January Crowds - WHY?!

Our family has been going to Disney in January over the past few years. Our first year was amazing–very low crowds, great weather, etc. But, the past two years have been dreadful. Each year, the week we select (the 4th week of the month, after MLK week) has been mobbed. I think it may have something to do with Pro Bowl weekend, but I’m not 100% sure. This week, we decided to move our dates by a week, hoping the crowds would be less. We’re planning on 1/29-2/3, which is listed as the second least crowded week of the year on many crowd sites. I just logged into Touring Plans today and it says Saturday, February 2 is expected to hit a level 10 at Animal Kingdom. I’m sorry, but is it Christmas?!

Can anyone explain to me why the crowds are so heavy lately? Am I missing something? Perhaps the days of low crowd levels are a thing of the past…

Thanks in advance!

I’m not sure. I do think it’s unlikely to be Pro-Bowl related, as that takes place in Hawaii. Is it Pop Warner, maybe?

The Pro Bowl has been held in Orlando since 2017. 2019 is the last year of a three-year deal.

Nope, Pop Warner is in early December.

1 Like

February 2nd is groundhog day, and as you know if the guests see their shadows the rides stay open till closing.

7 Likes

OK, that was good :joy:

Good catch, I didn’t know that. It’s in late January, so maybe that’s it?

That’s Brazilian season.