20 minutes because an Ankole Cattle decided to stand in the road. Finally a keeper managed to coax him just far enough off the road vehicles could start again. I swear he stuck his tongue out at us as we drove past. (I thought I took a pic but cannot find it at the moment.)

3 Likes

On one of our safaris, a mother rhino and her calf(?) decided to sun themselves in the middle of the road. Rhinos are one of my favorites, so it was pretty cool - but it did add most of 20 min to the safari. Other have reported “giraffic jams”…

2 Likes

Admittedly stupid question, but will the tiger Cubs still be cute and “cubbish” in 3 weeks?

The second picture I posted shows the cubs in mid July. They’ve gotten pretty large (it won’t be long until they’re as big as their mother), but their behavior is still very much like young cats, chasing each other around, stealing food/toys from each other, and practicing pouncing on their mother. Of course, being cats, there’s also a fair amount of napping, too, but the cubs and mom are far more active than mom was when she was on her own.

1 Like

Tigers are always cute and cubbish! :wink:

1 Like

Whichever one it was that had the Okapi. I took over 300 photos of that gorgeous creature. I might just be a nutter though!