Is this considered rude?

When you use the DDP, there are two receipts, one that shows the cost of the meal if you were paying OOP and one to show your DDP credits were applied which sums zero. I find CMs are labeled " rude" when guests don’t like the message. A high number of all guests on the DDP, regardless of nationality do not tip on the DDP and people who were intending not to tip ahead of time take it personally but they indeed tell most everyone.

1 Like

You’re right, I didn’t like being told “Make sure you leave me a tip”. In those exact words, and yes it was rude. She then proceeded not to wait on us at all until we asked for the bill. Thanks for implying that I was ‘intending not to tip ahead of time’ because I didn’t like being spoken to like that.

4 Likes

Honestly, anyone who signs up for DDP is told that gratuities are not included…it’s explained very well imho. I think those who tip, would do so regardless of being OOP or DDP (the receipts are quite clear when they arrive at the table if you are on DDP - you know exactly how much the bill is). Those who choose not to tip, are making that choice consciously and know what they are doing.
I do think it’s rude for a server to make direct comments about getting a tip to the dining guests, and even more so to do that before service has even begun. When the server came to the table with the check, she could have easily said something like, “if you have any questions about your bill, DDP and or gratuity when using DDP, I’d be happy to explain how everything works”. You know, subtle but not rude. Good service for me is more than just bringing my food to the table in a timely manner. How you engage with me before, during and after my meal often means more to me than the fact that you brought me the right plate of food. Customer service based industries seem to have forgotten how important it is to provide a service that results in an exceptional experience for the person they are serving. Being respectful and considerate goes a long way in creating a positive experience and to me, the server who did this to @missoverexcited missed the mark horribly.

6 Likes

Trust me this is not a Brit thing it’s universal! :wink:

6 Likes

I’m not sure that patronising me is going to make me more likely to agree that the US system of tipping is other than ridiculous.

2 Likes

I am not sure that this is true at WDW, particularly for people on a DP, who are rather a captive audience.

Sure, people can use QS an that can haul their own luggage.

1 Like

I believe your stance on tipping is ridiculous.

1 Like

The servers are doing what their supervisors require them to do since when that servers’ customers do not tip because they don’t like the custom or don’t understand, it hurts all their co- workers.

Hypothetical question. What do you think might possibly happen if every visitor to WDW decided not to tip for one day a week then 2 days, then 3 days etc ad infinitum? Perhaps, maybe, possibly Disney might be forced to pay their staff a living wage?
Also, Disney employees have it in their power to take action, protest or engage with a Trade Union, don’t they? Self determination?
Following your stance through to its logical conclusion, Disney employees could choose to work elsewhere and find employers that offer better terms of employment. I think rather, that by ‘attacking’ the consumer your focus is on the wrong ‘enemy’.
I have always tipped generously and have done so willingly and happily and if you read @profmatt’s recent trip reports you will note that he was also a generous tipper. However your ‘entitlement’ arguments are actually making me reconsider whether I will tip, as a matter of course, during my next visit. I think that by shooting the rabbit, rather than the wolf, you are shooting all Disney employees in the foot.

3 Likes

I don’t ever see Disney thinking they have to do anything different than the rest of the state/country. Servers minimum is lower than other jobs. It is expected that will have tip income.

2 Likes

Not to argue but, if that were the case, wouldn’t every person on DDP be “reminded” that they need to tip? I never had that happen while we were there.

2 Likes

Really? I have only bought the DP a few times but I was reminded in every single restaurant .

3 Likes

I only had it the only time I mentioned, no other server said anything about tipping at all.

1 Like

On the deluxe plan servers made a pretty big deal about it.

1 Like

You should check out the news on this.

3 Likes

Well said, @OB. If only striking were that simple, easy. Back in 80s my utility union was on a 5 months strike. I’ll just say it wasn’t pretty and leave it at that.

In the U.S. tipping is the way servers earn a living. It’s just the way it is. Not about to change at Disney or anywhere else in the country.

2 Likes

Maybe I am forgetting how lucky we are in the UK.

I am from South Wales and was an adult when Margaret Thatcher destroyed the coal mines. I lived through the miners strikes and witnessed hardship and extreme brutality on the picket lines both in South Wales and Nottingham, so I understand the implications of a strike. My argument isn’t that Disney employees should strike but that rather than blame tourists for their poor working conditions/lack of living wage and expect those tourist to top up their wages , they should consider what other options are available to them and focus their anger on their employers, the government etc.
I always tip but by doing so am I perpetuating unfair behavior by U.S. employers?
I am really sorry that Disney staff feel so defeated and powerless.

This turned into a rather drama filled post, but why not jump in and add my two cents! We order what we want at the time and sometimes that’s a full meal and sometimes it’s a appetizer and dessert. Often times, DS and I split because neither of us are big eaters and with the prices at Disney, it’s tough to see food go to waste. We tip a little over if we are taking up a high value spot (like La Hacienda during Illuminations) but not at other locations (such as we often go to Le Cellier for poutine and cheese soup, we don’t tip above because we didn’t order the filet!).

It is possible to dislike the tipping system (which I do) and still follow along with the customary 20% tip (which I do). It is also possible to have a bad customer service experience with the wait staff at Disney (hello waitress who showed up at our table to take our order, drop the food off, never checked on us so DH never got a refill during his entire meal so he didn’t eat most of it as he was horribly thirsty and just dropped off a check). It’s not unheard of and I think there are tactful ways to remind folks on the DDP that tip is not included without being rude - I like this group of folks on forum and choose to believe their account of what occurred.

I have a hard time with some of the tipping I do…but I always do it. We get to the resort and tip the DME driver if we have bags. Then call for our Garden Grocer order and tip the bellman when he brings it. Then I inevitably call for additional blankets (because they don’t have them in the room anymore!) and I tip the person who brought that. And I always have my tip envelopes for mousekeeping. I was actually thrilled when the Minnie Van service was launched and they said that no tip was required…but that changed within the first few months. But I use all of these things and I tip accordingly. Because in general these are hardworking folks who are stuck in a system in the US that is less than ideal and it’s the same as moving a mountain to change it.

8 Likes