Is DME worth it?

I’m spending my last night at the Contemporary so I’m entitled to use DME to get back to the airport the following day.

I’m taking an international flight, so I understand the departure from my hotel will aim to get me to MCO three hours before check-in.

I’m flying business class and with only carry-on baggage, so I don’t particularly see the need to get to the airport that early.

My original plan was simply to take an Uber to the airport.

Is there anything particularly special about taking DME? Is it worth the cost saving?

If I take an Uber I’ll potentially have an extra hour in MK on my last day.

1 Like

You can reschedule your DME if you prefer to leave later. There is a number to call on your transportation notice, which you’ll get the day before you check out.

1 Like

Last September, DME was still getting to MCO 2 hours before your flight (it was increased to 3 hours shortly after our trip). With 2 hours (which we initially thought excessive), we BARELY made our flight! It was a crowded nightmare!

1 Like

Yes, I heard about the delays before we went in October, and actually called DME to request an earlier pickup time. Worked out great.

1 Like

I flew out of MCO at the beginning of September last year and had enough time after clearing security for a leisurely Burger King and about a half hour wait at the gate before boarding. I arrived about two hours before my flight.

1 Like

Even this past week at around 6pm on Friday TSA at MCO was a hot mess. I was so glad I had PreCheck. BUT you can’t count on that being as quick and easy as it is because it is still being randomly given to people once to “convince” them that it’s worth it (and seriously, doing it at MCO is a HUGE selling point) so you still get clueless people in the line. Friday night we were held up because there was a couple who had about 4 full-sized bottles of water, sunscreen, mouthwash…and something else that they had to go through their luggage to find and remove - and of course argue that they should get to keep it. Still, it was quicker than the chaos that was the main line.

I know people like to whine about how “far ahead of the flight” DME gets you to MCO, but honestly in most cases even with something like PreCheck it’s a GOOD thing because TSA at MCO is ALWAYS a hot mess.

2 Likes

How is the building work proceeding at MCO? When is it scheduled to end? Isn’t it intended to speed things up?

Unless they are building new agents for TSA it’s going to make no difference. THAT is the issue - TSA.

1 Like

Are the busses at least nice? Do they make the journey special in some way?

You will love taking the Magical Express to MCO. You get to watch a film telling you all about the trip you had and how you should start planning your next trip. See you real soon! it states, and you say Yes, I will be back. They drop you off at MCO and the fun is over. Welcome back to reality! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yes, they are nice coaches and they play a video and cartoons.

2 Likes

It’s an OK bus, but it is still just a bus playing some Disney Cartoon shorts on a tiny TV. The journey of DME itself isn’t worth much IMO. The price is ideal though, but depending on what an Uber to the airport would run versus that extra hour at the Magic Kingdom, it may be well worth it. 'Course you also better hope it’s not a bad day at security or customs which could result in a missed flight…

1 Like

We did it at the end of January, leaving the Grand Floridian at 5 pm on a Friday and it was perfect for us. It was convenient and reasonably quick (we had to leave our stroller at bell at 4:00 anyway so we were stuck waiting af that point). We liked it because we would need Uber Family and then we’d be short one carseat so this was ideal for us. And one of our big bags had a broken wheel so any help with luggage was good, LOL.

Honestly, in your situation, I’d be really tempted to Uber it. The bus is a nice coach bus with a toilet (no sink and, oddly, not even hand sanitizer in there…) and it’s a nice ride to the airport. But for an extra hour at MK, I’d probably do Uber. Especially since you don’t need to get to the airport so early and you’re able to travel light with your carry-on. All depends on how much that extra hour is worth to you!

1 Like

The best part of DME is that they take care of your checked luggage. It is also convenient for families that would have otherwise needed to figure out car seats for little ones. Sounds like you don’t have to worry about either of these. I’d be wishing I was at MK instead of sitting on a bus while it made 3 more stops after CR on the way to MCO.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

I think I’m going to give DME a miss. There don’t seem to be any plus points for me (well, apart from saving the cost of an Uber) and plenty of minuses.

I’d rather have more time at WDW.

Good luck at TSA. Hopefully you get it on a good day. :slight_smile:

1 Like