January Weather

Okay - for those have you that have been in January in the past…what has been your experience with weather?

I know it can be so up and down. Just curious as to what you’ve experienced while you were there.

Not sure if I need to be buying up some new summer clothes that will actually fit my kiddies in 6 months or if we are more likely to be in jeans and tees.

If anyone can shed some light that would be great :smiley:

We’ve been Jan. 7-15 in 2014 and 2015. I can’t stress enough that you should be prepared for warm and cold! Definitely check the Orlando forecast right before you go (I know that makes it hard to pack ahead of time). Generally, the temps are chilly in the morning (40’s-50’s), warm up during the day (70’s, maybe 80’s), then get chilly again in the evening. However, this year we had a morning of cold (30 degrees, with a wind chill in the 20s!!) and we were glad we had our mittens! I usually take mostly jeans and capris, and a few pairs of shorts. My DH likes the cool, so he tends to wear shorts more. You will likely need layers. We mostly wear short sleeve shirts, with sweatshirts or jackets. (Some mornings I wore a sweatshirt and a jacket😄) Then you can shed as you get warmer, and put back on when you get cold again. We saw several people who had no idea that it could get cold in FL. They were in the gift shop buying more clothes.

I hope you enjoy your day your trip. We really love going in January.

2 Likes

Thank you - that’s very helpful. In general my kids hate being out in the sweltering heat which is why we thought January would be a good idea. I like the idea of wearing jeans and being comfortable over the thought of wearing shorts and tanks and being stifling. I’m just hoping that it’s not very cold. I picked up some really light down filled coats that squish into a tiny bag as I figured we might need something like that.

Do you find that there are a lot of refurbishments to deal with in January?

1 Like

The refurbishment that affected us the most was Splash. It’s my DD20’s favorite ride, and we missed it two years in a row. I can’t remember anything else big that was closed. What are your dates?

My dates are January 22 - 28th :slight_smile: Toooooo far away!

2 Likes

A few years ago, we went Jan 2-12. The first day was bitterly cold. The kids cried to go back to the resort. It was really miserable. I know that’s rare, though. The next few days were similar. However, by the end of the trip, we were swimming and left with a sunburn. :smile:

1 Like

We’ve gone the 3rd or 4th week of January for a few years, and will again for 2016 (17th - 25th).
I usually wear capris or pants, DH always wears shorts, DD9 likes to dress like it’s summer all the time. Layers are key. This past year was quite pleasant but 2014 was particularly windy. Epcot was so brisk one day I wrapped my head up to keep my ears from freezing off!
If you check out my avatar, it’s a pic from this past trip. Long sleeve shirt, puffer vest.
The best thing about January is no humidity, no bugs, you’re never sweating or dying of thirst. We love it.

2 Likes

I totally agree. In my mind I’d MUCH rather be in nice cool and comfortable weather than trying to navigate those parks in the scorching heat. I will definitely keep my eye on the forecast before we go, but from what I’m hearing it sounds like I don’t need to worry about ensuring that everyone has a full summer wardrobe that fits…

1 Like

We did a day trip to Epcot at the end of January one year… I wore jeans, light sweater and flops… Mid day sweater came off… It was perfect. We still talk about the weather that day years later :slight_smile: (I know dorks!) jut watch the weather a week before an make sure there are no cold fronts or anything coming in and you will be fine! Enjoy enjoy!!

2 Likes

Same experience. Went the very last days of January and wore shorts and t-shirts every single day. Also, however, carried a light jacket with me every single day for the mornings and evenings. Don’t remember ever feeling truly hot or truly cold which is awesome! Be careful, though, I left my jacket on more than one ride because you are so comfortable you forget you have one!!

2 Likes