Legoland Florida in 2021

My boys, 4 and 6, are obsessed with LEGO right now (and DD2 is following in their steps), so thinking about adding a day to our June WDW trip to visit Legoland. Or possibly instead of a 3rd MK day. We may not get back to Orlando again until 2023 and don’t want to miss the “LEGO phase” for them.

Is it reasonable to expect that we can do most of what they offer in 1 day? Especially interested in hearing any recent first-hand experiences. Thanks!

I have only been to Legoland in Carlsbad, CA, but I will tell you my kids (aged 2-9) think it’s the greatest place in the world and would rather go there than Disney. I just looked at the map of the Florida park and it is roughly comparable in size and attractions to the CA version.

We rode almost everything in one day, including a visit to the water park (which seems to be much larger than the FL version), but we did follow up with a visit the next morning to catch a few attractions we missed.

The thing about Legoland is that there aren’t many “not-to-be-missed” attractions, so it’s really more about how much time the parents are willing to suffer through rather than how much time is needed to complete the park. One day, maybe 1.5, is about as much as I (a very loving and devoted parent) could handle! I love my kids, but it’s exhausting - moreso than Disney for various reasons.

1 Like

Thanks for your input.

1 Like

I moved this to the WDW category (from the Non-Disney category) temporarily for exposure. I don’t think as many people look at the Non-Disney category.

1 Like

It’s been several years since we visited Legoland, but we were able to do everything in one day. We did not visit the water park though. Your boys are at great ages to visit.

2 Likes

This has me leaning towards a separate trip, and not tacking it onto the end of an already exhausting trip.

We did two half days the first time, no water park (I think it was being built) - due to the heat.

Last time we did one longer day. Didn’t do everything because we don’t have little kids. I would say two days, unless you buy the front of line pass. 2 days is only something like an extra $20 and good for a week I think.

There are lots of rides and of course most aimed at kids. Some lines are long. Especially the driving school, boating school and the Indiana Jones type ride. Also I think they’ve now added the Ninja ride which is a lot of fun if you can ignore the fact you’ll feel like an idiot! And Mini-land could easily take you over an hour, especially with the Star Wars add-on.

2 Likes

We went a few years back. It’s definitely a one-day park in my opinion and I would recommend buying the front of the line pass.

We went on a day where it ended up raining in the afternoon, and there wasn’t much to do when it’s raining. So if you can be flexible in your day that you go, try to go when the weather is nice.

Also, the LEGO stores often offer a coupon for a BOGO ticket or other discount. There was a coupon in my most recent LEGO catalog. If you aren’t on the LEGO mailing list, but sure to get on it!

1 Like

Ok, so depending on your comfort level, know that Legoland does not require masks. At 5, my son thought it was heaven. At 6, more heaven. This year, he was so excited to go, and they only spent 2 hours there. DH said everything looked run down, they aren’t running the virtual reality ride they loved so much last year, and the no mask thing threw them off big time.

There is def a Legoland window and you don’t want to miss it, but I don’t think you need more than a day unless youre going on a holiday weekend.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your input. It is very helpful.

1 Like

It has been several years since we went there but it was a one day park. We rode all but two rides when a lengthily Florida afternoon downpour ended the day early.

Most attractions are downsized to appeal to kids under the age of 10. DD was 8 or 9 at the time and she loved every minute of it.

1 Like

This is a big concern, thank you.

2 Likes

I also posted a separate thread in non-Disney parks but I’m looking at Legoland in NY with 2.5 and 5.5 year olds. What would you suggest the Legoland window is? Age 5-7? I’m trying to balance that with the Sesame Street window which I think is smaller!

My kids like playing with duplos and legos but aren’t wicked into them in any other areas like the shows or anything. Just curious what it was about Legoland that was Heaven?

2 Likes

Those are good ages, though the 5.5 is better… At 7, my son was excited but ultimately not impressed, and he is OBSESSED with legos. Like that’s the only toy he actually plays with. Ask me how many I’ve stepped on (or don’t!)

I think he liked it because it featured his favorite thing and it’s easier to digest than the enormity of the other parks. The NY one should be nice since it’s new, but I would definitely lean toward Sesame, as I think you have another year for Legoland (Sesame Place or Beaches resorts? We’ve done Beaches for their Sesame Street stuff and my son still loved that at 5.5, though now -7.5- he wouldn’t be caught dead near cookie monster, the little jerk :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

It really depends on your kids. My DS9 is a bit timid on thrill rides, so the rides at Legoland are still his speed (I assume - we haven’t been back during the pandemic, other than a trip to Miniland at Carslbad). But I imagine other 9-year-olds or even thrill-seeking 7-year-olds (like @FOMOm_VA’ DS7) might be bored. Also depends on their interest in legos in particular, as well as the specific characters represented (like Ninjago).

ETA: I saw 12-14 year-olds at Legoland when we were there, and they were quite annoying. The rides aren’t designed for kids that size, and they can be disruptive to the young ones. I would heavily supervise older kids if you bring them along with your family. They will probably get bored and could look for mischief.

3 Likes

Wow I had to google Sesame Beaches and you’ve tempted me! My DS2 would go bonkers for that stuff! This is super, super tempting but I would be curious what remains due to Covid and it says character interactions reduced. We were originally thinking regular Sesame Place.

1 Like

We have been 3x, using off season and last minute deals to make the cost easier to swallow. It’s amazing. We didn’t go this year bkz of the travel restrictions but will definitely be back. And all kids club staff are certified nannies, and your kid will never want to leave kids club, so why not have one more frosty beverage on the beach?

Thank you everyone for the Legoland info. I’m not the OP, but this is helpful.

I’d bought 3-nights at the Hilton Timeshare in Orlando for our original Disney World trip. Plans changed when it was postponed, so I needed somewhere to use the hotel nights. I decided to tack on a visit to Carlsbad, CA at the front of our summer vacation since they have a time share there. I noticed that Legoland was nearby and mentioned it to my family. They went bonkers. DD is 11, and from what I can tell on the high side of age range. But, then we have a Lego Room. DH is even more into Lego than DD.

My thought is that we’ll go as a family on Sunday our first full day. Then I’ll work from the hotel while they go back on Monday.