Is 2 solo mom trips in 1 yr too much?

So, I had an Alaska cruise (a group cruise, organized by a travel agent) planned for June 2020, then 21, then 22. As many of you know, it did sail in 22, but I missed it due to a death in the family. Missing it was 100% the right decision and I had travel insurance, and I also ended up with a large flight credit that had to be used soon. I ended up going to San Antonio to visit friends followed by Las Vegas, just b/c I wanted to see it, a week ago, and it was fabulous. I definitely needed the break right now as we are completely slammed with all sorts of kid stuff, work stuff, and moving (in town, for a better school system).

I have no regrets about this trip, but I am wondering now what to do about the cruise(s) I booked as soon as my June one was canceled. I immediately booked the next group cruise my travel agent had that I could go on, which is a Canada / New England for mid to late Sept, on Caribbean Princess. then I realized I still wanted to go to Alaska and booked Majestic Princess for early August. That is completely solo, which kind of scares me b/c I haven’t been on a cruise before (but prices of Alaska cruising means I won’t be going with all 5 of my family any time soon). I still really want to do one of these two trips (I can’t do both) b/c I’ve been really interested in cruising since mid 2019 and have waited so long. I have also considered canceling both and booking a Royal Caribbean ship (whichever one is going there) to some place such as Bermuda, which is highly recommended by my friends. I could leave out of Baltimore, which is easily driveable from my house. That would cut the cost by about 9/10! But, it’s not what I have been looking at for so long.

I’m seriously interested in the Canada group cruise, but it means leaving my DH with the kids for 11 days during school, right after the school year starts. They are older kids and will have the bus so he won’t be 100% needing to micromanage all this, and he’s ok with my going, but I feel sort of guilty since I just had a trip. However, the trip to Las Vegas was my first solo trip longer than a weekend in 6 yrs, and I’ve had 4 times a solo trip has been canceled during those times, so I feel justified in going to that and the cruise.

I keep thinking it would just be easier for all if I go to the Alaska instead, but I really wanted the group aspect of it. And, Alaska means very long flights that I don’t really want to take with my new physical problems that cropped up in the last year. However, I found out from my Las Vegas trip that I can handle flights ok, and Alaska was where I originally wanted to go. Plus, I just asked if I could be re-fared to a lower price and found out the Alaska has gone up in price since I booked. My other cruise went way down in price. This leads me to think that in the future if I want to book Alaska it will be more $.

That went on too long. I guess the bottom line is, should I go on one of these cruises? I feel like after doing all the major kid events for the next few months and moving everyone and every thing I will need another big break. I have until May / June to decide about the cruises b/c that’s when the final payments are due.

2 Likes

It’s never too much! :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

If DH is willing to do the school front, absolutely, I say, go!
I wouldn’t mind going completely solo, especially to a destination I had been planning to go on, but that’s me. I do think the New England one has a lot of pro’s (the group aspect & price for sure).

The best advice I have for choice from two really good choices is this (and it sounds silly but works, I swear): play eenie meenie minie mo between the two choices. Not because you’ll let the game necessarily decide but because in the moment when the game decides, you’ll discover if you’re really content with the decision or really disappointed and then you’ll know which one you want just the tad more.

5 Likes

If your husband is on board you should absolutely do it.

3 Likes

YES!!! If you don’t, it will be forever in the back of your mind…

I so want to go on a cruise to Alaska! I didn’t know it is more expensive than other cruises, so that’s a bummer.

3 Likes

My analysis that Alaska is costing more is based solely on one sailing of Majestic Princess in August. That doesn’t mean it would be the same other times of the season or on other ships etc.

1 Like

My take is yes, go. And if I were you, I’d do Alaska. Because there are some places there you can only get to by boat, because it’s a totally unique experience, and because that particular trip has been at least four years in the making for you. You’re right that Alaska cruises aren’t cheap, but you’ll be able to find many New England/Caribbean deals in the future for sure.

3 Likes

The Alaska trip is where I really want to go but the long flights to get there from the east coast are very daunting. If I take the Canada trip all I have to do is take a 3 hr train into NYC, so I don’t even have a flight to get to the embarkation. I have a lot of amtrak experience and think this would be a good plan for me. Then a relatively inexpensive flight home from Quebec. That, and that I wanted the group cruise, is what is motivating me towards the Canada one. Also I could see taking a child or two (or, possibly the entire family, although $) to Alaska someday. I really think they’d love it. And the Canada cruise is probably a pass for them, given that we’ve already driven the kids up the east coast a lot. One of the port stops is Boston, for example, and we did a spring break trip there a few yrs ago.

3 Likes

I totally get it! I did 6 trips last year. Four of them solo. Your family will be fine. They are capable and can handle it. You are just as much of an individual as you are a mom, wife or coworker.

If the only thing stopping you is guilt then IMHO you have nothing to feel bad about. if you think in a few weeks / months / years that not doing this is something you’d regret - then just go.

Seriously, if you have the money / time / means and this will not negatively impact anyone in a “long-term” sense - don’t wait. I hope we all live to be as old as we want, but statically we don’t. So, do the things you want / can today.

Not trying to be an enabler. If you had said, “money is tight and I might lose my job if I go & etc…”
I wouldn’t encourage you.

2 Likes

It is actually due to some work I’ve done the past 2.5 years that’s been difficult that I can afford the trip, so I feel justified in doing it. I think I’ve earned a nice trip. If I couldn’t afford it I would either not go or choose something more economical. I’ve definitely enjoyed our “let’s just drive somewhere close” trips.

2 Likes

I kinda already picked up on everything being OK with finances. :smile:

My closing thought was more of a precaution to those who might read it later. I’ve seen a few cases of people being “strongly” encouraged in these forums, when, IMHO, they probably should’ve held off on trips or major upgrades.

2 Likes

I came here to just say NO!

But then I saw this and I suggest really thinking about this option. I loved RCL and I love Bermuda and I think this would be a great solo trip and also one that might make you feel less guilty about budget. (But also, no guilt is allowed!)

1 Like

Life is short. Go on the trip! Go on the trip that will make you happiest.

Sometimes when I can’t decide on a thing, I try to pay attention to my reaction if I was told it was cancelled. If the Alaska cruise was cancelled (again) - how would you feel? Relieved? Sad? Indifferent? What about the Canada one?

4 Likes

I find myself leaning towards the Canada cruise b/c it’s more relaxing, I don’t have to worry about long flights, and I’ll get to meet some people I’ve been wanting to meet for a couple of years. I also think that I’d rather do Alaska with family, I just hate to give it up Alaska 4th time (2020, 21, 22…23…). The Alaska season is only late April - early Sept every year.

Honestly though I loved Vegas so much I’d actually rather cancel both cruises and just go back there! Problem is though I don’t handle heat well so traveling during the late summer or early fall would be like entering a furnace there. And I really want to try cruising. I started watching cruise vlogs daily in mid 2019 and still haven’t been on one. If I hate it, I should watch other vlogs (although I’ve come to like some of the vloggers so much I’d probably still watch them).

5 Likes

I resurrected this old thread to say that I have paid in full for my Canada / New England cruise for mid September. (!!!). I am very excited. I will be going with the group that I originally booked with 4 yrs ago and had rescheduled 4x.

I do feel kind of guilty about treating myself to this right now b/c we have a lot of costs (some unexpected) due to moving but overall I know we can pay for things so denying myself the cruise just due to that timing seemed unnecessary. DH was still willing to let me go even though it’s during school. There will be 3 weeks of school before the trip so that is plenty of time to get used to things.

Now I can buy the Amtrak train to NYC for the start of the cruise and the flight home from Quebec. I already have pre and post cruise hotels. I am also excited to book excursions as well. I did book one long ago b/c it seemed like it would sell out, but I haven’t booked others. But most of the ports are places where it seems like you could go around by yourself and find things to do.

7 Likes