Look, about these Disney princesses

I’m fed up with the trivial nonsense that endlessly gets discussed on these forums, so I’ve decided to take a lead in discussing weightier issues.

How many of these so-called Disney princesses are actual princesses?

As you all know, the former Kate Middleton, wife of Prince William, does not hold the title Princess Kate. She is properly known — and I’m not even making this up — as Princess William. To be an actual princess you have to be the daughter of the monarch, or the daughter of one of her sons (daughters of the monarch, while themselves princesses, don’t bear princesses, obviously).

So how many of the Disney princesses are actual princesses in their own right? Or is the whole thing a scam? Hmm?

4 Likes

By your rules, Merida is definitely a princess. So would be Jasmine. Perhaps Ariel too?

3 Likes

Aurora
Ariel
Jasmine (if the same rules apply to sultan lineages)
Rapunzel
And I believe Snow White was the daughter of a king and queen, wasn’t she?!

Tiana, Belle, and Cinderella all marry princes

Pocahontas and Moana are daughters of chiefs. So I guess they depend on tribal rules.

One other thought: your rules about monarchies…are those universal? Or only specific to the UK. For example, do the same rules apply in Norway, Bhutan, Monaco, Jordan?! Because maybe marrying a prince in those countries does make one a Princess. :woman_shrugging:t2:

And also, I believe in the UK, one could be made a prince or princess by the monarch, right? I do believe neither Prince Charles nor Princess Diana were born to monarchs and yet received the title.

So maybe lighten up a little and just let these women enjoy the dang thing…

5 Likes

Anna and Elsa are proper princesses, although technically Elsa is now queen.

1 Like

Mulan is the only one I can think of that is not a daughter of a monarch and did not marry a prince.

1 Like

Totally forgot Arendelle! But didn’t Elsa abdicate the throne and now Anna is queen?!

4 Likes

Yes! You’re right! I love those movies. I just watched The Making of Frozen II on Disney+. It was fascinating!

Do we know anything about Vanellope’s back story/lineage?

2 Likes

Do you say that because Charles was born before his mum became the Queen?

1 Like

Nope. Ack! Freudian slip. Meant Prince Philip!!

1 Like

Vanellope came into the movie already a princess but there’s nothing in the story line about her parents. Her tile von, points to German royalty.

2 Likes

Definition of a Disney Princess:

From Ralph Breaks the Internet

6 Likes

As the child of a daughter of the sovereign, Charles would not usually have been accorded the title of Prince. However, on 22 October 1948, George VI had issued letters patent granting a royal and princely status to any children of Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh, making Charles a royal prince from birth.

The term Princess Diana was never correct. She was Princess Charles (of Wales).

Prince Phillip was born a prince of Greece and Denmark. He renounced this status prior to marrying Princess Elizabeth, but he was made a British prince by Queen Elizabeth II after she ascended to the throne.

2 Likes

That is the best thing I have ever seen.

2 Likes

Yes. The monarch is the “fount of all honour” and can do what she wants in this regard.

1 Like

I like the making of so much better than the actual movie. I was a little mad about the shameless “remind people to buy frozen merch” sequel but then I watched that series and appreciated the massive creative efforts, corporate overlords aside

1 Like

We are currently watching through “The Crown” on Netflix. So I know all about how it works up through Season 3. I’ll let you know after we watch Season 4 if anything changes. I’m sure I’ll be an expert at monarchy after that. I’ll be expecting a call from Her Majesty soon as her consultant on important matters, including the titles of Disney female lead characters.

6 Likes

I had a dream about you last night.

I dreamt (I’m not making this up) we had both moved to Orlando so that we could go to WDW all the time. But your wife was worried about the cost of you buying a Florida residents AP.

9 Likes

That’s only slightly disturbing! :slight_smile:

Although, we were just talking a couple days ago about how now that my job is 100% remote, I could work while we’re at Disney, making the need to actually come home entirely optional!

5 Likes

This was worth reading through this whole weird thread…

It’s wholly entertaining from where I am sitting.

9 Likes