Jurassic World VelociCoaster Opening Summer 2021

Mine is all around my belly. I look like a heavily pregnant thin girl.

2 Likes

A heavily pregnant thin girl with a beard.

Hmm. Maybe my shockingly poor personality isnā€™t the only reason Iā€™m single.

5 Likes

The Velocicoaster has a prolonged inversion where you rely on the restraint fully for a period of time. Without the restraint in that section, you would just fall.

Donā€™t let that scare anyone. These things are designed with multiple failsafe measures. If something breaks, you are trapped inā€¦meaning you donā€™t have to worry about it letting go even if there was a failure!

2 Likes

Many years ago, there was a ride called Shock Wave at Six Flags Great America. It had loops and corkscrews. One time I was on it and during the ride, my shoulder restraint clicked out several slots and wouldnā€™t go back. I was too big to fully fall out, but it was terrifying and I was sliding all over the place. My friend next to me saw it happen and threw his arm across me in an attempt to keep me in place. I never rode it again.

5 Likes

This was closer to what one of my friends experienced at Knottā€™s Berry Farm as well. Iā€™m all for back up security measures.

3 Likes

Given Six Flags had that woman fall to her death in front her children in Dallas on The Texas Giant Iā€™d say be very careful at six flags you hear your lap bar click a couple of times. People have also died at our six flags on the water raft ride when it flipped. No wonder they went bankrupt.

1 Like

Gee.

Canā€™t wait for this thing to open now :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

If you guys need me. Iā€™ll be happily munching my way through Moeā€™s. Waving at you guys as you wiz by.

7 Likes

Yup, thatā€™s the spot! Iā€™ll be there tooā€¦

4 Likes

I was thinking more Moeā€™s, but I like the way you think! I remember you saying it was really good! Canā€™t wait to try it.

2 Likes

Ah yes. My family swears by Moeā€™s southwest grill.

Speaking of Moeā€™s Tavern. We unintentionally entered through there to get some food. We just seated ourselves inside fast food blvd but were supposed to enter the main, and wait to be seated by a TMā€¦oops. They must have been one door man short. :joy:

1 Like

I just looked, the only one I see in NV is at the airport. Weā€™d have to have it coming in or going out. Or! At UOR. But no cheating and trying it before hand, I guess.

Itā€™s nothing fancy, kinda like Chipotle

2 Likes

Geez! Not good! Thatā€™s been my only real negative ride experience at Six Flags, and Iā€™ve been going for about 30 years now. Sounds like I should count myself lucky!

2 Likes

I worked for Six Flags at Ops & later on a Corporate level for years, so maybe Iā€™m just being sensitiveā€¦ However, there is no major theme park that hasnā€™t had a death - including our beloved Disney Parks. Soā€¦ IMHO youā€™re being a bit flippant about these tragedies and implying that Six Flags is some kind of ā€œdeath trapā€.

According to a study published by IAAPA over 90% of theme park deaths are due to a guest either willfully or negligently ignoring or disabling a safety protocol.

I and every other Team / Cast Member / Maintenance working these rides goes through hours of training & certification on each ride weā€™re allowed to operate to ensure guest safety.

The reason for Six Flags bankruptcy was over expansion. They had over 2 BILLION in debt in 2008 because they were buying up every small park across the US and some in Europe then slapping the Six Flags logo on them. It had nothing to do with ride safety.

Any time one of these tragedies occur it is a blow to everyone who works / has worked in the industry because safety is programmed into us as are #1 responsibility. (even more than guest satisfaction)

Sorry, if I sound aggressiveā€¦ Iā€™m not trying to be. Iā€™ve spent decades fighting the myth that rides are dangerous and that Six Flags is ā€œrun by kids / teens that donā€™t care or arenā€™t properly trainedā€

7 Likes

Hi! I still go to Six Flags and yes Disney has had deaths too that were proven not their fault such as Mission Space. However the death on the Texas Giant was an employee who did not perform their due diligence by forcing the mom off the ride when her lap bar did not click And the white water rapids ride was also not a person with a bad heart but people being drowned by the flipping of a raft and belted into place. Schlitterbahn which I love as a park for their old school free spirit of you will get bruised and scratched but hey itā€™s fun also allowed that child to get beheaded because of their ride safety negligence and they lost a significant portion of their parks to Cedar Point because of it. So I still take the risks but there are definitely incidences of major theme park companies like Six Flags and Schlitterbahn where they are in fact at fault for a death.

1 Like

I do agree that Six Flags is nowhere near ā€œClass Action Parkā€ but I probably would have gone there too ;-). But there is still risk minimal as it is. And itā€™s not a bad thing to be aware that you can call fall out of a ride and to make sure you know that your lap bar needs to click and lock in place to protect you. The Texas Giant btw does not invert you and I have ridden it dozens of times as have so many others completely safely. But that one employee that one day not caring that the womanā€™s lap bar was not secure cost a life and it was that employees and Six Flagsā€™ fault.

1 Like

I guess my issue was the phrasingā€¦

I still take a lot of pride in my time with SF. It was the best job Iā€™ve ever had & had intending on it being my life long career until the financial collapse of 2008 when I and all my friends were laid offā€¦

Iā€™m not try to ā€œtrollā€ you or anything, I promise! :grinning:

These are heavy industrial machines that do amazing things. Like all companies that use major heavy equipment, be it at a theme park or steel plant, deaths / injuries occur.

Iā€™ve really enjoyed getting to know you on these forums, so I donā€™t want this to be some kind of ā€œinternet fightā€ :grinning:

5 Likes

No way. I like you too and love all your input! 100% friends. Iā€™m sorry my statement offended about them going bankrupt; I didnā€™t mean it personally and I enjoy Six Flags thought not as much as Disney. The most recent deaths Iā€™m aware of at Six Flags and Disney are not equivalent in who is to blame. I honestly am not informed on past deaths at Disney besides the two at Mission:Space so they may have blame in the past. I went to Six Flags Over Texas shortly after that woman died and they were redoing the Giant in order to make it safer but I have ridden it before and since and will again and will keep going to Six Flags. It is fun and safe. :-).

Edit: Iā€™m also sorry about your job there. I hope one door closed and another opened?

5 Likes

Thanks! I really appreciate it. (Even as a SF guyā€¦ I like Disney better too)

Sadly, they have had a few cases of accidental death at Disney over the years - including one on the Matterhorn where a lap restraint wasnā€™t properly secured. (1984)

A guy got crushed by Peter Panā€™s Flight (2006), another died on BTMRR due to improper maintenance (2003) & a 5 year had his foot ripped off there too (1998)

(Thereā€™s more, but itā€™s too depressing & a lot of employee deaths unfortunately)

Thanks for being cool & understanding that I wasnā€™t trying to be a douche or anything!

Sadly, I never was able to get back into the Entertainment / Tourism industry. (These days though thatā€™s probably a blessing! So many people have lost jobs during the pandemic) I did find work, where Iā€™m still employed for almost 13 years, as an office manager. Itā€™s not my passion and kinda dull, but itā€™s a good company & has put food on the table / roof over my head & etcā€¦ Iā€™m very grateful for it.

6 Likes