Is Uber/Lyft really that easy?

We will be in the World in December, staying at AKL, then jumping over to Universal, then back to Port Orleans French Quarter. It’s just my husband and me (YAYYY first time couples trip ever— and we’ve been together 27 years!!). We would need a late night uber/lyft after a Christmas party right in the middle of the trip, transferring from AKL to Sapphire Falls Universal. Do I need to rent a car at least for the universal portion? Or would we REALLY be able to get a ride at 1AM?

3 Likes

I would rent a car staying at AKL. It may end up being more expensive, but it’s a lot more convenient

2 Likes

Personally, I have never had any trouble getting a Lyft / Uber at any time or place. You may have to wait 10-15 minutes, but late nights are usually easier than busy times (park close).

7 Likes

It should not be any issue getting an Uber/Lyft at that time.

I have never had an issue with buses/Uber/Lyft at AKL.

3 Likes

November 2021, My daughter and I were staying in Universal and went to the Disney Christmas Party. Took Lyft both ways. 1 am was no problem.

2 Likes

Thanks!! I am thinking it will be easy since it’s just two of us. I’ll track rental prices too bc we do like to have our own car, but this far out the prices are pretty high… Good to know late night may work out tho as well!

1 Like

When @JuliaMc isn’t driving me around, and when the Skyliner isn’t an option, I always use Uber / Lyft. Well, usually Lyft as it’s generally cheaper. If I don’t like the price, or it’s an expensive trip, I’ll check Uber, too.

4 Likes

Uber and Lyft are both super easy to use. I’ve used in cities all over the US. No problems.

3 Likes

DH and I took a solo trip in December and we went back and forth between renting because we also really like having our own car! But we wanted to do some extra drinking and needed to split up a couple of times so we tried all Lyft. It worked totally fine!

We did “wait and save” a few times when we weren’t in a rush and at busy times at night we monitored availability and prices. After Harmonious we walked to Abracadabar and waited for the prices to go down and that was kind of fun an spontaneous made entirely possible by our lack of kids!

This all being said, I calculated at the end and I think price wise it would have been very, very close to whatever I had been quoted for a rental car. And this took into account parking since we were off-site as well as Lyft rides we would have taken anyway on top of having the car. So something to ponder!

2 Likes

This is obviously a personal preference, but I would still go with Lyft, even if it were more expensive, because then you don’t have the stress of driving yourself or paying tolls or flat tires or crashes. It’s nice to let go of all that for a week or two.

6 Likes

Especially for those of us who are used to driving on the correct side of the road.

2 Likes

I can imagine.

7 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

We had issues getting Lyft/Uber on 2 separate occasions–but both were at park close Both times, we had to wait close to an hour for an available ride (once from contemporary and once at GF) shortly after fireworks. BUT, those were the only 2 times I’ve ever had an issue with finding a ride in any city although surge pricing has made me wait to find a ride more than once. You should be fine after the party tho.

3 Likes

I had an issue getting a Lyft from AK one night. It was maybe an hour before close, in February of 2021, so there were not big crowds, but also maybe were less Lyft/Uber drivers? Also, it was a torrential downpour when we were trying to leave. We did eventually get one, but waiting 30 mins in the rain was not fun.

Yes, I do believe it was a shortage of drivers. Recall that from re-opening in july 2020 through a decent part of early 2021 uber/lyft was struggling on the whole and rideshare was a huge challenge overall at WDW during that time. I was there in April 2021 and it was excruciatingly difficult to get a ride, and long waits were the norm.

2 Likes

My Lyft tip…if it’s the middle of the day, and your getting it at DHS so you can go to DS…be at the stop or a minute out before ordering :rofl: There was one almost instantly available and we had to run as you only have 5 mins to meet them and the Lyft stop is a bit away from park exit. We tipped extra for making him wait.

3 Likes