Last of Harmonious barges in place

Yes this! There is so much manipulation that is done depending on the focal length of the lens. I’m trying really hard to hold off judgement until I’m there in April, but it’s really difficult.

Thanks for posting this! DH and I were just talking about wanting to see the lake from above.

2 Likes

I would like to see a picture from the other side to see if SE is oriented inside the circle.

4 Likes

There isn’t really a center(ish) view from the American pavilion, because of the stage, right? Hard to imagine how they could line up from that end.

2 Likes

oh yeah, you’re probably right. Where is it, Japan where I usually center SE through the red trellis thingy? I’m thinking that it must be lined up in some way with something for an image. If it’s just “off” it would make me twitch. And I can’t imagine it would be something that they would overlook.

2 Likes

It is the iconic photo in Japan with SE in the background that makes me wonder if that is the reason it is off center…to ensure the barges don’t show up in the pictures being taken at the Japan arch.

And, when I draw a line on the picture showing the line of sight, the barges are not in the direct view of SE.

However, that doesn’t fully explain the off-centeredness, because it actually needs to be moved FURTHER away from the Japan line of sight to be a straight on view from the FW side to the American Pavillion.

It just seems like Disney goofed this one up.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/superweeniehtjr/status/1366216934342148098?s=21

21 Likes

:laughing:

2 Likes

That’s hilarious! :slight_smile:

ETA: On second thought, perhaps that orientation of the castle would be more in line with the phrase, “second star to the right and then straight on…”

3 Likes

Is the castle really off center in that picture or is it more forced perspective making us think that? :rofl::exploding_head:

3 Likes

I just think it will move slightly. It is in water and in a barge. I am sure its anchored but they would have to allow to move a little each way to account for rising water levels? Maybe? Idk

1 Like

Tom Bricker posted an image of it from the perspective of Japan in his most recent blog post

He calls it stargate, which isn’t inaccurate.

4 Likes

Lol yeah that is not the first time I have heard the stargate refererce in the past few says. I can totally see that.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting perspective. I’d love to see another picture after the water is turned on.

1 Like

10 months out of the year I imagine that this would be a welcome addition…

6 Likes

Maybe once the water is on and once the show is happening the off center will make sense. Perhaps it is a rule of thirds situation.

I’m sure their lake water is probably cleaner than most, but I’m not sure it’s the best extra flavor for my drink :joy:

3 Likes

Heard on the Dis that they are going to the submerge part the barges? So maybe they are going to drop down at least a little bit.

5 Likes

That would be good! Hope they are right

1 Like

By the way, just in case anyone was hoping the thread title meant there are no more to come out… it’s only the “Star Gate” barges that are complete.

There are two more of the taco-shaped barges to come out into the lagoon.

1 Like

Yeah…realized that shortly after creating the post and then looking at the concept art. Luckily the last 2 tacos wont make too much of a diference visually when looking at it from world showcase since they will be behind the 2 that are already there? The more we talk about it though the more interested I am in the final product…maybe that is the hypnotic work of the stargate hoop! :grimacing:

1 Like