Kali and EE closing for lengthy refurbs

So sad for those of you missing EE on your trips! I’m relieved it will be open for my upcoming trip though.

I wish this was opposite dates☹️

2 Likes

Gut punch for this lurker and DS9. Sooo disappointed for our Jan2022 trip (rescheduled from Jan2021 and obviously long awaited). DS9’s favorite ride. In fact, in Jan2020 we scored 2 same day FPP+ for FoP after the one we had scheduled at 60+6 days out and DSthen7 peeferred to do EE instead of FoP so we gave up that 3rd FPP+. Now considering shortening our Jan2022 trip because of limited ride options, and probably not really needing 2 AK days. Sigh. LL$ for FoP and KS and no EE. Kinda lessens the magic for us a bit. Maybe now we do one less day at AK, save on hotel and food, no G+ for that day (which I wouldn’t have done with 2 AK days anyway) and then maybe we buy the LL$ to get 2 KS and 2 FoP in (one standby and one LL$)? Total sad trombone. (Sips wine and sighs).

4 Likes

I’m so sorry.

It does seem an odd time to be taking it down for so long. Especially with a lot of people pushing their rescheduled 20/21 trips to 2022.

Saving money is always good, I’m just sorry it was under such circumstances.

2 Likes

I wonder if surge pricing for LL$ will be in effect with such limited options?

2 Likes

And the 50th will still be going on. It isn’t just an Oct 2021 thing. Seems odd to bring down any of the popular rides for so long, especially during a hoopla. I also think they were bat-poo crazy to not get this stuff done during the shutdown.

So, I will never ever ride EE. Ever. That bites.

1 Like

Eh … I can think of at least 1 or 2 things that happened over the past 18 months which were worse.

I am so sorry! What a bummer.

And to you too.

2 Likes

Maybe they’re actually gonna fix the Yeti?!?!

Sike. A CM told me they’d have to take the mountain apart to fix em so I doubt that’s happening in 3 months.

1 Like

Was going to ride Kali first week of November, I guess not now.

Yeah it’s definitely not a yeti fix - at least not in the way that it should happen to restore him to full functionality

What a kick in the nuts that would be to Joe Rohde too if/whenever that would happen

5 Likes

I was thinking about this one recently, and thinking…if they tried to FIX the Yeti, this is true. But, given the advances made in animatronics by Disney lately, I think they could easily REPLACE the Yeti with a completely new (and lightweight) design that wouldn’t require tearing apart the mountain.

I think Disney is happy with people believing that it would be such a major job because, at one point, it would have been. I just don’t think it is still true. But why invest money into the ride to REPLACE the Yeti? There is no real incentive for them to do so.

3 Likes

It would be kind of funny if right after he leaves they immediately fix the Yeti…

2 Likes

And apparently getting your yeti fixed does not involve a kick in the nuts.

4 Likes

ha ha ha

1 Like

I don’t think it would be funny at all

Oh man, that’s gonna be a rough closure.

I’ve heard that the Yeti isn’t actually broken but that after something fell on a guest on another ride in another park they shut him off.

And then put out the rumors they did about having to take the mountain apart to fix him.

No idea if that’s true or not, but it’s a unique perspective!

1 Like

What does this even mean?

1 Like

Sounds like they are saying that on some OTHER ride, they had a case of something (probably related to something moving directly overhead of riders) falling on a rider. So, if you extrapolate the concern, how can they protect riders from some similar event happening with such a massive piece of machinery operating directly over riders without a reasonable fail safe protection in place. (Imagine the Yeti’s arm falling off while the train passes under it, for example.)

Not saying that is even true, but that’s what I’m gathering the rumor is about.

Actually, something happened a couple weeks ago at Cedar Point. On Top Thrill Dragster, a piece of either a train or a sensor on the track that was hit by the train (didn’t read the final determination) flew off and critically injured a woman who was in line. The trouble there is that the line passes directly next to the trains that move over 120 MPH. Whether it re-opens or not, you can bet Cedar Fair is going to modify their queues to prevent such a possibility going forward. Anyhow, point being, I’m sure Six Flags will will now be inspecting Kingda Ka for potentially the same flaw (and, perhaps any park which has a similar coaster design that could lead to the issue).

2 Likes

gotcha