Inappropriate?

You keep bringing this up. But this is directly tied to our country’s bill of rights. You need to drop it.

3 Likes

The Bill or Rights also mentions freedom of speech, albeit not in this context.

The t-shirt I posted is overtly political and expresses a view not uniformly shared by all Americans let alone all visitors to WDW.

You cannot on the one hand object to Mickey Mouse wielding a sword and on the other hand not object to political slogans being worn. The latter, incidentally, are explicitly banned by WDW.

1 Like

When I saw this thread start the other day I absolutely wondered when you would bring this shirt up again. It clearly bothers you a great deal. I believe that I would have deleted any photo from my phone or computer that bothered me this much.

These are not the F words that most people are upset about their kids reading out loud or repeating. If they don’t agree with the connotation of the shirt they can discuss what the shirt means and their reasons for disagreeing.

2 Likes

I don’t even read this as “Don’t mess with my rights” so much as “Don’t mess with firearms” which is a pretty good life lesson, no?

I wasn’t suggesting you drop it for the sake of squelching speech, but because you continue to be bothered by it much like if you keep picking at a wound.

The shirt is NOT overtly political to me at all. Second Amendment protects our right to bear arms. That is our founding fathers saying, “Don’t mess with our firearms!”

Politics would be to what degree that plays out. But the fundamental point of that shirt is not political. It is American.

1 Like

Hehe!

To me the shirt is meant to get attention. The wearer certainly got the attention of the poster.

OK, so we’ve established the principle.

So if I wear a t-shirt that says in large bright letters on a dark background: “Roe v Wade is the settled law of the United States. Abortion is a legal right in this country”, you’d have no objection.

It’s not political. It’s a statement of legal fact. A decision of the Supreme Court, which was created by the Constitution and whose decisions all Americans are bound to follow.

Feel free to substitute Obergefell v Hodges.

4 Likes

Indeed. Which is why I argue it is objectionable. This is not about the law. It is about time and place.

You are not seeing the point.

Democrats and Republicans alike are in favor of the right to bear arms. One of our Senators is a staunch Democrat, yet is okay with the right to bear arms. She has made that perfectly clear. What she wants, however, that differs from Republicans is the degree of control over those rights. More background checks, for example, etc. That’s where it is political.

But it is a fundamental right of country to bear arms. That is apolitical.

Roe v. Wade is a different situation entirely. It is ENTIRELY political. It isn’t the “law of the land”, but a decision on a case that influences future litigation.

1 Like

You are allowing your own political view to cause yourself to be inconsistent.

As I have been reminded on these forums in the past, WDW is a place to escape and feel safe. The wearer of that t-shirt was unambiguously placing a flag in the ground of what her politics are. You can be sure that the only reason she didn’t wear her “God, guns and gays” t-shirt was because it was in the wash.

There is no self-consistent argument that opposes the Mickey-with-sword t-shirt but does not oppose the Five F’s.

You Americans are so obsessed with your rights that you never stop to think whether it is always necessary or appropriate or desirable to express them in any given situation at any given time.

The Five F’s t-shirt is political and is it designed to intimidate. It is wholly out of place at WDW and I’m astonished this view is even remotely controversial.

6 Likes

Thanks! :wink: Now you are starting to understand what it means to be American!

I whole-heartedly disagree. And I’m not afraid to say so!

To be clear, I don’t own a gun, nor would I allow anyone in my home to possess a gun while living at our home. But that’s what’s great. The Second Amendment grants the right. It doesn’t mandate ownership!

1 Like

You are wrong. The t-shirt has that intent and it had that effect.

I will be wearing my “Christians are Wrong About God” t-shirt during my next trip. I look forward to receiving your full support.

2 Likes

How do you know this? Seems to me it is more correct for you to say, “I interpreted the wearer of the T-shirt to have that intent.” Because you cannot know the intent of the wearer nor the designer of the T-shirt unless you asked them.

No matter how hard I try, I can’t see anything but that shirt essentially saying, “I am a proud American.”

1 Like

OK, let’s go with that. Can we assume that the wearer of the t-shirt is also sufficiently intelligent and open-minded to anticipate it might cause offence or intimidation?

So why did they wear it at WDW?

You know perfectly well why.

Just because you have a right, doesn’t mean you have to exercise it.

Proud Americans wear Stars and Stripes.

3 Likes

I think I already said this…

2 Likes

I don’t see any offense in the T-shirt, implied or otherwise. So I guess the answer to that question is, “No.”

But it is entirely possible for people to take offense when none is intended. Happens all the time.

1 Like

Not when people wear Disney-themed clothing.

You’re either stupid or a liar. You pick.

Must be stupid. Because now you’ve lost me entirely.

Let’s not resort to name calling please, we’re better than that.

2 Likes