Is your first time always the best? Does it ever get any better?

I was discussing a friend’s upcoming trip to WDW and the conversation led me to remember my first trip, way back in August 2017. Damn that trip was magical.

Will it ever be that good again? I don’t mean because of COVID. I mean because of how mind-blowing and all-encompassing your first trip is.

Having done five trips in three years, I suddenly wonder if I’ve overdone it. Maybe this forced hiatus is good for me.

4 Likes

My first trip was horrible - no magic, just heat, whining kids, and, heat. And simple rides in the dark with annoying music.

Took 5 years to feel like returning. Oh, look! A mountain, with a rolley coaster in the dark.

4 Likes

I’ve experienced this with other vacation destinations, where the subsequent return trips are not as memorable or magical as the first. But, Disney just seems to get better and better (at least, that’s how I was feeling pre-COVID. We have a Dec trip planned, and I’m not expecting it to be the same, but it’s still Disney).

They do such a good job continuing to innovate and offer new experiences. I though Wishes was good, but then they came out with HEA. I thought HEA was good, but then I experienced MNSSHP and Boo to You, which became my new favorite thing. This year, we were supposed to be doing MVMCP for the first time, but that’ll have to wait. One day I dream of doing the ultimate thrills tour and the behind the seeds tour (or a plaid tour or club level if I win the lotto). There always seems to be new experiences to try and new things to explore.

5 Likes

Our first trip was about 4 years ago, and we were unprepared.

We stayed at AOA in the Nemo suite for 6 days and 5 nights.
We knew nothing about FP’s,It was in June or July, it was super hot and packed!
And I was trying so hard to jamb everything into the 5 day trip.
My son was 4 and was begging to go back to the hotel room half the time…hahaha
We had a good time, but it wasnt great.

We went once or twice since then for a birthday treat, but only for one day.

We had UOR pass holders, and same with BG/SW multiple years in a row.
This past year we decided to get AP’s for Disney.
This is the reason I signed up for touringplans.

Since then we have had so many trips between January and Covid.
We were going every weekend, and it kept getting better and better.
ROTR and some HS rides in the morning, then park hop over to Epcot for food and drinks, soaring and maybe test track, park hop back to HS trying to catch FP drops on the Skyliner.
It was epic… We could not get enough.

Now with Covid, it really has stolen a lot of the fun. The masks are too much in this heat, no park hopping, cant go on a whim because of reservation system…

1 Like

I made the horrible mistake of finding this website before my first trip. Needless to say I planned it like a military operation. Of course, I’ve changed since then. I take the planning much more seriously now.

14 Likes

Then your doing it right :smile:

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say so.
Basing my answer on all trips pre-covid, our trips have all generally got better.
Familiarity with the parks, knowing more what we like and can pass on and older kids with more stamina make for a much better trip.
Of course there are wow moments that you can’t recreate. For example, the first time I rode EE I didn’t know it went backwards and it was so thrilling. I still wouldn’t miss riding it several times a trip though.
Plus there’s always something new to look forward to.

3 Likes

I loved our first trip to WDW in 2004 with all three kids! I got very ill on Christmas Eve, so that kind of messed things up, and I missed things I really wanted to do. Other than that, we all look back at that trip with very fond memories.

However, my second trip with just DH and Aneira In 2017 was so long in coming that it was just so exciting to be there. It was just as magical!

Even our last one in 2018 at Christmas was exciting.

I think that each trip is just as noteworthy as the others, and when I become bored with going, I’ll stop.

Our trip coming up is something that wasn’t planned, but we’ve missed our usual festivals, Highland Games, and Comic Cons, so we need something to go to.

2 Likes

I think my first Unofficial Guide was 2005. I can’t recall when I started using this website. Sometime in the last 10 years.

We did have Disney planning magazines. Then Disney planning Vhs tapes. Then the planning DVDs.

Trips have definitely always been different.

1 Like

OK I have to respond on principle to the title of this thread:

TWSS.

Carry on.

6 Likes

It was careless of me to have posted such an unfortunately-titled thread. Whoops.

4 Likes

Leave it to @OBNurseNH!!! I didn’t even notice that.

1 Like

I think it gets better every time. But we have big gaps between our trips, I don’t know if I would feel the same if we went more regularly.

1 Like

My first thought :joy:

1 Like

Great minds and all :blush::blush:

1 Like

My first trip was when I was 10 and it was definitely magical in a different way than now as an adult. My first adult trip with my husband was amazing - we were young and childless and able to do whatever we wanted. There’s something really special now about watching my kids at Disney, though (even if the trips are much more challenging).

3 Likes

This is a huge part of what makes subsequent trips better for me. On the first couple trips, I felt like I had to try everything. Now I know the things that I feel are overhyped and I can skip. That makes it a bit less stressful. If I were fortunate to go more often than once every 5 years, that would be even better. Then I would not feel compelled to get on the so-so rides every trip as well. But, because I go so infrequently, I do still tear up every time I see the castle because it’s partially like it’s the first time all over again, but also partially like returning to an old friend. :heart:

5 Likes

My first trip was when I was a small child, less than 10… maybe like 6 or 7? I don’t think I was old enough, and my parents waited a while before bringing us again. Since then, every trip gets better and better. Now as an adult at 34, I can pick and choose what to do, and I add new experiences every time, try new restaurants, etc. As an adult, we go about every 2 years. I would love to go more often though, but it’s just not in the budget yet.

1 Like

Yes this. I’m glad I’m not the only one. But @sanstitre_has_left_the_building probably did it on purpose. He’s very good at the click bait

2 Likes

Ummmm :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I don’t believe you. And I can’t read anybody’s responses seriously because of the title call me immature I don’t care

1 Like