So, I had an Alaska cruise (a group cruise, organized by a travel agent) planned for June 2020, then 21, then 22. As many of you know, it did sail in 22, but I missed it due to a death in the family. Missing it was 100% the right decision and I had travel insurance, and I also ended up with a large flight credit that had to be used soon. I ended up going to San Antonio to visit friends followed by Las Vegas, just b/c I wanted to see it, a week ago, and it was fabulous. I definitely needed the break right now as we are completely slammed with all sorts of kid stuff, work stuff, and moving (in town, for a better school system).
I have no regrets about this trip, but I am wondering now what to do about the cruise(s) I booked as soon as my June one was canceled. I immediately booked the next group cruise my travel agent had that I could go on, which is a Canada / New England for mid to late Sept, on Caribbean Princess. then I realized I still wanted to go to Alaska and booked Majestic Princess for early August. That is completely solo, which kind of scares me b/c I haven’t been on a cruise before (but prices of Alaska cruising means I won’t be going with all 5 of my family any time soon). I still really want to do one of these two trips (I can’t do both) b/c I’ve been really interested in cruising since mid 2019 and have waited so long. I have also considered canceling both and booking a Royal Caribbean ship (whichever one is going there) to some place such as Bermuda, which is highly recommended by my friends. I could leave out of Baltimore, which is easily driveable from my house. That would cut the cost by about 9/10! But, it’s not what I have been looking at for so long.
I’m seriously interested in the Canada group cruise, but it means leaving my DH with the kids for 11 days during school, right after the school year starts. They are older kids and will have the bus so he won’t be 100% needing to micromanage all this, and he’s ok with my going, but I feel sort of guilty since I just had a trip. However, the trip to Las Vegas was my first solo trip longer than a weekend in 6 yrs, and I’ve had 4 times a solo trip has been canceled during those times, so I feel justified in going to that and the cruise.
I keep thinking it would just be easier for all if I go to the Alaska instead, but I really wanted the group aspect of it. And, Alaska means very long flights that I don’t really want to take with my new physical problems that cropped up in the last year. However, I found out from my Las Vegas trip that I can handle flights ok, and Alaska was where I originally wanted to go. Plus, I just asked if I could be re-fared to a lower price and found out the Alaska has gone up in price since I booked. My other cruise went way down in price. This leads me to think that in the future if I want to book Alaska it will be more $.
That went on too long. I guess the bottom line is, should I go on one of these cruises? I feel like after doing all the major kid events for the next few months and moving everyone and every thing I will need another big break. I have until May / June to decide about the cruises b/c that’s when the final payments are due.