Is anyone else going to Disney World for the food?

I’m more excited about the character meals & the various types of food than I am about the rides/shows… Am I the only one?

1 Like

Oh, definitely not!

Our kids have severe nut allergies so we don’t get to eat out too often, and our son in particular has become a real foodie. The great job they do at WDW dealing with allergies and having information available makes the dining experience almost as enjoyable as the rest for us.

1 Like

My last trip was all about the food! I only did one character meal, but I seem to have developed an obsession with signature dining!

1 Like

I would do more signature dining if I weren’t going with my 5 year old (who is a picky eater). I am jealous!

To me the dining experiences are at least equal to the rides/shows. Our last trip was a “Foodie” tour of WDW with meals at Citrico’s, HBD, CG, Le Cell, Monsieur Paul, Sanaa, Artists Point, BOG, Narcoossee’s, TH, and the “crown jewel” - V&A Chef’s Table.

2 Likes

I have dreams about some food at Disney… Really I do! Hahaha but bad bad stuff that’s oh so good… Corn dog nuggets, poly pork nachos, Mickey bars, oh jap cheese pretzels, churros… I could snack forever there!!!

I always plan around where I am gonna eat. I love the food. It is definitely part of the experience for me!

Last year I had an AP and we had five trips. During that time I ate at: Kona, Ohana, BOG ( breakfast, lunch (2), dinner (2), Captains Grill, Boma, Rose & Crown, Via Napoli, Sanaa (2), Raglan Road, Hollywood Brown Derby, Flying Fish, California Grill, Yachtsman, Artist Point and Jiko (2).

I agree with @bswan26, now that I am over 50 the dining is just as important to me.

Disney World has so many dining experiences that are just downright unique to the average,everyday Joe, especially Epcot. Sci Fi Drive In, Be Our Guest, 50’s Prime Time, and Biergarten, were the most unique ones we did but I know there are so many more. I can’t wait to make it back down there to try some more of them.

I can’t believe it when I read so many posts where people complain about this restaurant or that one at DW having terrible food or service, etc. We were there for seven days and ate all of our meals in the “World” and everything was good. True, I’m not a picky eater, but I have eaten at many a fine dining establishment and I really mean that everything I had was very good food, even the quick service places were very decent. My family did not have a bad dining experience our whole stay and not even my nieces (12 and 10) complained once about the food.

1 Like

I got the dining plan so we could have 3 meals a day without the stress… And so I could do at least one character breakfast a day (I have a 5 year old) as well as a nice sit down dinner. To me, spending the money on the dining plan was a no brainer! I know a lot of people say it’s not worth it. Well, I must say, I can’t wait… Experience is just as important as entertainment!!! Going to the 50’s Prime Time Cafe is on our agenda, as well as Be our Guest. I thought the Sci Fi Drive in might be too scary for my kiddo, but it looked super fun!!! I heard that Yak & Yeti was really good at AK, so I am heading there too. You guys gave me great ideas!!!

1 Like

OK “foodies”. My daughter wants Mickey Waffles morning, noon and night. Can we get these other than breakfast and who has the best? And please help me with some unique WDW snacks that are a must try. Thank you.

At least half the reason I’m planning a trip right now is so I can go to BOG! I hope it lives up to the hype, but really, I’m going to be all starry-eyed and enchanted no matter what. If they give me a bowl of soggy raisin bran, I’ll be tweeting about the magical inventive theme-heavy peasant food just like the villagers eat.

1 Like

Disney Food Blog has a post about Mickey Waffles, but I don’t know if all that info is still current! The Wonderful World of Mickey Waffles | the disney food blog

1 Like

@jenphalian, that’s about right for BoG! My kids and I hated the food, but they had the best time, and even the teenagers fought tears when they walked into the ballroom. It’s very, very magical, and I cannot think of any dining experience that comes as close to perfect as BoG. Enjoy!! :smile:

1 Like

It’s really all about the VERY beautiful setting. I had lunch there and although not “bad”, was nothing above any sandwich you might get at any QS in the park. Plan a little extra time so you can look around all three rooms.

1 Like

Some day I aspire to do a WDW foodie trip like Bswan did. We live in the NY area and consider ourselves foodies, DS16 included. When we told DS of our upcoming trip at the end of this month his response was “Disney? I’m really not a rides guy. But I know you’ll pick some awesome restaurants!” So while I wouldn’t say we go to WDW for the food, it is an important part. That said, I don’t think any of my WDW meals have ever made my top 10 meals or even my top 50 for food. California Grill comes close but even that is mostly about atmosphere. It comes closest for me at having great food and atmosphere. That said, I haven’t eaten at Victoria & Albert or Jiko or Artist Point. They are all on my bucket list though. I think eating at WDW is about managing expectations. I don’t expect gourmet food. I expect a great theme, good service and tasty food. At a signature I expect better service and better food but still not best I’ve ever eaten food. Later this month we’ll be eating at California Grill, The Wave, BOG, La Hacienda, Brown Derby, Tutto Italia, and Tangierine Cafe.

I’ve eaten in upscale restaurants all across the country, and I have to agree with you. However I will say the dinner in the V&A regular dining room was as good or better than I have had anywhere. And the Chef’s Table is hands-dow the best culinary experience I’ve ever had - or am likely to have. 12 courses (custom tailored to your individual likes/dislikes) with paired wines (introduced and served by the somolier), served at a private table with introductions by the executive chef over the course of almost 6 hours… But it DOES come at a price…

I had the same experience! Excellent service and great meals everywhere. I’ve actually been accused of “stretching truth” in chat when I said we had a spectacular meal at Nine Dragons. And I meant it. I’ve had Chinese food in the “Chinatowns” of NYC and DC, as well as other places that people rave about, and Nine Dragons was the BEST.

2 Likes

My mom wants her vinyl for her MagicBand to say “Disney Foodie” for our trip in October!

2 Likes

I am looking forward to the food. For some reason, I don’t feel bad eating sweets throughout the day when I am at WDW. I have been taking notes from all the tweets and blogs on all the foods I have been missing because I have a few picky eaters in my family. Now that my children are older, we have decided that it would not be the worse thing for 3 of us to eat lunch at BoG while the picky eaters go grab burgers somewhere. There are advantages to having teenage children:)

1 Like