Magicband+ is now available

Bummer:

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus/news/01may2022-magicband-to-go-live-at-walt-disney-world-in-june-2022-and-sell-for-under-$30.htm

It looks like it was a mistake and they shouldn’t have been put out on the shelves.
This would have been a cool birthday gift.

5 Likes

So, it occurred to me that they might have released them “by accident” on purpose, to get some buzz started. I wouldn’t put it past them.

What is good news is that they will be out before my trip. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Probably not for ours, but maybe while we are there! We are headed back in the Fall and at the holidays, so we have the opportunity to use them if we want!

1 Like

Maybe they will be out sooner?

I looked today and for arriving guests… this is the selection…

Now, blame “supply chain” issues all you want… given that they used to have 20 or so available for hotel guests… to be down to 2 tells me that they are not ordering them any more. Nobody, least of all disney is having that kind of supply issues.

Can you imagine walking into WOrld of Disney and they have only 2 t-shirts in the store?

3 Likes

I would expect that their “supply chain” issues was getting the new type manufactured in time for Oct 1, 2021, and that they are limiting the ones for arriving guests until they can get these. The fact that they came so late made their current merchandise expectations very low. Now that they have them, they may be trying to create a demand for them.

I also could be very wrong.

1 Like

Sure, anything is possible, but if the new ones are rolling out in June, I would imagine they are more concerned about getting those in stock and not worrying so much about the older model.

I guess I didn’t word my post well. This is what I meant. They initially wanted to roll the new type out in the Fall of 2021, and so figured their current stock of the regular bands would suffice. Then the new bands were delayed, either because of Prototype issues or supply chain issues, and so they had to come up with a way to continue selling bands to guests but not run out.

This works in their favor because then people are really wanting to buy the new ones.

2 Likes

Mike from Be Our Guest podcast already has his - he posted hours ago that it was on the charger. Hopefully they will stock the MDE with them soon!!

3 Likes

Oh I have read further and it seems like an oops. :thinking:

2 Likes

In their press release they said that old style magic bands will still be offered. So I do think we are dealing with supply issues. (The supply issues in regards to chips is real and pretty severe).

1 Like

I mean there are only four options at DisneyShopping.com too…
Disney Magic Bands | shopDisney

and one of 'em says Annual Passholder so I wonder if only those with verified AP’s can buy it? I know the Disney Visa stuff is that way.

Got it… I think you could very well be correct. But I think if they run out of the old stock, they will have to start making the new stock available, OR they will have to tell hotel guests that they no longer get a “discounted” pre trip magic band order.

1 Like

And two of those options are slap bracelets for children…

1 Like

and the other only 2000 of

I understand, but is there any other area of Disney merch that is so egregiously low in supply… I’m sure all the lightsabers at Savi’s need chips, and the droids, etc.

This is just SOOOO low of supply. They probably DID get pinched, I don’t doubt that, and maybe they are just refusing to sell MagicBand2 online or make them available to hotel guests so the park supply is still full. Anything is possible, but they may have to roll out the new bands sooner rather than later…

2 Likes

I went to FArts in February. They had run out of pins.

I call bullshit on whatever bullshit excuse Disney is peddling for reductions in goods and services. It is a huge corporation with vast resources. Apple somehow managed to launch the iPhone 13 across the world in giant quantities despite the pandemic / global supply issues / that boat that got stuck in the Suez Canal.

But then Apple’s CEO was hired on the back of his skill in logistics. Bob Chapek was hired because … well I don’t know why. Maybe the board were worried the share price was too high.

4 Likes

Hahahahah!!!

1 Like

I know why Disney has finally released Magicband+. It’s because I ordered our MagicBands last week. So that’s it. You’re welcome, everyone!

6 Likes

I didn’t even know magic bands were still a thing…

So. Am I supposed have them for my June trip?

Absolutely, if they don’t run out.

I know, I know; I’m an enabler.