It's almost here! My 1 day holiday and Harry Potter adventure

Ok so I am just over 1 week away from my whirlwind day. I’ve studied maps, poured over menus, checked show schedules, watched videos, etc and I feel fairly prepared for the day. I’d love to get some expert opinions as I really don’t have a frame of reference for the size of the parks. I also don’t really know about timing for walking between parks or waiting for the Hogwarts Express.

Main goals in IOA are wander Suessland, see the Grinchmas Spectacular, eat green eggs and ham, check out HP world shops, dining, and see the Frog Choir and TriWizard Rally.

Main goals in USF is wander Springfield, get a Duff beer or giant pink donut, check out all the HP shops and dining, watch Celestina Warbeck and the Tales of Beedle the bard, watch the Macy’s parade at 530, and check out the Tribute Store.

Writing this all out seems like a TON of stuff to do in 1 day. Is it possible? Is it too much or too little to fill a day? Is there anything not on my list I would regret missing? I don’t know if we’ll make rope drop and we don’t have early entry either. I was thinking about starting in USF since it doesn’t open early, but when should we head to IOA and still have a chance to get back plenty early for the parade in USF? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

12 Likes

I think you could walk from one station to the other at a leisurely pace in less than half an hour.

I think the actual amount of stuff you want to do is fine, but what I don’t know about and whether you can schedule it all in around each show time.
I’ve never deliberately went to a show using the schedule. It’s usually been background entertainment for us, so hopefully someone more experienced with the shows can help you with that.

If you want to do HE, I’d check the predicted wait times and aim to ride before it gets too long.
If going this direction be sure to watch out for people magically going through the wall onto the platform :smiley:

4 Likes

Depending on the show times, it might be hard to work them all in like @Shmebulock mentioned. I would recommend picking one from each HP land that’s higher priority than the other, just to be safe. That way if you find yourself behind schedule you already have a plan of what to cut/adjust. The fair style games in Springfield are fun and have great prizes if you’re a Simpsons fan! Also are they doing the Christmas lights/fireworks on Hogwarts castle? If so and you can fit them in, the projections on the castle are kind of neat. But if it doesn’t work out it’s not the end of the world to miss

4 Likes

Sounds great :star_struck: Can’t wait to hear all about it!

I would just browse through the app, especially the holiday section to see if there is anything else you may be interested in.

3 Likes

So the good thing about the shows in each HP land is that you can see both shows in 1 hour if you time it correctly. Most showtimes are on the hour for 1 show and 1/2 hour for the other. So I’m basically allotting 1 hour for shows per land plus 1 hour for food per land, plus additional for wand stuff and ahopping.

The HE is the big ? for the day. Is there any other way besides taking it or exiting the main park and going in the main entrance of the other to get between the parks?

3 Likes

Fair style games you say? Might have to brush up on my tossing skills for that.

I did see a clip of the castle projections, but they didn’t look so impressive to me. It’s back in IOA too and I didn’t figure we’d get back over there after the parade.

3 Likes

I am unimpressed with their app. I wish the maps were as granular as WDWs maps.

I’ve played around with it quite a bit and I think we’re hitting most of the holiday stuff. Aside from this Earl the Squirrel stuff the last thing I need is something else cute to get obsessive over and buy all the merch for.

7 Likes

Nope, these are the only ways. Unless the wait is under 20-30 minutes, I would say it’s probably faster to walk between the parks. I love the HE rides though (each way is different!), so part of the draw for me is getting to experience them rather than them just being a form of transportation. So I might wait a little longer than is truly “faster” if it were me, but I know others feel differently

3 Likes

I haven’t seen the Christmas ones, only the regular and Dark Arts/Halloween ones, so I can’t speak to them specifically. I also don’t know what level Potterhead you are. I’m huge, so wanted to do every HP thing available :joy:

1 Like

There are also some in Marvel island and Jurassic Park in IOA, but I think those have more generic prizes iirc

1 Like

Generally no.

There is a walkway that gets opened up if the HE is down for refurb.
I feel like maybe I’ve heard that it opens up for other reasons, but I could be making that up.
I would definitely not count on that being an option.

3 Likes

Let me look into the HE wait predictions. Are you visiting UOR next Sunday?

2 Likes

I hate their app, and their website! Only time I’ve ever used a TA was planning our visit after DD31’s wedding last year.

The Christmas show on the castle is cool if you enjoy projections. Not a big must do IMHO.

3 Likes

I’ve seen all the movies multiple times, but haven’t read the books so I’d say I’m knowledgeable, but not a super fan.

2 Likes

Next Monday, 11/28. Thanks!

2 Likes

Ugh so maybe we should make the trek back over there.

1 Like

No it’s NOT a must do :wink: it’s cool if you have time and are in the area but I wouldn’t give up other things for it.

2 Likes

Oh I love the Christmas projections on the castle, and was about to add that in

honestly my family prefers it to Disney’s.

1 Like

I wasn’t a fan of the movies- so when my son asked to go I was kinda meh…and was really unhappy he wanted to spend a day there on our DVC Welcome Home Trip.

But actually seeing the theming I fell in love…The drive home to Nashville I started the audiobooks.

The books are so much better

4 Likes

Oh wow nice, low crowds are predicted :crossed_fingers:

If you’re not sure if you can make rope drop at USF, maybe just start at IOA? You’re not racing to the thrill rides anyway right? Also, why don’t you just stay at USF after the parade so you can watch the Cinematic Celebration at dark. That’s more entertaining and longer than the castle light show at IOA.

Or would that not work with your plans?

IOA 9:30? to 1:30
USF 2:00 to 7:30

2 Likes