In search of chickens — a mother/son trip

I love taking my kids on their own trip to Disney! This time, it’s my middle child’s turn. This trip is almost two years in the making. We were originally scheduled to go Labor Day weekend 2019 and well, there was a hurricane. Trip canceled. We rescheduled for June 2020 and stupid Covid so once again canceled. I was a little worried about Hurricane Fred ruining our plans, but Orlando has been spared this time!

Meet Ben! Since he also graduated from high school, we’re celebrating that too. This is one of his senior pictures.

Some things to know about Ben. He is not the most flexible person. He likes what he likes and rarely ventures beyond that. There will be no Star Wars or rides that go upside down, nothing 3D or shows with singing. He has quite a bit of anxiety and isn’t fond of being in large crowds so no fireworks. Some sensory things bother him so no rides where you get wet and sadly no BTMR because it is way too loud for him.

But, one of the great things about Disney is that there is something for everyone and plenty to do. There will be all of his favorite rides and great food. There will also be birds. Ben LOVES birds. At the moment he is especially fond of chickens! I’m not sure we’ll actually find any chickens but there are still plenty of birds to see. The macaws at AK are one of his favorite things ever! Most importantly, there will be quality together time. Priceless :heart:

52 Likes

I think you will find chickens in Rafiki’s Planet Watch affection section in AK!!!
You can check out magic of animal kingdom on Disney+ to see some of them before you go.

6 Likes

Have a great trip!!! :heart:

5 Likes

Thank you! I was hoping we might find some there. When I took him in 2014, he loved sheep and we spent tons of time there but didn’t pay attention enough to the other animals to notice if there were chickens.

5 Likes

Thank you !

3 Likes

So much fun!! I hope you and Ben have a fantastic time. I know you will!

(I can only think of two places with chickens, but both are fake. Do these count? :joy::44%20AM

19 Likes

There’s also chickens in the bird show at AK.

7 Likes

Full flight out of Providence this morning. We were A56 and 57 boarding and the bulkhead row was still open and there was overhead space. Great start!!

Lovely sunrise in RI.

I swore I’d skip the DME after taking it in April with my DD but here we are. It was a long wait and we sat on the bus a long time before moving out but we got a real one this time!!

@scrapper1617, sitting by Pluto!

34 Likes

Yay Pluto!! Megan would be jealous! :smile:

3 Likes

Living with the Land is one of his favorites so he’ll see the fake chicken there for sure!

I didn’t even think of Splash Mountain but I suspect he’s not wanting to get wet will trump seeing the fake chickens :joy:

11 Likes

I did not remember that! He loves that show and will be thrilled.

2 Likes

So excited for this trip for you!!

1 Like

Thank you! Hope you and the tornado brothers are well!!

3 Likes

21 Likes

I was wondering if you would do a trip report and then I saw this thread and instantly knew the answer was yes! I hope you and Ben have a great time! I agree, there should be chickens at Rafiki’s Planet Watch. Please say hi to Steve for me (all the Steves!).

11 Likes

It looks like Pluto is going to lick Ben’s head! So cute!

5 Likes

Ooh, yay!!

Have an excellent trip. Looking forward to photos.

4 Likes

Yep! You know us well!

We’ll give Steve your regards :joy:

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Our original 2019 trip was going to be at AKL and I offered it again but he loves Pop. He loves to walk the path here and loves the Skyliner.

29 Likes