Let's Eat! - Third in a series

I’ve already covered the mediocre at best food court at CBR. Today we’ll be looking at our other dining experiences.

We had four sit-downs during the course of our trip. We started at the Biergarten for my birthday on August 8. This was a robust buffet, and I’ve read elsewhere that the BG gets the German food groups right: Sausage, potatoes, and beer. I cannot disagree. I somehow managed to down an entire litre of a fine dark beer, and my wife got loaded on the luscious Riesling. Everything here was fine, and our server brightened appreciably when I told him we were NOT on the dining plan (a common theme throughout our stay.)

Second was on to Chef Mickey’s for my son’s birthday the next day. We had an earlier reservation, and we were there before the PhotoPass photographers…so I wound up missing being in some shots because I had to take them. This seemed to be much higher quality than what I remembered the last time, and I discovered my new favourite Disney dessert - the s’mores tart! My son has some food allergies, and we even got a visit from the chef and a handout detailing what allergens were in what item - all very professional.

Our Third was the Fantasmic! Dinner/Show package at Mama Melrose in HS. Utterly routine - this is an ordinary Italian restaurant, and they got the basics right. Chicken Parm for two in my party, and the Saltimbocca for me. All much better than I was expecting. The package dessert was somewhat lackluster though, and Tiramisu? Meh. But all worth it for the show - easy in later that evening, and primo seats at dead center.

On our last day, we visited with Pooh and Friends at Crystal Palace in TMK. The decor was still as bright and airy as ever, but the food seemed a little run-down. I’d have to categorize this as only ordinary. And unlike the Fab Five at Mickey’s place, Pooh and Co. rather leisurely circled the room, it took quite a while to see them all.

We did a bunch of counter service. I know Pinocchio Village Haus has a mediocre reputation, but for us no visit to Disney is complete without a lunch stop there. For our palates, it didn’t disappoint - and I always like being in the dark, cool interior overlooking the boats at Small World. We also spent a bunch of time hanging around Aloha Isle, including one stop for a second breakfast around 10 am. (don’t judge.). Besides, it has pineapple in it, and I felt a scurvy attack coming on.

EPCOT won best counter service this time. We lunched in Mexico one day, and went nuts with nachos, tacos, churros, and beer. Far and away one of the best meals of the entire trip. And since it was free, we spent a lot of time at Club Cool drinking Coke.

9 Likes

Great report! Morning dole whip is like frozen OJ. And no Jungle Cruise is complete without one.

1 Like

Did they have Photo Pass photographers at Chef Mickey’s past the initial pose with the Chef Mickey statue? That was one of my pet peeves about the the Photo Pass service was that there were no photographers at the character meals.

Great report @TriSec13 thanks

I share your opinions on the buffets that you wrote about. IMO, the only character buffet that is better than mediocre is Tusker House because they have some African and Indian inspired dishes. (Boma is much better but not a character meal)

Dole whip is the frozen nectar of the gods!

I think you mean @TriSec13. I just complained about the Photo Pass.