"Liners Running In Disney" - runDisney & Training Support Thread

My DH, DD19 and I are doing the Jan. 5K for the first time! We went during the marathon this year and loved cheering on the runners. DH is a runner, so it was his idea to go back next year and do a race. I’ve always been a fast walker, but have now I’ve added some jogging to my workouts. I’ll probably have many questions! I’m a little nervous since this will be my first race.

3 Likes

This thread might have sold me on the new forum. Nicely done @meetmeathepoly I’m a fast walker and registered for the Dumbo Double Dare, wine and dine half and wdw marathon

Did 3 miles on Sat and 11 on Sunday for one of the double weekends in Dumbo training and feel surprisingly ok today.

3 Likes

The goal in your first race is to finish…I’d jog what you can and fast walk what you can. If you add a minute of running a week to your workout (so, swap a minute of walking for a minute of jogging in week one, in week two do two minutes of jogging, two less of walking, etc.), you’ll be able to run the whole 5k, just for perspective…

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

1 Like

registered for W&D - my first Half! Training is going surprisingly well so far. Excited!

3 Likes

For runners who use fitbit and want to join the fitbit liner group, check out this post. Liners fitbit group

3 Likes

There is also a group on Facebook called Liners Running that is great. We do monthly team mileage challenges and everyone is really supportive. Check it out!

6 Likes

Cool idea! I still want to do this but have done nothing but get more out of shape than anything else. One day I plan on doing some of the Disney races… was hoping this fall but dont think thats happening just yet.

2 Likes

Ok, I’m going to try out the new forums by posting here. Thanks @MeetMeAtThePoly for starting this thread. I am training for the glass slipper in feb. 2nd half marathon. Started running again 3 wks ago. It’s slow going but still have lots of time! What race are you running?

4 Likes

Disney teacher I am a CT runner too!

1 Like

Just signed up for PHM, glass slipper challenge Nd the 5k!!

2 Likes

Ct runner here too! Doing all three races at the PHM

3 Likes

Wowza! All three? That’s awesome!

1 Like

Wow! You go! After running indoor/outdoor track in high school, I have run a handful of races since (in 20+ yrs) and just can’t get into it. I run for the exercise…need to go out early this am as it’s going to be hot!)

1 Like

Just finished my run. Was pondering bringing running stuff to Disney, but I think the walking should suffice? In April, I gained 7 lbs in a week at Disney. Came right off, but I’m not looking for that this time as a souvenir. (We traveled with friends…too much eating and adult beverages probably.)

1 Like

@disneyteachers - Finished mine too - nice work! :smiley: I agree - walking around the parks is good exercise. When I’m in WDW - if I’m not sleeping, I’m usually exploring the resort or touring the parks. I’ve jogged the path around Crescent Lake, but that is about it, when on vacation.

Yep - that’s a great group!

@WeHave2GoBack - yes I did the timed walking breaks with my runner partner during the Tower of Terror 10 Miler a couple of years ago. Worked fine. Congrats on your first full coming up! i’m not going past a half :wink: Can’t wait to hear how your training goes!

Yay Dana! I’m registered for the Wine & Dine Half. Yep it’s slow going for me too! Or so it seems.

I restarted running after a long absence using the “Couch-to-5K” running plan http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml and app ‎Couch to 5K® - Run training on the App Store. It worked quite well and after 9 weeks I was able to complete my first 5K in a reasonable time.

However, I then learned about Chi Running http://www.chirunning.com/, which has made a huge difference - it is focused on developing proper technique so that you run more easily, and, more importantly, injury free. I started off using the app ‎ChiRunning on the App Store, and soon purchased the book and DVD https://nk149.infusionsoft.com/app/storeFront/showProductDetail?productId=33. If you sign up for their newsletter Sign up for newsletter - Powered by Keap you will get a code for 20% off your first purchase through them. NAYY, but IMO this is something that every runner should take a look at.

3 Likes