Luca on Disney+

It seems like we usually have a post for significant new films on Disney+ so I’m starting this one.

My family and I watched Luca over the weekend and we loved it! Such a fun, light-hearted movie that doesn’t get too heavy like many Pixar films tend to do (*cough * Up, Wall-E, Inside Out *cough *). There is lots of humor sprinkled throughout, and we have been quoting it ever since.

Silencio Bruno!

Anyone else see it yet? Can’t believe it’s free with your Disney+ subscription! I feel bad for everyone who worked so hard on it and then it didn’t get a theatrical run.

14 Likes

We were planning to watch it for our family movie night this past Sunday, but then Father’s Day plans got in the way. We will watch it this Sunday. Looking even more forward to it after reading your positive comments.

1 Like

We also watched it this weekend. It was DH’s Father’s Day request. And I have been saying Silencio Bruno! as often as possible!

It was super cute and quite funny at times. I was laughing out loud quite a lot. That said I didn’t think it was particularly unique. In fact it was, to me, Splash + Finding Nemo + Cars.

But I really enjoyed it just the same.

2 Likes

DD16 enjoyed it. DD14 thought it was meh. DD 8 came screaming in tears it was too scary, prompting DD11 to also bail. I never tried to watch it. I got so busy.

2 Likes

This made me laugh:

https://twitter.com/literaryeric/status/1406661844207554564?s=21

19 Likes

Ha.
Cars 1; Cars 3; Monsters, Inc.; MU, and Finding Dory are my favorites. You may have just pegged why!

2 Likes

I liked the premise, but yeah it wasn’t particularly unique. But that’s not a criteria I usually judge a film on. Mostly I am looking for likeable characters #1. I can watch (and rewatch) any movie, no matter how bad the plot, effects, dialogue, etc. if I feel like I’m hanging out with characters that are my friends. (This is why I like Star Wars so much.)

Story and music are my next biggest factors. I really liked the mellow pacing of the story and the journey Luca goes on.

2 Likes

We enjoyed it a lot! I haven’t met a Pixar movie I didn’t like, though. Brave and Onward have to be our favorites, though.

5 Likes

We watched it over the weekend and loved it too. I didn’t see much promotion for it which is too bad since it’s a fun movie.

3 Likes

Agree. Just an observation. We liked it.

Silencio Bruno!

Also, I did not know there were so many saints named after Italian cheeses.

6 Likes

As we were watching Loki on Disney+ two weeks ago, I kept saying that Mobius reminded me of someone. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t place it. I kept asking my husband and the kids if he reminded them of, maybe, Coach Ray - my daughters’ soccer coach. Their team is called the Scarlet Knights and they wear red. That was the closest I could come. I was making some kind of connection.

The same thing happened the second week. I kept trying to figure out who he reminded me of. Were they sure he didn’t remind them of Coach Ray?

Then Sunday, as I was packing, I had Disney+ on my phone so I could listen to old movies. About three minutes into Cars 3 it totally hit me. Realized Mobius reminded me of Lightning McQueen and THEN I got the connection. :rofl::rofl::rofl::laughing::laughing::laughing::rofl::rofl::rofl:

https://img4.looper.com/img/gallery/small-details-you-missed-in-the-new-loki-trailer/owen-wilsons-marvel-ous-debut-as-mobius-m-mobius-1617634937.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/0cqn6ZVNuG0/maxresdefault.jpg

5 Likes

IMDB is your friend in moments like that.

1 Like

Yeah. But I was thinking it was a real life person we knew.
Not, you know, a Car… :grimacing:

2 Likes

Oh. Gotcha.

1 Like

My DD4 and I loved the movie. Very cute! And I agree, it was nice watching a laid back movie without too many explanations for grief to a 4yo.

3 Likes

Ooh, the end of Onward takes me out.
Great movie.

5 Likes

Yeah. That’s a tad emotional.

But sooooooooo good.

I enjoyed that one a lot more than I expected to.

4 Likes

I thought Luca was a great TV movie. My kids have watched it since we had a movie night with it Saturday. Funny parts, okay story— we all enjoyed it.

2 Likes

We watched it too. We all loved it. DS5 keeps saying “what’s wrong with you stupido”. He says it and then falls over laughing as he recalls the movie. We don’t usually let him say that sort of thing, but it is hilarious and we are living in a pandemic so he gets a pass.

7 Likes

In retrospect, Onward’s story line probably shouldn’t have snuck up on me like it did.
But I lost my Dad when I was 11 and my own brother is 7 years older than me, so…

9 Likes