Leaving "kids" alone in WDW hotel

Thanks everyone! Here in Maryland there is a law and it’s 13 to babysit, 8 to be left alone for a short time. So we were there awhile ago, with the oldest at 14.5. We do leave them alone here and there for a short while, but they’ve so far always been at home when we did so. I think I’d feel comfortable leaving them a few hours with clear instructions and ways to reach us. The last time we were at WDW they were old enough that the older 2 were embarrassed to have the sitter, but it was absolutely needed for the youngest, so I emphasized that she was there for the youngest and gave the older ones a little more autonomy than before. It was fine.

2 Likes

Practice builds confidence and a tool box of practical tools as they edge towards college…

4 Likes

Are you at a hotel with a sit down restaurant? Maybe your date night can be on the same grounds for quick response if needed?

100% agree with this. Plus she’s my 3rd kid and I’m much less uptight as a mom :joy:

3 Likes

I know times have changed. And my kids are too young yet to think about these types of things. But having been a Latchkey kid, I didn’t even stop to consider most of these concerns. I started staying home by myself every day after school (from about 4-5:30) when I was 8. I would do my homework and start dinner.

When my folks brought me and a friend to WDW at the age of 12, they went to play a round of golf and she and I went to a character breakfast at our resort by ourselves and then just hung out.

I agree, though, that every kid is different. The most important thing is to do what will make you as a parent feel comfortable so you can enjoy your time away!!

5 Likes

Can we just discuss Kansas here? 6 year olds??!!

3 Likes

I have a very similar story! I think I was about 12-13. My family went to Blizzard Beach and I didn’t feel well so I took the busy back to our resort (also one of the All Stars). I don’t remember any issues with it and this was before everyone had a cell phone. There would have been no way for me to call my family if I got lost.

ETA: When I was 12 I probably looked 7 or 8.

2 Likes

I also wouldn’t think twice at that age, but I understand that it depends on the kids.

I’m sooo tempted to leave my 11 yo and 9 yo watching a movie for only an hour or so while I have a quiet dinner with DH (staying at the Dolphin/dinner at the Bluezoo)…

2 Likes

Lol every state is different. I think you can still get married at 14 in some states or up until recently :crazy_face: when we lived on military installations each base commander had their own rules about curfews for teens and ages allowed at home alone etc. Once I wrote a thank you note to a new commander for ending all the curfew debate in my house. One time DD and friend came through the gate 10 min past curfew and the only reason they were let go was BC friend’s dad was an SP and the airman at the gate recognized her, that recognition saved Both dads from having to stand before the commander in dress uniforms the next day to answer for their DDs breaking of curfew.

1 Like

I don’t have a specific hotel in mind yet, my trip is very hypothetical at this point. But I LOVE Your idea! Going to do something in the same resort would be great for everyone–we’d be close but still “alone.” Our other 3 trips we did 2 nights out for the parents at a park sans kids, and the 3rd time we went for a 2nd dinner / drinks at The Edison.

2 Likes

I wish we were bringing my daughters friend is so I could leave the 2 of them in the room together! Decided not to b/c I want one last trip just the 2 of us! She stays home by herself but it feels easier b/c she knows all our neighbors. meanwhile I was babysitting when I was 10 and loved it! You’ve made me realize it’s probably fine to go get a cup of coffee in the morning though!

4 Likes

How about going to DS and sending the kids to the movies or bowling? I remember being 8 going to see “The Cat from Outer Space” with my sister who would have been 10 or 11. My parents dropped us off and we waited in line just to find out it was sold out. I remember my sister calling our parents on a pay phone to come back and get us.

2 Likes

I’m glad somebody else remembers Cat from Outer Space! One of my favorites as a child from The Disney Channel. I was so thrilled when I could finally get a DVD of it. :slight_smile: