Kids riding without an adult

Are there any rides that would require an adult to ride with a child even if they meet the height requirement? My son is 9 and my daughter is almost 7 - both are very tall for their ages. I trust them to ride without me but I am wondering if Disney has any restrictions.

1 Like

Pretty sure under 7s need to ride with someone of 14 or older. So you would need to ride with the little one.

2 Likes

@Nicky_S is correct–if a child is under 7 years of age they need someone 14 years or older to ride with them. We learned this the hard way and it involved a lot of tears.

2 Likes

Follow up question on this - I have motion sickness and can’t ride some of the rides. Rode SDMT and felt so sick afterwards. For our next trip, I was going to sit it out and my DH is going to ride with DD8 and DD5. Can DD8 and DD5 sit next to each other on SDMT with my husband in the row either in front of them or behind them? Or will DD5 have to sit with DH and DD8 sit with a stranger?

My understanding is the 5 year old has to sit with someone 14 or older so 8 yo would have to go alone. Unless it’s a ride where all 3 of you can squeeze in.

1 Like

This is correct, although it’s not impossible that individual CMs may allow different things.

1 Like

If there is not a single rider line, it’s likely DD8 will just ride alone.

1 Like

Just to clarify, the cutoff is 7 so if she has turned 7 by your trip, she can ride on her own.

Also, this is only applicable on a handful of rides where you can’t fit three in a row, like SDD, RnRC, etc.

1 Like

And I would expect most CM’s to be sympathetic if your DD will have difficulty sitting with a stranger. If that’s the case (my son would literally rather skip a ride than sit with a stranger), and you explain nicely, I would be surprised if they forced a stranger on an 8 year old.

1 Like

I tried this on Dumbo because I didn’t know otherwise and the CM wouldn’t allow it. Made my 6 yr old sit with me and 8 yr old sit alone. They sat together on the Magic Carpets without issue. It may be a matter of a CM letting it go or being a stickler. I imagine they would be more strict on SDMT so I would probably prepare for your DD to sit on her own.

1 Like

I have been able to do this on 7DMT. On our first trip the CMs allowed my then DD7 and DD3 to sit together and I sat directly behind them (same car). I wouldn’t count on being able to do this though. Like others have said, explain your situation nicely and the CMs will figure out a way for everyone to ride in a manner that is comfortable for your family.

FWIW, our kids (DS8 and DD8, twins) were asked at almost every ride how old they were before they were allowed to sit together with DH and I together in a different row. I would expect your DD8 to be asked her age. And, I have heard stories about CMs being total sticklers over this (not judging, just reporting).

We just went in October and I have a 9 year old and 6.75 Year Old. They wouldn’t let them ride together, but then we just had our 6.75 year old say she was 7 going forward and they didn’t question her, they just said OK! Didn’t feel great about having her lie about her age, but she’s so close and other than that our 9 year old would have to ride alone for everything.

1 Like