Limiting Future DVC Resale Use?

Yes, but if that rule was in place I never would have bought WL and I will never buy Riviera. I saying that knowing full well that I had the Poly/Copper Creek choice and we picked Copper Creek because we love it.

1 Like

Yeah. I definitely see your point there, which makes me think the price point for the new DVCs going forward will be vastly different from the existing DVCs. Something about them will need to make them attractive to buyers: Either cheaper price, or much nicer amenities/experience.

Hmm. It just occurred to me that they could, potentially, also make the ability to trade with other properties an “upcharge”. I mean, they do this everywhere else.

Want to see the Fireworks? It is free. Fireworks getting too crowded for you? Well, how about we close off some of the space and you can PAY us to see the FIreworks!

Similarly, you want a DVC? Here you go! But you can’t trade. Want to? Sure! No problem! It’ll just cost you an additional arm and a leg!

I’ll bet there are more points sitting around unused than are being rented.

1 Like

I have wondered about this.

I’ve noticed that somewhat recently (I mean, I can’t recall for how long…only that at some point it wasn’t the case) that you can go to Disney’s website directly and reserve rooms (Studios and 1 Bedrooms, etc) directly at BLT. But, my understanding is that Bay Lake Tower was exclusively DVC. This change makes me think that what Disney is doing is waiting for the ownership windows to allow DVC owners to gain access to those rooms first. But then, opens them up to the general public to rent outside of DVC (but charging a more expensive rate). In this way, un-rented points are still sold by Disney for profit.

When I look at the on-line photos of the rooms, both from Disney’s site, and the DVC rentals, they seem to be the exact same units.

ETA: This isn’t true just for BLT. I’ve noticed the same for pretty much all of the DVC properties.

This seems needlessly complicated (well more complicated as privileges were already being neutered for resale owners).

This just popped up in my notifications on my Dashboard:

Update to Disney Vacation Club Resort Access for Contracts Not Purchased Directly from Disney

Effective January 19, 2019, only Members who purchase directly from Disney will be able to use their Vacation Points at the 14 existing Disney Vacation Club Resorts or future Resorts—such as Disney’s Riviera Resort or Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge. Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into those 14 Resorts.

This change does not apply to contracts purchased prior to January 19, 2019. Contracts gifted to family members will continue to have the same Resort access as before the ownership transfer.

The eligibility rules for Membership Extras and RCI access remain unchanged.

The Buena Vista Trading Company Disclosure Guide has been amended accordingly.

Based on this, I guess they’re trying to entice people to deed at the new place directly (and immediately) instead of trying to cheap out? I guess that means that the points for the new place’s cost will be stupid high?

In every DVC resort there is inventory that is in the DVC owner pool and inventory that is in the WDW pool. If the DVC owners do not fully occupy their room inventory, WDW cannot (and does not) book those rooms as part of its normal reservation process. Similarly, DVC owners cannot use their points to book the WDW pool rooms (unless they book them for cash via the normal reservation process).

It is inventory based on rooms, or points? I mean, let’s say there are 10 1-bedroom villas. Is it that 5 are DVC, 5 are not? (Or whatever ratio they decide.) Or, is it that there would be enough points allocated for up to 5 DVC rooms, but those points could be used instead for Studio rooms or 2 bedrooms? This would then allow them to rent out MORE than 5 1-bedroom studios at the WDW pool? But this would mean that fewer WDW studios are available now, etc.

I think that WDW is trying to increase its percentage of the resale market and its profit per resale transaction. If DVC contracts become less valuable to resale buyers, the price they are willing to pay for them will go down. WDW has right of first refusal, so they can snap up the contracts at a lower rate than before, and then turn around and resell them as “new” contracts at full price.

1 Like

I believe that it is based on rooms - it would be very difficult to administer otherwise.

I also thought they couldn’t move inventory from hotel to DVC pool, but that leaves me scratching my head as to why a friend could not reserve a grand villa for a multi-generational trip until she was within 7 months of arrival.

Sounds slimy. But I thought resale “price” was already dictated by WDW. If, for example, I make an offer too low, WDW will reject and then snap up the property. This keeps the overall value of DVC properties (new and otherwise) higher.

Agreed. I was just wondering if they were subverting the system by doing it based on points instead of actual rooms.

Was she trying for the GV from WDW, or through DVD rental?

direct from Disney

Hmm. That is odd, then. You’re right.

But satisfying. Hakuna matata…

Yes, but that price is initiated by the intent to sell. Say for example, prior to this change being announced, you agree to sell me your DVC contract for $10,000. WDW evaluates this, and decides to apply their ROFR and snap it up. However, post announcement I feel that this contract is now only worth $9,000, and you still agree to sell it. WDW can then snap it up at a $1,000 discount.

Our U.K. free dining comes out in April for the following year. If you book OKW/SSR (not sure about others but those for sure) they don’t actually confirm that you can stay there until 11 months before.

Interesting! Labor Day weekend I booked a free dining bounce back for December 2018. That Labor Day I was in a SSR 1 bedroom in free dining and I wanted another one. They told me to book something else and to call in a few months and see if it was available.

2 Likes