Is the magic fading?

It feels like there’s been a lot of bad news about WDW recently. (Perhaps I should stop using the Lines app?) Frequent ride closures, cast members being ripped off, parking charge increase (well above inflation), Minnie van increase (25% hike), charging hotel guests for parking …

Is the magic fading?

1 Like

Yes.
:frowning:

2 Likes

I don’t think the magic of being there is fading as such, it’s still exciting and fun and special.

I think it has changed in terms of customer service and what you’re getting for your money.

No, it’s not fading, it just changes and evolves, like everything in life. There are always waves of disgruntled people, especially among fans. If you look, you’ll also see people who are pleased and impressed about something. In 2013, lots of people were saying the exact same things, particularly about how FP+ was going to ruin the parks. A year later, people were loving the new system. Change happens.

2 Likes

I’ve never loved FP. And things got worse with FP+. The parking rule change has me fuming, however. Before I was irritated. But now, for the first time in my life when it comes to Disney, I am just flat out angry enough to question my desire for our trip. I know, in time, I’ll get over it. But for me, the magic is fading, for sure, with this move.

2 Likes

The tone on Lines is similar to what I see on the Apple forums, where the fanatical love for Apple is under threat as people rail against both product changes and huge increases in price.

It can become confusing to know what your own opinion is as you absorb the negative opinions of others.

It does, but both Apple and Disney rely on the emotional appeal of their companies and products. I think there is a risk of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

That being said, when Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opens, things are going to go nuts. And clearly Disney is spending a lot of money, and not all of it is directly revenue raising, e.g. the Epcot gondolas.

1 Like

Actually, it does raise revenue. The gondolas can transport a ton more people for a lot less than the buses. It helps alleviate the strain on the buses, and potentially have fewer drivers and buses to maintain. If nothing else, it will help them shift the burden of the routes, etc.

I think our crazy passion for Disney makes any change feel personal. “How can Disney do that to me!”.

Chat cycles- drama, fights, meltdowns, snarkiness- it is part of the charm :wink:

9 Likes

I just returned from an 8 day trip 3/3 and reading all the boards and Facebook posts had me worried that I was going back and that the magic would somehow feel less than. I did not experience this once actually there. I worried for nothing. I view trips to Disney as an investment in memories, family time, and overall happiness. We came home with many great memories and feeling of being recharged (tired but full if that makes sense). The magic is there if you are a “Disney” person and it will always be there. Changes will always be happening as they happen everywhere all around us. Don’t let anyone ruin your anticipation for your magical vacation.

9 Likes

That’s a great way to describe the extreme in emotion with fans of a company.

I really thing this was long coming. Disney world is a tourist attraction and with the economy doing well they are milking it for all it’s worth ( to fund projects long over due imho) and actually create a profit. I would do the same. Not to give more ideas but I would have charged for riding the monorail as they do in Shanghai, charge for non-resort guests parking for dinner, charged for Disney Springs parking, and charge for ME.

As far as magic fading, we went during Christmas season last year and my son got sick then my daughter and we had nothing but amazing service from near every CM. I told my DH this is why we stay on-site and do Disney as a vacation. It’s an experience we can’t replicate at other resorts. Plus with a family of 5 cruises make me feel like a sardine, and we are all very fair so beaches are a great day trip but my kids are ready for some excitement within a week. That’s IF they don’t get fried!

I will still go as long as we can even if it means spreading out the time btw visits or staying off-site. But if I got charged for this trip $168 for parking isn’t going to break the bank on an already $5k vacation. They just won’t get me spending that amount on merchandise.

4 Likes

Agreed that the gondolas raise revenues - the other factor there is CSR can be priced more as a Deluxe resort rather than a moderate which makes it more appealing as a convention center. Having a direct “magical” transportation mode akin to the “monorail resort” will open up some higher revenue streams at the “gondola resorts” as well. At least presuming it is an enjoyable quick ride to specific theme parks…

Disney Magic in the parks will not change for me as a result of this. The complaining from the people is bothering me though.

Break it down - $13 a day for value. 9 night stay = $117.
I don’t know exactly how much I spent on my last trip with free Dining but staying at a value for 9 nights cost me roughly $5,000 for 2 adults and 1 child. About $1,000 of that was airfare not paid to Disney. At the end of the day, really what is the financial impact of $5,000 vs $5,117. NOT all that much…my park hopper passes cost more than that. I easily spend $100 on a nice dinner date with my husband. I think people are getting carried away and are failing to put this in perspective.

5 Likes

Yep, this pretty much sums it up for me.

6 Likes

Exactly!!

FOr me, it isn’t about the money itself. It is about the precedent and line that Disney has just crossed. Value-add up-charges are totally reasonable. But this parking thing is a kind of line in the sand for me.

2 Likes

What is this about cast members being ripped off? I’ve never heard that. I know they don’t make a lot of money, but I’ve not heard they are getting ripped off. How and why is that happening?

I’ve been debating within myself since yesterday about how I feel about this change. In reality, like others have said, a hundred bucks is not going to make or break our vacation. Would I rather not pay it? Of course, but it’s not a deal breaker.

In addition to simply increasing revenue, I wonder if Disney’s purpose in continuing to raise cost is to purposefully make it more exclusive. I know that word has a negative connotation and we all like to say that we want everyone to be able to experience the magic of Disney, but at the same time we complain about parks being increasingly more crowded throughout the year because lots of people can afford it with the upturn in the economy.

If that is actually one of their purposes and it actually works, I ask myself, do I like that idea? Am I willing to wait longer between trips and save more in order to possibly have a trip that is more enjoyable because I have more access to things with the lessened crowds? I am not sure how I feel about it yet. And of course, that’s all speculation. Just pondering.

2 Likes

We just got on board the Disney train so to speak, our first trip in June. We fell in love, but I had a hard time swallowing the price. I don’t like feeling taking advantage of. We already have a trip planned for Nov. but IF we ever go again we will stay off site and save some money. Both trips we’ve stayed deluxe and it’s literally money I need for my kids college. Also, I realize adding new rides, gondolas et. Cost money, but I’m just so sick of corporations passing all off that along to the consumer while they still make gazillions.

2 Likes

My wife, who is not a big fan of the parks and doesn’t understand my desire to go every year, thought it was just a big money grab. I think part of it may be a desire to thin the herd a little. We all complain that the parks are too crowded. If they don’t raise prices, those crowds will stay the same and we will all complain about how crowded the parks are getting. And it’s not like they aren’t adding new things. Star Wars, the new rides at Epcot, the Tron coaster, gondolas. If they were adding these fees without re-investing in the parks and the experience, I would be upset.

I did Disney trips in 2012, 2015, 2016 and 2017. I did Universal in 2015, 2016 and am planning to go in August. My plan is to wait to go back to Disney in 2020 after some of these new rides have hit. I’m purposely planning to skip 2019 as I think it’s going to be crazy with Star Wars. If we thought Pandora was bad, Star Wars should dwarf that. I’m somewhat frightened to think what it’s going to cost two years from now, but I’ll definitely pay it, I’m sure.

5 Likes

You are correct, you do not get what you’re paying for…which is A LOT.

2 Likes