Jurassic World VelociCoaster Opening Summer 2021

I expect mostly the latter - it seems to be a very reliable ride! But also I suspect there is a portion of guests who are too scared to ride. It is an intense roller coaster and there are no shoulder restraints, which is a psychological comfort to many people, even if not necessary.

5 Likes

Maybe roller coaster hesitancy? Let a bunch of others go first and see if they survive? :laughing:

3 Likes

:joy:

The thing about hesitancy is that it is perfectly rational, but there are many layers of testing and protocols before being made available to the public, so by that point no one should be worried.

(Wait, are we talking about roller coasters or something else? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

5 Likes

Exactly! :joy:

2 Likes

Even if I could ride it I donā€™t know that I would want to. Lap bar alone just doesnā€™t seem safe. Add to that a plus size YouTube person did a video and he got to ride but said there were times he felt he was slipping out. He loved it but looked a bit freaked out. I donā€™t care that he rode it again. The thought of feeling like I could slip out is a big nope!

Hubby & I rode this yesterday. Neither of us are large people - Iā€™m 5ā€™3" on a good day & 135 lbs - & I was worried about the lap bar only thing, too. I never felt like I was going to slip out at any time & neither did he. Itā€™s not so much a lap bar as a complete lap locking contraption.

2 Likes

Lap bar only is perfectly safe. Many of the newer coasters, it is becoming the standard.

2 Likes

You say that and I want to believe you, but somewhere deep inside me goes NOOOOOO! :scream: Particularly when I see people with their arms up on it. Gives me the heebie geebies!

Iā€™m happy to not ride it. Iā€™ll watch a YouTube POV video and be happy. I just want everyone else to ride it and stay out of the WWoHP :grin:.

2 Likes

Len talked about it on the Disney Dish podcast today. He said after pulling it down, he felt secure. Then a TM came by and pushed it down and he yelped and then joked that the TM needed to buy him a drink. :joy: In other words, he felt completely secure.

5 Likes

@mathhound. You do not appreciate the moments of uncertainty? :laughing:

6 Likes

Isnā€™t there also a seatbelt as a backup?

Not that I could see from videos I have watched. But how these restraints work these days, if something fails, it wouldnā€™t release. It takes power to release it (barring some type of manual override). Without power, it canā€™t release. And the ride wonā€™t go unless every lap bar is locked and in proper position.

1 Like

Nope. Not at the moment. Have had a year of that plus other stuff. However, love this comic!!! :grin:

1 Like

They are pumping a LOT of people through. Theyā€™ve even got a single rider line going

Image via @Schmoofy on Twitter taken at 11am Wed. 5/12/21

6 Likes

Velocicoaster is listed as ā€œClosedā€ in the app right now. Wonder if that means they arenā€™t actually going to open it up for soft openings every dayā€¦or if it is just temporarily closed.

1 Like

According to the people I follow on Twitter, who go practically every day, it was open earlier this morning. (one of them is there right now)

TMs are telling people it is closed for the day for a technical issue with the trains. (Who knows if that will change later in the afternoon)

3 Likes

Must be that lap bar falling open while upside down?

(I jest! Donā€™t freak out, people!)

Anyhow, thanks for the update.

4 Likes

Iā€™m torn on whether I want to ride this. Iā€™m more excited about the line than the ride.

Too many rollercoasters ā€” Iā€™m thinking of RRR, for example ā€” are simply disorienting and motion-sickness inducing. Sure, speed is exciting. But if you canā€™t take in whatā€™s happening, I donā€™t see the point.

Disney has always avoided this with its rollercoasters. Hagridā€™s avoids it. But VC looks like the whole thing will just be a blur.

Frankly my favourite rollercoaster in Orlando is SDD.

2 Likes

There was a time when I would have thought you crazy but the last couple of trips have left me blacking out on the rides like Hulk and RRR and fighting to not faint so I agree. But Hagrids is better than SDD.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve felt a little motion-sick on Hagridā€™s, though not every time. I felt it on SDD, but only after Iā€™d ridden it three times in a row during an After Hours event.

My main complaint about Hagridā€™s is that Hagridā€™s lips are not synced with his words. I feel like Disney would not have let that pass.

3 Likes