Is Chapek right?

Not all the data. Between my wedding and DVC (both of which I know you’ve done/had as well), I’m into Disney well over 6 figures, BEFORE any AP’s or cash rooms in the 13+ years I’ve been going to WDW and DLR.

BTW, I know several “ultra rich” people who are as obsessed as I am. Vanessa Bryant has been several times with full entourage since Kobe’s death. Stars like Mariah Carey would often rent out entire lands after hours.

And also, people who own in Golden Oak or Club 33. There’s been a HUGE demand for a pay to play option that Disney has mostly ignored for decades. It’s always been EITHER money is no option/spending to the moon OR Free FP’s and oh well if you want to sleep in, snooze you loose. Yay for FINALLY finding a middle ground.

3 Likes

You got me! :laughing::laughing::laughing: What finally sold me on DVC was when the sales person said, “You know you’ve already paid for this, right?” I do know some famous and wealthy ppl love Disney too, but I don’t think they can sustain the corporate greed of the share holders. They need some of us regular folk to point to :laughing:

2 Likes

Absolutely they need everyday folks as well! It is a constant tight rope and I certainly don’t envy the powers that be. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

If anyone can find a way to make everybody happy 100% of the time, let me know, will you?

3 Likes

They have stripped away almost all benefits to staying onsite. Unless they reverse course and start adding back benefits they will be seeing plenty of empty rooms once the 50th boom goes away.

3 Likes

I know how to make me happy 100% of the time… By not trying to make others happy 100% of the time :wink:

5 Likes

Very true. (I haven’t looked at Hawaii pricing as I have been twice years ago and have no desire to go there). But my point is that a lot of people couldn’t fathom spending $10K on any vacation. I was perhaps exaggerating a bit with my numbers, but the fact is that WDW used to be expensive, but still affordable to an average middle class family with an average middle class income. That’s not so much the case now, and if the prices doubled it would cut a lot of previously regular customers completely out of the picture. Which is fine, if you are on the side of the split that can afford the increase. It’s a brilliant business model; limit it to the rich because they’ll probably spend more on food, drink, and merchandise anyway. Disney is clearly rebranding itself as a luxury item, and that’s fine. But I’ll miss going there if prices double as you suggest.

It may all just be bitterness that something that I have loved so much and has been such a significant element in my life is gradually pricing itself out of my reach. None of this is personal; I’ve been stewing over this for quite some time now, and your post just triggered a response.

Along similar lines, pricing for the Star Cruiser vacations have just been posted It’s a 2 day, 2 night experience that will start at over $4000 for 2 people and start at over $6000 for a family of 4. 2 days. The first day you never leave the “ship” and the second day gives you 9 hours in SWGE/DHS. And the crazy thing is that it will probably sell out the minute reservations start being taken. There’s another thread specifically discussing this.

I couldn’t agree more. And even the MK, compared with DL, is thin on rides. In the past 6 or 7 years they spent billions of dollars on three new “lands” and only added 6 new rides. Each one of the lands could have had at least one more ride. But original budgets were cut for both Pandora and TSL. Navi River was cut in length; there was originally supposed to be an outside portion as well as the inside that’s there now. TSL’s budget got seriously slashed; the “Woody’s Round-up” area was completely cut, SDD was shortened and the original landscaping abandoned, and at least one food location was cut. Even SWGE had a budget cut; there was supposed to be a liv show and a TS with views of the show.

6 Likes

That certainly seems to be the direction they’re going…

3 Likes

I know I’ve felt unwelcome of late :sleepy: Both as AP and DVC

1 Like

So I know everyone thought the new AP was going to “stick it to the locals” but it doesn’t really seem to, except saying “if you make a reservation, you better keep it”.

Maybe because I have only been to DLR as a solo traveler I fundamentally disagree with him here. I love the local you can chat with at the lounge, the college kids singing the songs to the parade and not a single person who wonders why you would add a day to a work trip to hang out there solo.

Yes, people hang out for hours to catch the parade. Isn’t that better than the WDW vibe that says “this is a once in a lifetime trip that will be RUINED if I don’t see and do it all”. (I have Varuca Salt echoing in my head). The last thing I think any of the parks need is “a greater sense of urgency”. Maybe it’s because I live and work in Washington DC where everyone is so busy, all the time. I don’t want urgency with my vacation.

My feelings on Chapek are neutral at this point. One thing I know I don’t care for about him is that he doesn’t seem to love the parks. I am first and foremost a parks person. The movies are a distant second. IP can work (Gaurdians at DCA is amazing). But I am really suspicious of a Disney leader who seems to take no joy in the parks.

10 Likes

It seems to me that people want both of these to be true

1. Disney should be more affordable
  2. Disney should be less crowded
    when they’re at best mutually exclusive and at worst, both going away.
7 Likes

I love this so much!

2 Likes

I think my animus towards the World’s Tiniest Disney Blogger is well-known around here, but the quoted paragraphs tell me he’s really gone around the bend. I remember when you could find him on DISboards, and he had a pretty good sense of humor, and was always up for some friendly verbal sparring. I guess, to paraphrase Captain Willard, his time in southern California really put the zap on his head, and turned him into a joyless Lifestyler and dour Young Fogey. With them, the parks aren’t for “fun” or “entertainment,” and certainly not lighthearted. It’s about a quasi religious experience, where how closely one hews to the catechism is everything.

Good God, say that too loudly and you’ll have the Inquisition down on your head.

Also too, if I ever find you in the Meat World™, I owe you one of whatever you’re having.

1 Like

:raising_hand_man: yes! This is the only reason I go to my professions’s annual conference there :grin:

I do love the vibe of DLR and I couldn’t place my finger on it before, but I think you’re right about it being the local, friendly vibe!

2 Likes

I don’t think it needs to be cheap. I don’t mind the crowds because it’s Disney World and I expect them. I’m going with my family in November/December and I told them this trip will be old school, like when I went twice with my parents and siblings in the 90’s. We will wait in lines (there was no FP anything in the 90’s), characters will randomly appear, and hopefully some shows will be back. Then we will take a very long Disney break and go on other vacations.

3 Likes

:joy: I love it! (Just don’t expect old school 90s crowd levels!)

2 Likes

I remember hour or more waits in the 90’s. With the size of the parks (and no AK) back then, I don’t think the crowd sizes were all that different. We are also going the week after Thanksgiving, which is traditionally a little lower in crowds since it’s coming off of a holiday. I don’t expect low crowds, but I think it will be less than other weeks.

4 Likes

Aside from getting rid of MaxPass on the highest tier AP and the new reservation system, the new DLR AP thing isn’t really that different from the APs before. I had the highest level one that expired in December 2019.

The park reservations is the game-changer. It lets them throttle attendance of AP holders if needed.

3 Likes

LA work was the best! No more for me unfortunately :frowning:
I have add one thing to the local vibe that makes DLR so nice - twice the rides in the same space. Makes it much more satisfying and easier to get more done. So I agree with everyone here telling WDW not to cheap out and to build more rides and experiences.

3 Likes

I somehow have missed seeing that. Like my online news, I prefer his more informational pieces to the ones that are more opinion based (his ratings of DLR hotels is really helpful).

Anything with bourbon as long as it doesn’t have any of Disney’s sour mix.

1 Like

Fiqqst.

1 Like