Locals chime in, WDW/USO ...continuous thread

57 degrees this morning

6 Likes

Over heard in HS yesterday:

Dad: We have to be careful about getting sunburned here b/c we are at sea level and closer to the sun
Kid: Is it different at home?
Dad: At home we are at six thousand feet above sea level and that’s why we don’t burn as easily there.

This is bad math right? :laughing:

4 Likes

It’s exactly the opposite, isn’t it?

2 Likes

With math the way it is these days who freaking knows anymore.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s the opposite. When I lived in NM at 4300’ elevation I burned in 10 min.

math is math… it’s people that are the problem :wink:

3 Likes

I should say, I’m pretty sure but I guess I could be wrong. Thinking mathematically if you are closer to the sun I’d say you be higher up and not lower. Now, being closer to equator is a different thing and would effect the angle of the sun and length of the day.

Google says:
Why is it easier to get a sunburn in the mountains? The answer is that the sun’s rays have less atmosphere to travel through. Research indicates that for every 1,000 feet of elevation gain, the sun’s UV rays intensify by 8-10 percent because of the thinning atmosphere .

and wikipedia says this about the equator and daylight:
At the Equator, the daytime period always lasts about 12 hours , regardless of season. As viewed from the Equator, the Sun always rises and sets vertically, following an apparent path nearly perpendicular to the horizon.

3 Likes

Yeah the people that messed it all up.

2 Likes

Both elevation and distance from the equator are primary factors.

High elevation=easier to sunburn due to less protection from atmosphere (exactly what you posted)

But also, the closer you are to the equator, the more intense the rays are because they are dispersed over a smaller area.

ETA: And the above diagram doesn’t illustrate how the tilt of the earth makes this vary by season as well. It’s the tilt (and impact on dispersion) that makes people more likely to sunburn in the summer, not the hours of sunlight per se.

So yeah, his comment about sea level mixed the 2 different factors in a way that doesn’t make any sense. It’s the latitude, not the sea level, in Florida.

2 Likes

I think this helps understanding the tilt/seasonality aspect a bit, although I don’t think it displays the dispersion principle as clearly.

2 Likes

ooooo, I love the science lesson :partying_face: :partying_face:

2 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

Friday… we ride~!

5 Likes

6 Likes

39 days until my DGGD arrives. Last night my DD texted this, yes I sent Mickey and Minnie Halloween to her

10 Likes

I love this

6 Likes

This is so adorable!!

6 Likes

Is this a typo or am I misunderstanding? Is it your daughter’s granddaughter? :thinking: I’m having a hard time believing that’s possible so I’m leaning toward typo.

3 Likes

Nope, not a typo, I am a Great Grandmother. Carter is 3 and she is very excited about her first visit to FL and WDW. To protect my DD’s honor she did marry an older man w/ two sons and that’s how we became great/grandparents a bit younger than normal :wink: I don’t share my age, but I am told that I do not look as old as I am.

5 Likes

:exploding_head:

Well that is a surprise to me, and I have met you! But with the explanation of the circumstances, that makes sense.

4 Likes

8 Likes