Maelstrom->Frozen Maelstrom's FINAL voyage *IS* Oct 5 - CONFIRMED

Disney’s website lists the final day for Maelstrom is Oct. 5th.

"Set out on a mysterious boat ride through Scandinavian seascapes and swamps inhabited by creatures—both mythological and magical.
Note: The final day for this attraction will be October 5, 2014. "

Boo! :disappointed:

Agree BOOOOOOO!!! HHHIIIISSSSSSS!!

I am saddened to see a permanent display of a Disney movie within the world showcase.

1 Like

Maelstrom definitely needed some work, but turning it into an homage to the film de jour is not what Epcot needs. Five years from now, when Anna and Elsa take a back seat to whichever new Princesses Disney is marketing, people will wonder “what’s that all about?”

2 Likes

Not to mention the fact that Arendelle is NOT Norway; it’s a mythical kingdom with vague overtones of Scandanavia. If anything, it’s Danish…

3 Likes

@bswan26 I like the idea of changing the fishing village to the port of Arendelle.

Question: I’ve never understood the scene where the cottage is burning, but the Viking is standing there watching with the family? Are they burning their own house? Maybe I’m remembering it wrong… Some of the ride seems a little disjointed to me- splashing down into the oil rig. The fishing village is really pretty but that’s where you get off the ride, so can’t see much of it. Ducking

1 Like

Ok so starting October 6th we mexicans will have THE coolest ride in WS? Whooop whoop whoop! See? I told you some day the Mexico pavillion would have the greatest ride in WS!! FPPs now available… :smiley:

5 Likes

We are headed down October 10th so we will miss the chance to ride one last time. It’s going to really suck not being able to ride Maelstrom. Really on the fence about tuis refurb.

Trust Disney @aj25aj25! They’ll give us something to love for a long time! I’m sure they will! Maelstorm was, in my opinion, a fabulous ride and I loved it dearly but it did need a quick botox here and there and it did have little to no plot whatsoever. This will breathe new life into WS! Littleuns had difficulty loving WS, maybe this will give them the reason to. I know it feels like they’re commercializing the cultural aspects of EP but the park does need a bit more Disney characters in it I think. Just a small amount. I, for one, love seeing the chatacters in WS and really hope this will be the right amount of them.

And I think they’ll be updating the attraction again way before Frozen gets moldy, don’t worry @bswan26! We’ll be discussing the replacement attraction on this forum before the kiddos forget A&E! :smile:

1 Like

@quicha, I’d say you are right. Disney very rarely let’s me down. I guess the thing I’m having trouble with is losing the nostalgia of the ride. I’ve never thought of Maelstrom as a great ride, it was just fun reliving it every year. Our kids love Frozen, so I am sure we’ll all end up loving the new look.

I liked Maelstrom, but to me, it seemed like half a ride (and if some of the early leaked plans are to be believed, it IS only half of what was originally planned). I have NO issues with a serious reimagination of the ride, but I don’t like the idea of removing the “authentic” Norwegian cultural aspects and replacing them with a movie spin-off that isn’t even really about Norway.

3 Likes