Let's talk about the Contemporary

Ouch! :grin:

That’s not happening because I’m doing Epcot that day, ending with the FEA dessert party.

It will, but I think it’s early DHS, which I don’t plan on doing. I don’t do early. Plus the day is scheduled to be MK because of the nice walk from the Contemporary. If I don’t go to MK, then I lose another reason for staying there.

But that’s a key part of the plan. Lovely breakfast on the balcony, admiring the view.

See later comment.

It would certainly be a one-and-done for me. I couldn’t afford a complete stay there, for example. (How can anyone?)

That sounds complicated, plus . . .

This.

Also, this.

Well, I get up in the middle of the night because my dog wakes me up to pee. So then I have one, too. I don’t suppose that will happen in Orlando, as I’m not bringing my dog. But I don’t always sleep well in hotel beds, so waking up in the middle of the night might happen naturally and it might be fun if it does.

Sticking with the plan as it stands is simplest and I do think staying at the Contemporary will be an “experience”. It’s just a horrifyingly expensive one. But then I’m budgeting almost $500 for my dinner at V&A.

Sorry, I thought the following was implied: “take the food stuff back up to your room and eat your breakfast on said balcony.” In short: be your own room service.

Oh, right. Get you. Except the room service menu looks quite yummy and it’s my last day and all . . .

Also, cancelling the stay and just staying in the house on my last night and getting the Contemporary to look after my luggage on the last day involves a certain amount of stress I’d rather avoid.

Do it do it do it.

Life is so short.

4 Likes

Agree- do it. If its already in your budget… then why not?

1 Like

I absolutely love Contemporary! I would keep the booking if you feel you can afford it! We had a theme park view room for NYE, it was, hands down,the most magical experience we have ever had at Disney! Enjoy! Tomorrow isn’t promised!!

1 Like

I’m starting my 3rd solo trip at the CR in July (Bay Lake View) for 3 nights then moving to BW (Garden View) for 5nights. I’ve dreamed about staying at the CR since 1973 when my parents took me to MK for a day. I stayed at BW during my first solo trip…and while I feel I had the only room without a balcony I can’t wait to go back there…and the convenience to EP and HS is an added benefit.

You do you. My and my SO are gonna go to Victoria and Albert, get the tasting menu with the wine pairings and tip. We know it’s gonna be WAY expensive. For some people, it is an absolute waste of money. For us, it is an experience we really want to do.

I travel a lot and I have since figured out I usually regret not spending money on something (or splurging) more than I regret buying something. I have paid for activities or hotels I don’t want to do/stay at anymore, but most of the time, I don’t regret it.

1 Like

Not sure if you’re still thinking of this, but, considering your cancellation will cost you money, your savings will be less than others here.

We did one night at the Contemporary, just because I always wanted to do it. I have been frugal in all other things in my life and my Disney vacations (not counting the DCL cruise), so I felt I could do one night, even though it was expensive.

I really loved the fireworks (although, I expect they’re better in front of the castle) from my balcony. DH was sick that night, so I knew I wasn’t talking anyone in to going over to the castle. Having the option to see them from the balcony with my kids was just so nice.

The beds were very comfortable. MK was incredibly convenient the next morning. No parking issues, no luggage worries. We just walked over.

If it’s your last day and you were looking for a little extra magic, Contemporary is the way to go. They have a nice pool (not like some, but nice anyway) and you could relax there or just take a monorail ride for fun.

I think you’ll like it. Is it worth it? You could scrutinize your whole plan that way. Each item has value. So, yes, it’s worth it.

1 Like

I think “worth it” is impossible to calculate. At one level nothing on a holiday is “worth” anything, at another level you’re buying memories which are impossible to value. And given any Florida trip from the UK is pretty darn expensive in the first place you must already be over most of that hump!

My suggestion is turn it around and think how you’ll feel the other way. If you wake up last day not at the Contemporary will you be regretting it or thinking how smart you were to save the money and still have a great day? Only you can make that call. The trick is decide and commit - if you do stay you can’t be thinking of the cost and waiting for the magic feeling to arrive and getting grumpy if it goes wrong. I say that to people travelling from the UK quite often, once you’re in you’re in and you should park the cost and get on with it.

For what it’s worth my view is taken from the old Xbox advert. Life is short - play more. If you’ve got the money and the chance why not?

1 Like

I have stayed at the CR several times and my experience in the tower has always been exactly what you wrote you’re imagining :slight_smile: It’s expensive but surely very special. I stayed in 4843 once (club level) and the beds faced the castle and it was wonderful. I’d request an odd-numbered room and high floor and North end?? Enjoy!
Be sure to check out the Room Views page https://touringplans.com/hotel_maps/disneys-contemporary-resort?commit=&filters[accessibility]=any&filters[balcony]=&filters[floors]=upper&filters[lobby_distance]=any&filters[rack_rate]=any&filters[rate_date]=05%2F12%2F2018&filters[sound]=any&filters[transportation_distance]=any&filters[ug]=&filters[view]=289

I say keep your reservation and enjoy it!!!

I mean, life is short, and if your bills are paid and your (or your family) can eat?

Who cares! I mean, we scrimp and save, even though we have a retirement, but my DH finally sees that we need to enjoy things a bit more! So off to WDW we go tonight, staying at a deluxe and planning some very fabulous (and expensive in his mind! Me not so much, but I used to travel a lot in a former life, and we travelled first class for the most part, so I think WDW is cheap) experiences for the week ahead.

My kids are fed, spoiled rotten, and we can pay the bills. So we are going for it!

1 Like

My original post was way back at the beginning of April – so much has changed since then!

But not my Contemporary booking. I’ve kept it. There’s been a struggle over making the best use fo the opportunities it offers. For example, on check-out day I won’t be walking to MK because I’m going to DHS instead – that was the only way I could fit in TSL.

But I am now planning on watching HEA from my room.

Regular readers will know I just cancelled one of my VIP tours, so I’ve made a healthy saving there.

4 Likes

Definitely keep the reservation! It’s only money, you will make more!!

1 Like